Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

End of balanced codexes?
Old 15 Nov 2007, 18:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default End of balanced codexes?

We all know the new Chaos codex - it made the army easier to assemble, generally cheaper and with some great advantages, making them a dangerous army. Not overpowered, but certainly interesting and with some marvellous-looking options appealing to inexperienced players, like Inferno bolts or seemingly indestructible Nurglites or loads of Demon Princes with Lashes.

What I am going to say. I had a chance to peruse through the upcoming Ork Codex. And it is crazy, people. Orks are more powerful than ever, with the basic orc costing as much as basic Guardsman, ability to charge with the whole army on the 1st turn, hand-held Ordnance weapons, Doks giving Feel No Pain to host units, vehicles which put old Chaos Codex to shame, with better repairing, more damage on Tank Shock and virtually untouchable passengers (short of annihilating the transport). Most importantly, all of this so dirt-cheap you can put 100 Orks in 1000 points and still give them lots of transports and power fists. The more I've read, the more powerful new Orks seemed.

How do you think, is it the new policy of GW, to make every new Codex more powerful than the last, to generate as much income as possible by luring players into buying new, more powerful armies every half-a-year?

[Mods: please move the post if it is in the wrong topic]
Max Smirnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 18:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: End of balanced codexes?

Given GW's recent run of (IMO) good, well-balanced Codices, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one, at least until I've seen them in action. What looks like pure cheese on paper might actually turn out to be quite different in action.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 18:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It seems like a week ago there was a post about how Codex creep had reversed itself. Gotta love different perspectives. I concur with you that the new Orks look strong. I for one would welcome a new member of the strong lists club.

Please be understanding of GW and don't criticize so harshly.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 19:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hahaha, how did it come to this? Orks... being considered strong!!??

We're just thinking that because the poor Boyz were the one of worst armies in the game... for a long time. There isn't a power level reverse, there is a sense of bringing everything back to the same level. Balancing has never been better in my opinion.

Oh and as a side note, Orks cannot charge first turn... Wharg can only be used turn 2+. I love the new Orks list, and I don't even play the army.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 19:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Orks now CAN assault in the 1st turn. Warpheads can initiate the WAAGH! with good chances, if you have two of them. Anyway, even when not charging at 1st turn, they're unlikely to suffer many casulties, due to special vehicle rules.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 21:00   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Special vehicle rules?

You do realise that the only special rule that I know of is being able to move through cover that bit easy. The open topped abilities can all be bought for other races like dark eldar, and similar effects can be gotten from firewarriors in falcons etc.

And lets not forget how easy it is to destroy a trukk.

Quote:
Anyway, even when not charging at 1st turn, they're unlikely to suffer many casulties
The chances are we are going to suffer even more casualties thn before. GW decided that grots are now smart enough to dodge out of the way of incoming fire.

Suuuurrreee the boyz can run that bit faster with a bit of luck - but try thinking of a way around it rather than complaining.

If we complained about everything in the game all that we would end up with is a game of risk - a giant bucket of grey with only luck as the only deciding outcome.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 22:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

considering 5th ed is apparently hitting us later this year with a thoroughly redesigned vehicle damage chart (a la apocalypse supposedly, that be 1 table...) as well as a supposed reworking of assault, i figure that the orks are being future-proofed more than anything else.

Im actually quite happy with the new orks. they change the whole metagame. you go to a tourney, you see mech-tau and mech-eldar, nidzilla, and SAD marines. hence a focus on small squads, and lots of high str low ap (and low shot count!) weapons. with orks, thats now changed. you need horde busters. and with the ork dakka, that damned holofalcon is a waste...

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 22:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Funny, I guess I'm the only player who has been following the Ork rumors with a "what the heck were they thinking?" mindset. I have actually stopped building my Ork army, stopped painting my Ork army and moved on to Chaos for the time being until I see the codex. My concern is that GW is taking away much of what made Orks Orky. I could be wrong...in fact, I probably am wrong. But the Ork codex being too strong? I highly doubt that.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2007, 06:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Whoa, I'm not complaining about Orks. Maybe they will be powerful, maybe not, but they're great fun to play with or against. There ARE some new special rules which will make Trukks' passengers much more resistant to the destruction of it. Anyway, I'll be playing 1,000 points test mini-game using that codex against Chaos. If I'll loose, I'll eat my shoes
Old 16 Nov 2007, 06:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
Im actually quite happy with the new orks. they change the whole metagame. you go to a tourney, you see mech-tau and mech-eldar, nidzilla, and SAD marines. hence a focus on small squads, and lots of high str low ap (and low shot count!) weapons. with orks, thats now changed. you need horde busters. and with the ork dakka, that damned holofalcon is a waste...

What? Both mech-tau and mech eldar stocks up on high strength and high ap weapons (pulse rifles for tau, scatter lasers and shuriken cannons for eldar being the staple weapons), whilst dakkatrap marines when played correctly can often be much deadlier than las-plas marines.

I mean not saying you're wrong but I think that view is overly cynical.

Also, bring on the orks! For a long time people have been telling me to stop taking so many shuriken cannons and scatter lasers over brightlances and starcannons, we'll see what they have to say when the green tide comes calling! 8)

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote