Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Units in Transports
View Poll Results: Is it legal and sportsmanlike to no tell your opponent what is in a transport?
Legal and friendly 14 25.45%
legal but unfriendly 31 56.36%
illegal (cheating is always unfriendly) 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Nov 2007, 16:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1
Default Units in Transports

So I've recently come to the conclusion that I may need to get rhinos for my footslogging CSMs. I've often heard that a great use of rhinos, and transports in general, is to take many and then not tell your opponent what is in each so they don't know which rhino should be a priority. Now, I've always asked and I've always told what's in a transport, so this seems a bit unsportsmanlike to me. SO here's my question: Is it legal ruleswise to not tell, and is it unfriendly?

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

korik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 16:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Units in Transports

Right from the BGB it says that opponents are not normally allowed to ask what's in each transport, but I'd say it's fine in a relaxed-setting. Just make sure you don't cheat, but remember which unit is in which transport.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 16:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Personally I'm fine with not telling your apponant what wargear your troops have, but if i was facing you i'd say that you can't not tell me what you have. For all i know you could be hiding some high point unit that takes you way over the limit of points and i wouldn't know untill you unload them. Though on seeing Droids_rule 's post, i'd say i'd like you better if you told me, but if you didnt i wouldn't be too bothered. Though it would be annoying if you where trying to write a battle report for the game as you play.
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 16:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'd prepare a list of what unit is in what transport beforehand. Besides, by watching what order you deploy in an opponent can often predict what's in a transport. This is one of those things I like to gauge an opponent on. If I ask him what's in one of his transports and he says something like "shoot it and find out", then I assume that the shell game is on. If he tells me straight up, then I'll tell him what's inside mine
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 16:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If someone ask in a tourny and you don't tell, then you might as well kiss your sportsmanship points good bye. I want to check the rules to see if its legal. Can someone spot me the page number?
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 17:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBunny
If someone ask in a tourny and you don't tell, then you might as well kiss your sportsmanship points good bye. I want to check the rules to see if its legal. Can someone spot me the page number?
pg 81, under Deploy Forces, last paragraph

I personally put marks on my transports to match the identifiers of my squads- it helps me keep the vehicles straight, and a repeat opponent is usually able to figure out what unit belongs to each transport without having to ask.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 17:15   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I should note that tournaments around here often require full disclosure, meaning your opponent has full access to your army list, including what wargear you are taking and which transports are for which units. They don't do it for Fantasy, but Fantasy was always balanced for hidden wargear combinations.

So I would never rely on transports to hide which unit is where. I would tell your opponent before deployment, and then rely on him to forget. And Rhinos make good mobile cover however you look at it.

The one army where this really frustrates me is Dark Eldar. That army list is balanced by the fact that your transports easily display their contents. But the model is shaky enough that many Dark Eldar players get lazy and don't use the platforms, which makes it very hard to keep track of which transports have Raiders and which are carrying the Wyches.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 18:28   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

definately don't tell your opponent whats in them as they may send their nasty little tank hunter boys to blow up your rhinos.

Robert Haylor
The Facebox-Online Community Development Forums
downswarcouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 19:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would argue that not disclosing the contents of a closed-top transport vehicle is far more realistic. And I could'a sworn I saw this problem addressed in the rulebook also. In fact I went looking for it because I don't intend to reveal what is in each Rhino. But I would also never ask an opponent what is in their closed transports. Otherwise you are taking something away from tactics and "fog of war" - IMHO.
dave_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 20:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think I prefer something in-between: you don't have to tell what is in the transport, but you should tell if it's empty or not.
That's theory; in practice I feel comfortable both asking and disclosing this information.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote