Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Wraithsight: Writing battle reports, at 30,000 feet!
Old 14 Nov 2007, 02:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Wraithsight: Writing battle reports, at 30,000 feet!

Wraithsight: Writing your battle reports, at 30,000 feet

A strange morning here. Leaving my home, with its dark ashen sky- a testament to the recent fires that had me wondering last night whether I’d be on this plane right now. It isn’t that bad though- besides being a little worried about the state of affairs at home- my flight is okay so far- I’m ignoring the movie and happen to have enough elbow room to type this up without breaking my wrists the way I have to on other planes. But I digress. The purpose of my trip is business- but recently I’ve figured out how to properly transport my army on planes- which has really opened up more opportunities to play against different players all over the country.

But from an experience standpoint- how good are those experiences if I don’t have some way of recording them? How can I, or my opponent learn from our battles? And how can you the reader- learn about me and what I actually do when it comes game time, rather than just taking my list/strategy advice over this anonymous internet?

One answer is the good ‘ole battle reports. Maybe like me- one of the reason you started exploring sites like this and other 40k fansites is that you were looking for answers, advice, or you wanted to get a feel for how something works, or looks, or you just wanted to read something interesting from the hobby. When I’m lurking a board or browsing a 40k site- one of the very first things I look for is a battle report.

Why should we write a battle report?

Well- from the standpoint of self-preservation, why would a competent player wish to write a battle report? And even if they do write battle reports- why should a vet share that report for the masses to review, scrutinize, and learn from? I mean certainly there are reasons for not wanting to write a battle report, like trying to keep your best tactics secret, or not wanting to publicize a humiliating loss, but on the whole- writing a battle report helps every single person involved- from the opponent, to the anonymous reader, to the website on which you publish your report, and most of all- YOU. That’s right! The person who benefits the most from writing a battle report is the author of the battle report, which I hope to explain shortly.

For now- let’s start with the other benefactors, first- your opponent. Sure- it may be a little humiliating for your opponent if they lost badly, but they get a glimpse of your perspective as well as a record of what led to a loss in the first place. In the case that they win- there’s no humiliation for your opponent, and they can enjoy another person’s account of their glorious victory by understanding the author’s perspective- plus it’s probably pretty cool to see how other people shoot photos of your mini’s.

Readers benefit from battle reports tremendously. I happen to be very fortunate to be in an area rich with many different players, different armies, different philosophies, and a number of armies at my own disposal. What’s even better is that I can now travel for work and tote a portion of one of my armies with me- which keeps me entertained while on the road and always presents new opportunities to find and play even more players and armies. Some players aren’t as fortunate as me- maybe they are limited in what kinds of opponents they can face, or they may be limited in their own choice of army and units. Maybe the reader is just a brand new player, or someone interested in playing an army similar to one of those included in the battle report. Even if the reader is an experienced veteran with any number of armies or opponents available- there’s always something new to learn.

In addition, whatever site or forum you publish your battle report to benefits as well. Battle reports increase the interest and readership of fansites like Tau Online- so the site staff definitely appreciate the effort you put into writing a battle report. Battle reports- especially well written, illustrated, or photographed battle reports bring depth to the fansite, and they can be enjoyed over and over.

So- all of these people benefit from your battle report, but in all honesty, the person who benefits the most is- you. As the author of the battle report- you benefit in almost every single way that opponents, readers, and even the fansites benefit, as well as other important ways as well. One thing writing a battle report does for the author is it makes the author review their battles more critically. It enhances your ability to recall important aspects and details of the battle, and to record those for future reference. Writing a battle report increases your abilities in not only writing- it may also improve your ability to photograph or draw up diagrams of the battle. Writing reports also helps establish rapport with the membership and staff of a fansite- so for Tau Online members writing battle reports earns the appreciation of fellow members- which lends credence to your advice and helps other members better understand what you do on the battlefield so that they may in turn help you better. From the standpoint of the staff- a member who writes a quality battle report will earn kudos and respect from the staff- which often manifests in karma, special perks like custom titles, and even helps staff consider whether you might be a potential candidate for Modship or other position for the site.

The bottom line is- writing a battle report is good. It’s great for your opponents, it’s good for readers, fansites, and most importantly- you.

What makes up a good battle report?

A battle report can range from anything like, “Ha! 2000pts of my Elderz pwned sum orkz, and I shot bam and killed his fings an stuffs…” to much more detailed reports that include fluff, full army lists, turn by turn description, and pics or photos. Don’t be intimidated by some of the high quality battle reports you see on sites like this. Just do your best to recall or capture as much as you can and you’ll get better as you understand the process better.

Let’s look at some elements commonly included in battle reports:

Pre/Post-game fluff

This is one of my favorite parts of reading a battle report- understanding the fluff behind why we’re at war in the first place! Fluff as part of a battle report is great- it gives you an idea of what the perspective armies and commanders are designed to be like- what the terrain might look like, and it gives you someone to root for if you’re a fan. The fluff portion of the battle report isn’t considered a critical element for most battle reports, and while it is just as often conceived prior to playing the game- you might consider it as one of the last parts of the report to write- which I will explain shortly.

Intro, author’s notes

Battle reports need not be just a collection of observations and events- often what sets them apart is the author’s willingness to share insights, intros, comments, and notes as part of the experience. An example of an intro might be a description of the author’s day that landed him in that particular store/house/club, and intro of his/her opponent, or some other factor like playing in a tournament or campaign. Notes are great too- you can write notes or comments about your or your opponent’s army list- like why they like to take three units of wraithguard, or things to help clarify the battle. Comments littered through the battle report are fun- sidebar remarks about gestures, the game being interrupted by rampaging gerbils, or how god tht burrito tasted in between turns give the report some personality, and personally I’ve found recording these comments in your head a good pnemonic device. For example- even though it never happened- I like to recall Ged doing the “cabbage patch” dance after failing to shake my Falcons for 6 full turns. It’s just one of those things that helps me recall the battle, and a fun “memory” if only my daydream of the event (Ged actually raised both arms triumphantly in the air to celebrate his massive amount of luck…which is equally memorable, but I wanted to think one of us did the cabbage patch during our game).

Army lists

This is a fairly straightforward component of a battle report, and considered one of the critical elements of a battle report- so this is really something that should be included in all battle reports. Army lists should follow all the rules for the site on which you post them (such as no individual upgrade or model costs on TO), and should be spaced and unit upgrades clearly noted. IMHO, it isn’t absolutely critical that you include every detail about both armies, but army lists should be clear enough so that the reader can follow the whole report and reference the lists when necessary. A good practice here is that when referencing multiples of the same unit type, or transported units- to assign a more simple codename, like taking the name “Dragon Wagon” to denote a unit of Fire Dragons transported in a Falcon, for example, or you can assign multiple identifcal tactical squads a name or number, like Tac 1 and Tac 2, so it’s easier for you to keep track of it all. When assigning a nickname or codename to a unit- include it in the army list for easy reference.

Diagrams

There is a split of opinions regarding what is better to include in a battle report- a diagram of the action or actual photographs of the battle. A number of factors may influence your personal preferences regarding what to include – whether that be access to well-painted mini’s and scenery, having a software that makes diagramming easy, or not having time during a tournament to photograph anything. Diagrams are very powerful tools for the author and reader who prefers to see the “X’s and O’s” of a game instead of/in addition to the actual miniatures used. However- the drawback to diagrams is that they often take longer to generate than just uploading a photo, even if the photo requires some editing. Still- diagrams realy shine when it comes to things like properly depicting deployment, and tracing the actual movement and progression of units throughout a battle.

I used to generate diagrams without Vassal, and I admit that was a massive pain- mainly because the only software I had capable of generating a diagram was MS Paint. If you don’t have Vassal, nor do you have the ability/time to generate diagrams via Paint, you could make very simple diagrams using text like X’s and O’s.

Of any diagramming tool- by far the easiest t use is Vassal- so I highly recommend it. Diagramming a battle on Vassal is as simple as generating a battlefield, moving your pieces around, and taking snapshots of your recreated game, turn by turn. I normally use the CTRL + PrtSc (Print Screen) button to simply cut and paste a Vassal game into an image on Paint. Just hit CTRL + PrtSc once you have moved all the vassal pieces into place and then open up paint. Make sure the “selector” tool (the box made up of dotted lines) is pressed, then simply press CTRL + V to paste your screenshot into Paint (it will literally paste a “snapshot” of your desktop into Paint, so make sure your whole game board is visible when you hit CTRL + PrtSc). Next, use the select tool on paint to cut away your game board- just drag the square template over your game board and then right click and select “Copy” from the menu. Then, just open up a new file and immediately right click and select “Paste”. Now you should have a diagram.

Once this is done, you may make any number of revisions to the Vassal game board, including drawing arrows or writing notes on the board- Paint is excellent for doing these kinds of things. Once your edits are done, make sure the borders of the MS Paint file are nice and tight with the game board, and then just save it as a .jpg.

While diagrams aren’t absolutely critical for a battle report- the use of diagrams and/or photos makes for a quality battle report.

Photographs

What’s more fun than reading a battle report from another member that includes great photos of painted and converted mini’s? Why- doing it for your own battle report of course! From a hobbyist point of view- photos realy give the report life and personality, and they are easily the best eye candy for people who may not be initially reading a report, but it’s something that draws in readership. The fact that you can’t tell exactly what is going on in a photo helps- people see miniatures lined up against one another (or just stand-off photos of a unit) and start to wonder who is winning, who is losing, what’s going on?- and so photos are great reader traps, as well as the chance to show off some really cool mini’s and take the reader into the heart of the action.

One thing you’ll need to understand is that photos have a few issues in that they are most commonly captured “live” during a game, resulting in some down time, which can distract you and your opponent. Before photographing a game- take a common courtesy and simply ask your opponent’s permission to take photos. Then- pick your spots wisely. I generally like to take photographs immediately following deployment, at the end of turns, and I like to shoot close-ups of critical charges or stages in the battle. Make sure your opponent knows you are about to shoot a photo, so he/she can help with the aesthetics by removing dice, tape, or other materials as well as adjust models to make them look “cooler” when shooting a photo. It also helps that you don’t have grubby hands, arms and potato chips in your photos provided you’ve given proper notice before snaping a photo!

The other consideration you need to work out is your camera. Cameras are constantly changing- in terms of their resolution, optical and digital zoom, flash, memory, etc. Your camera can be as simple as a 35mm disposable camera to the really fancy telescoping lens devices that professional birdwatchers and photographers use. I’m guessing most of us fall somewhere in between these extremes, and I argue that either extreme may be bad for photographing battles- though please note I am no expert in the area of photographing miniatures. Anyway- one of the problems you might encounter with a cheapy camera with poor resolution are blurry, unfocused photos (camera-phones are tend to be very poor at shooting photos). The opposite problem may be too much detail and resolution in a photo, resulting in visible imperfections of the miniature’s paint jobs (differences in paint sheen- which is called “flashing” in my business) which takes the focus away from the miniatures and cool battle and shifts it towards chips in the paint jobs, or eyes that look bad when examined too closely. In addition- these better and better resoluted photos take up too much disk space, which is a serious consideration for hosting your images and conveniencing the reader.

My favorite camera to use for battle reports is my 2 year old digital camera , without using any optical zoom, and using the lowest possible resolution (1.2 Megapixel). I absolutely swear by this camera. With only a 2GB memory card I can store over 1,200 photos, and without using a flash this thing is very unbiased. For image hosting purposes the photos take up between 200-400K, which means I can simply adjust the aspect ratio of the image (or just clip the photo) down to a size between 60-140K, which is much harder to achieve at the higher resolutions that most cameras these days are running. I’ve become so comfortable with this camera that I really don’t adjust the photos (for color, brightness or clarity) once they’re uploaded, and anything that makes generating my report faster, is better.

A note on hosting images

This website already has plenty of material on how to properly host images, so I won’t include much here, just a courtesy note about trying to keep file sizes down, for your own sake and the sake of the reader. If the reader has to load images of ridiculous file size (they called them IoRFS in the Fire Swamp, find the reference, ) they won’t be to pleased with reading the report. I try to keep my file sizes below 150K each so they load about as fast as your average sig, and on a 10MB site (common size for hosting), you can store dozens and dozens of these images. For diagrams, make sure you keep file size down by saving the file as a.jpg, and you can always shrink the size of the image before you host it (sometimes diagrams on paint are HUGE and you don’t notice on your screen- another reason why CTRL + PrtSc is cool).

(contined...)
Old 14 Nov 2007, 03:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Wraithsight: Writing battle reports, at 30,000 feet!

Haven't had time to read it all but that looks like a fantastic guide.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends. a friend of a friend (The First Cortana Letter) R.I.P KJ
freezing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2007, 20:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

(continued...)

Turn Sequence and Detail

By far- the most critical part of any battle report is the detail of the game. This is probably where you’ll spend the most time writing and recollecting, so it’s best for you to try and dial in how much detail you want to include during your battle. Too little detail leaves a battle report that no one can really follow, and the games sound like simple head-on collisions, so a great deal of tactics get lost. Too detailed reports are both tedious to read and to write. It’s as boring (if not more boring) to include each and every single die roll as it is to have to read about eah and every die roll. Your best bet is to stick to some key elements in the report, without becoming excrutiating.

Once you have included the army lists, and identified the mission (as well as other important aspects of the game like table size and terrain), you should capture information about deployment. What’s tricky here is that most games of 40K require that the players alternate turns deploying units, so capturing this realistically may be long and challenging. What I like to do is start with the player (in reference to yourself, if you did not deploy first) who deployed first, and note the general location of each unit, using terminology like the following:

My Deep Left Left Center Right Deep Right

I also denote whether the unit is “up front” (at/near edge of neutral zone), “set back” (a few inches back from neutral zone) or “deep back” (at/near table edge).

I like to explain deployment and movement using the reference of me playing from the bottom of a page, while my opponent playes from the top of a page. I use terms like “My” and “Opposite My” to help denote locations:

Opponent
Opposite Deep Left Opp Left Opp Center Opp Right Opp Deep Right
My Deep Left My Left My Center My Right My Deep Right
Me

All movement and deployment described during the battle report use this same reference to better help the reader keep up with the action. So to sum up deployment, use yourself as the reference point, and start with the player who had to deploy first, going through the deployment of all units (include whether they have decided to start mounted, deep strike, or infiltrate) in reference to yourself before moving on to the other player. You may decide to move from left to right, or describe the deployment in standard FoC/Mission order, and I’ve used both myself (but personally left-to right seems to make the most sense to me).

The only exception I use to this is infiltration. Infiltration is critical to the strategic understanding of a battle, so I like to call out infiltration sepertely, and denote any nearby enemy units.

Make sure you label and separate individual player turns. You can label them simply like “Chaos Turn 1” and this just makes it all easier to follow. Make sure to cover the highlights, but there is little need to describe every single unit’s movement. For example, if one of the armies is relatively static- you might only mention the units that actually move in te movement phase- it can be assumed that stationary units like Dark Reapers or artillery isn’t going to move unless you specify it- so don’t bother saying “the Dark Reapers that I deployed in cover remained in cover so they can shoot.” The opposite situation is true for horde armies- it is likely that multiple units in a tyranid army, for example, will simply use their whole move to close ground between them and the enemy, so unless it is a different direction or a special movement you might just say “all the tyranid units left of the Zoanthrope moved forward.” Describing the exact movements of each and every gaunt, genestealer, or warrior will just make the battle report a longer read without providing any real benefit to you or the reader.

Another key thing you’ll want to cover when describing movement is imminent charges. If you include something like, “The harlequins banked left to try and engage the assault marines,” then the reader knows the movement is a forward-left movement that is possibly within assault range. Denoting this kind of placement is can be very beneficial.

Covering shooting and assault is a similar concept. You don’t need to recall exact shots unless they are a crucial hit, and for massed firepower, you might also cover multiple units with the same phrasing, i.e. “ The Vyper, jetbikes, Warp Spiders, and Dire Avengers fired on the orks, killing 8 from the unit.” It isn’t absolutely necessary to know which of the units killed how many orks unless you are demonstrating something like “My jetbkes are awesome- they inflicted 6 out of 8 orks casualties along with the Vyper, Warp Spiders, and Dire Avengers.” Just remember that you can consolidate actions from units that are supporting one another (not to mention this is a really good way to play- support your units!)

Assault is easiest to depict by including the charge and result in the same area, “The Striking Scorpions charge the Firewarriors, killing 6 and then massacring the survivors as they try to flee.” In large, multiple unit assaults, it may be easiest just to recall the result of the combat rather than the individual wounds inflicted. You’re more likely to remember when and how you had to check morale, make consolidate or pile-in moves, or get a massacre roll versus losing 3 guardians, a warp spider, and a ranger versus 4 guardsmen from one unit, 2 from another, and 3 from a third unit. If this is all the same combat you might just say “ The multiple combat result ended with more casualties suffered by the Imperial Guard, forcing them to check morale.” One thing you may want to key in are the actions of heroes and individual characters- not only because everyone is interested in seeing how many guys Yriel catches in his Eye of Wrath, but because individuals often have significant impact on the result of assaults.

Summary: Keys for each turn

1. Separate player turns and indicate army

2. Separate Rally/reserves/psychics + movement from shooting, and finally assault.

3. Consolidate actions from supporting units or groups of units.

4. Indicate imminent assaults, and key moves, or shots.

5. Include heroic actions with assault results.

In addition to including your key elements each turn, there are a number of other “extras” you can include in describing each turn:

Extras

Victory conditions update: Sometimes it’s good to begin a turn description by updating the reader on the victory conditions, such as “Right now I’m in control of 1 table quarter, while my opponent holds fast to two..” These types of updates (which might just be an update of current VP’s earned) are powerful for depicting shifts in momentum or lead changes. For objectives missions an update before describing the final turn is particularly powerful.

Good fortunes, or blaspheming the dice gods!: I know I said that including individual dice rolls isn’t a good idea, but occasionally you may want to include comments about probability and unusually good or bad dice rolls. This is because- as many of us know- that despite a player deciding to take the most statistically advantageous option, that it is fate (or the dice) that have the absolute final word on what actually happens. Take this for example: Abaddon the Despoiler charges a unit of 6 grots, but is killed without causing any casualties to the unit. (Hey- it can happen…) Without describing how bad (or good- if you’re the Ork player!) the probability of that happening is- an ignorant outsider may have an unreasonable understanding and may be led to believe that this is a regular, expected occurrence and that the decision to charge 6 grots was a poor one. It might be more helpful to say, “I shook my fist in anger as I rolled 2,2,2,1,1 to hit, while my opponent rolled 5,5,5,5,6,6 followed by 6,6,6,6,5 and I subsequently fail 4 2+ saves!!!”

Terrain considerations

Terrain can be mentioned in both the deployment/setup area, plus important pieces of terrain should be noted in the main recap. Particularly if the mission involves specific pieces of terrain they should be called out by name during the report, and it’s easiest to use common terminology that the main rulebook identifies (bunker, wood, ruins). With the ability to destroy terrain features like anti-plant barrages, gargantuan creatures, and bunker assaults- it might be a good idea to consider these events in the appropriate shooting or assault phases.

Personal notes

Personal notes and commentaries are an excellent way to personalize a report and entertain the reader, so long as the comments are properly spaced through the recap (meaning- the comments don’t detract from the report), or are consolidated both before or after the report. I’m of the opinion that battle reports should include personal commentary, as the reports feel flat and factual without some of the author’s thoughts and attitudes about the game. It’s easy enough to write a factual recount of how your Drop Pod marines decimated a Kroot Mercs force, but did you have fun? What were things you could have done better? What did you find that worked out very well? It might be “optimal” for us to critique lists for each other all day on these forums, but maybe you found that playing the list, while successful- led to a boring game, maybe that’s something the reader might want to know about. Personal notes can be made about the army lists, about what led to the game, about expectations and discoveries pre/post game. It’s all useful information, even if the reader doesn’t agree with you they get more insight on where you’re coming from.

Now that we have an idea about what goes into a battle report, what must we do in preparation of writing a report when we play a game? Especially when we want to have fair amount of detail, photos, lists, etc. it might seem like a battle report has to be pre-meditated, and meticulously recorded, and photographed in order to generate a quality report. Of course- this is a great way to regard the preparation of a battle report, and given the time and means it would be the way I do it, so long as all this extra writing, recording and photographing wouldn’t impede my ability to finish the game, concentrate on tactics and strategy, and not require a stenographer present at the game.

If you’re like me- time is the most critical 40K commodity. I lead a fairly busy life and trying to find time away from work, fiance’, etc., that fits into a schedule agreeable with 40K buddies is the biggest challenge of all. Chances are- most of my prep time will be used writing a list, building, or painting, so time to prep and generate battle reports is further reduced. Still- I have developed my own methodology for generating a quality battle report on the go. I never have time to record notes during a game, and playing pickup games means my opponents rarely have army lists for me to keep for the report, so a lot of my reports depend on memory of the game- which can be questionable when it’s a week later and I’m trying to record a battle.

I think most of us who play pickup games face the same challenges, but if we can reduce the issue down to taking a few photos during a game versus stopping to write and losing focus during a game I think it might help more of us write reports. Anyway- here’s what I do.

The first thing I do is print my own list- even if it’s my Eldar army and I have my favorite units and points all committed to memory. Despite having core elements at different points values- I make subtle changes to army lists to help me tweak tactics or configurations, so having a written record of at least your army roster will help.

Next- I always bring a camera. I just use my backpack (that includes rulebook, codex, dice, templates, etc.) as a semi-permanent home for the camera. When you play pickup games most of the time you never know whether your opponent will field a silver and gray force of proxied “un-photographables”, or a beautifully painted and converted army that the camera is in love with. It’s often easiest to just compliment great looking armies and ask if you can photograph the battle.

As for snapping the photos, you want to get good shots, but not slow the game down to where your opponent is frustrated, waiting for his turn while you move dice and templates out of the way, or find the best angle. I normally like to shoot photos after movement and just after an assault. It’s not really a good idea to shoot photos during shooting or during assault mainly because these are parts of the turn that involve rolling dice and performing calculations. You don’t want dice in the photos, nor do you want to forget results as you are concentrating on getting a good shot, so try to stick to parts of the turn that don’t require dice or calculation.

Essentially, the only thing I do during a game is shoot the photos. This isn’t very time consuming, but it can be if you don’t pick and choose when you want to take photos. The first time you’re preparing a battle report with photos- you might want to shoot more than 12 photos, especially if you are newer to the game and aren’t sure what are going to be things like key charges, or key firefights. I wouldn’t suggest taking more than 15 shots for a one-on-one game of 2K or less, but if you’re looking at a larger game with more than two players- you may want extra shots because it may be difficult for you to keep track of what your teammate and multiple opponents are doing.

Remember the basic rules about shooting a photo- try to eliminate as much as possible game accessories such as rulers, dice, and templates (unless they are photo-friendly templates like smoke, wrecks, or craters). If you can’t remove the items from the table, for instance the 60 odd dice from an ork charge, simply ask the opponent to sweep the dice away towards an edge of your photo so you can clip it off later.

The main thing with taking photos is following a few ground rules and being aware of the “sweet” distance capability of your camera. This is because the thousands of cameras out there will behave differently. Some cameras can take better photographs at a fair distance (over 1 meter) using the optical zoom, while other cameras are better at right about 20-24” using digital zoom and resolution to get you a clear picture. Remember the key is to get a CLEAR photo- it doesn’t matter if you can read the runes on the Dire Avenger’s tabards if the photo loses meaning as you can’t see the unit’s target.

Which brings me to another key- photos of lone units (not engaged with an enemy unit) don’t serve much purpose in a battle report. Even if it’s a really long range shot (like a Railgun shot) you want to at least try to get a photo of the unit and its target. One of my favorite things to do is to shoot the photo from the perspective of the firing unit (close-up) with the intended target at distance. These are fun, flavorful shots that help immerse the reader in battle.

Likewise in assaults it’s better to take the photos before assault is resolved, but after charges are resolved. Do your best to have the mini’s facing one another, just for aesthetics. If you really understand your camera- you can even bring focus to the melee you are trying to capture and allow the rest of the battle to appear blurry- this gives the reader the feeling of a swirling melee of a battle.

Once you get home…

Once your battle is over you now have some homework to do. Because I rely a lot upon memory for writing battle reports, the very first thing I do is start typing up my report, sometimes starting at the end of the game, sometimes starting with deployment- depending on how well I recalled the game. I tend to type up the entire reports (except the pre and post-game fluff, and personal notes) before I upload and edit my photos. Once the main body of the report is done- you can then personalize it as you feel necessary without having to strain to remember everything- my favorite part of generating a battle report!

That’s about it for writing battle reports. I hope that those of you who survived reading this article are more encouraged to generate your own reports, or at least inspired to try sometime. In the end- battle reports can be as easy or difficult to generate as you wish- the only hard and fast rule is to keep it about the battle, use proper posting practices (alliteration-woot!), and try and keep it enjoyable.

Thanks for reading!

- Yriel
Old 15 Nov 2007, 00:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Due in no small part to the inspiration your article brought me, I just wrote up a new battle report in the Tau section. Unfortunately I have no good camera for taking pictures, but I am thinking of making an image of the field. Thanks for the inspiration.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 07:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

unfortunately I don't have time to read this all properly now but WOW!

Bookmark this me has! ;D

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 14:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Fantastic Article Yriel, no doubt it will be a great help for many members.

+1 Karma.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 16:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberwolfCY
Due in no small part to the inspiration your article brought me, I just wrote up a new battle report in the Tau section. Unfortunately I have no good camera for taking pictures, but I am thinking of making an image of the field. Thanks for the inspiration.
Haha, as I was reading this article I was wondering if it would lead to an influx of people doing BatReps all over the site. Hopefully yours is the first of many.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

korik1 is offline   Reply With Quote