Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Campaign Rules
Old 17 Nov 2007, 01:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Campaign Rules

Well, I was bored and I want to do a Campaign with my friends, so I wrote some quick rules and drew a quick map. Unfortunately it is hand drawn and I don't have a scanner, so a MS Paint piece of junk shall do.

This is an inverse version of those campaigns where you tend to get more and more units and get stronger until you get to an intense battle at the end.

No, this like some Iraq shit. At the beginning its nice and cool but those deaths seem to pile up and you start to ask for more out of a platoon of Guardsmen or something... Like killing a Predator or some crazy shit.

Da Map, (Basickally) :

Note that the map is divided is into sections and each section is given a name and a mission type in the list on the left.

Da Rules :

SETTING UP:

Select a territory to be your HQ. Do this openly, it's not a secret. After doing so, select three territories, take turns, one at a time with each other player. All territories must touch another territory you control.

Pick your army list. Beware, this is similar to those tournaments where you don't get your units back in the next game... All parties sent armies here expecting little resistance, so nobody will be sending any reinforcements.

1 2000 pt. Army.

2 500 pt. Skirmishing Armies. (From now on, abbreviated SA)
These Skirmishing Armies may not have an HQ unit (unless the opponent says it's okay.) Mandatory 3 troops choices instead of 2. They're skirmishers, not a collection of tanks.

The Army is placed at your HQ. The SA's are placed wherever you want in your territory.

Note that multiple armies/SA's can be on the same territory. Yes. 3000 pt battles are possible. But that should be the first battle, MAYBE. LOL.

Players take turns moving their armies. You can take an unoccupied space by simply moving over it. You can take an occupied space by fighting them in the mission given in the map above. The Loser goes back to an adjacent territory they control, if there are none then they go to an unoccupied space they don't control, and if there are none they are destroyed (Surrounded!)

This situation is referred to as Retreat-Death.

The person who controls the Harbor may send an army to any spot with the name "Beach" on it, or the Island.

How to win : Reduce all opponent's Morale to 0.
Tyranids and Necrons use this system, but that makes no sense, so pretend it's Infestation points or Ctan's hunger satiated? points.

Everyone starts with 10 Morale points.

Here's your handy dandy chart.

Take an enemy territory, unoccupied : +1 Morale
Take a neutral territory : No change
Lose a territory : -1 Morale (Does not include territory lost because you lost a battle, see below.)
Surround and force Retreat-death : +2 Morale
You got surrounded and retreat-died : -2 Morale (Actually -3, "Stranded")
Lost your HQ : -8 Morale
Captured someone's HQ : +4 Morale
Retook your own HQ : +7 Morale
Stranded (Surrounded but no Retreat-Death) : -1 Morale

Battles : Look at the results.
Draw : No change in Morale, however, if this sounds interesting, -1 to the attacker since they failed, technically.

BATTLES THAT ARE DRAWS, THE DEFENDER KEEPS THE TERRITORY.

Solid Victory/Defeat : +/-1 Morale
Crushing Victory/Defeat : +/-3 Morale
Slaughter Victory/Defeat : +/-5 Morale
If your main Army (The 2000 pt one) is Slaughtered, -8 Morale.

Conclusion :

This is a pretty quick type-up, not extremely well thought out, and my organization is something pretty atrocious...

Enjoy

Comments and Criticism, along with suggestions WANTED!

Old 17 Nov 2007, 04:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1
Default Re: Campaign Rules

This sounds very interesting, however, there are some comments I have. First is that the morale system is a good idea, though the rate at which morale is lost seems really fast and will end the campaign quickly. My other criticism is that you say it is "like some Iraq shit." If I take your meaning correctly it is supposed to be drawn out with units spread thin, however, it doesn't really seem that way to me with no penalties for losing a unit, and not really having to secure your territories. Especially since there's such a point difference between the SAs and the Main army. The main army will walk all over the SAs and if there is no penalty for losing a unit then the main army will essentially take no casualties.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

korik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2007, 10:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to ShasVre_Koyaan_KiVak

Quote:
Originally Posted by korik1
This sounds very interesting, however, there are some comments I have. First is that the morale system is a good idea, though the rate at which morale is lost seems really fast and will end the campaign quickly. My other criticism is that you say it is "like some Iraq Shtlk." If I take your meaning correctly it is supposed to be drawn out with units spread thin, however, it doesn't really seem that way to me with no penalties for losing a unit, and not really having to secure your territories. Especially since there's such a point difference between the SAs and the Main army. The main army will walk all over the SAs and if there is no penalty for losing a unit then the main army will essentially take no casualties.
The penalty for losing a unit is it is gone forever, if I understand correctly. That's quite a big penalty.

But, I agree, that campaign would be over very quickly, and the SAs have no chance against the main army. How about making the SAs 1000 points each, so if you have both of them attacking/defending a territory against a main army it's a fair fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot1kill
:sadnshocked:
Pedophile, bisexual, weirdo banana!
ShasVre_Koyaan_KiVak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2007, 14:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think it sounds very well thought out, but there needs to be some way of reinforcing your armies. Losing units permanently is extremely harsh and will end your campaign in a few short battles. If you're going for tense, but small Combat Patrol-style battles than perhaps just give all player 3 or 4 'armies' of 500ish points, that can be reinforced at certain territories, rather than giving them big armies that rapidly die off.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote