Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

40k Universe Poll
View Poll Results: Is the 40k universe...
The future of OUR world, with all the natural laws and such the same 30 37.97%
An alternate reality/version of our world (hence the Old Ones and the Warp) 49 62.03%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Nov 2007, 15:13   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default 40k Universe Poll

So basically I've been trying to figure this out. The tagline is "the far future", and so with that, you may think this is a stupid, pointless poll. But it really isn't. In our world there is no such thing as the Warp or Old Ones: the earth was not "seeded" by some race of intergalactic beings. As far as we know, there ARE no aliens.
So this leads me to conclude that 40k is not, as it suggests the far future of OUR world, but rather the future of a sort of alternate reality: a different "version" of our world, if you will. Obviously, it has some similarities, but we're not going to wake up some day to find out that the Jokaero have made contact with us. There's no discernable life or signs of energy usage throughout the measurable star system. So at least the backstory for 40k cannot claim to be an accurate reflection of the real world.

Again, this is more for personal purposes, but I'm interested in seeing what everyone thinks. Which is it? Real world in the future, or alternate reality?
Old 10 Nov 2007, 18:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 40k Universe Poll

If this is the 40k universe than we ARE the Old Ones. The Old Ones and the Necrotyr were warring billions of years ago, far more than the six billion or so years old our physicists estimate the universe to be. So for this to be the real 40k Universe, the race that is the Imperium won't pop up for another 50 billion or so years.

Short answer: no, it's a fictional universe made up because magic and stuff is cool.
Old 10 Nov 2007, 18:56   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hmm. I'll ask what I did in another thread: so, did the American revolution happen in the 40 universe? I don't mean in another form, or allegorically, I mean are we supposed to be living the 40k history? Because what with the Old Ones and the Warp and all, I tend to think the answer is no, but...
Old 10 Nov 2007, 19:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

I believe that the 40k universe is a continuation of ours. There is no way for you or me to prove that there is no warp or the old ones, because it's impossible for us right now. Hell, the Emperor was even born in Anatolia (Turkey) around 6000 b.c., IIRC.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2007, 19:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

It's based off of Earth, but it's so far into the future that it hardly really matters.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2007, 19:55   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

It is based off our universe, the Big E built his palace on the ruins of W'Illo R'd, in Not Ingam.

It can easily be based on ours - we do not have the technology to detect the warp, so it could exist.

Quote:
far more than the six billion or so years old our physicists estimate the universe to be
Maybe its not the first incarnation of the universe....

Quote:
did the American revolution happen in the 40 universe?
Why would this be relevant to the 40k timeline? I'm not saying its silly, but the American revolution is a drop in the proverbial ocean compared with the 40k universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindgobble Witherfume
It's based off of Earth, but it's so far into the future that it hardly really matters.
Best way to think of it, really. Yes, 40k has our earth as a very distant ancestor, but in the 38000 years to then, we unlocked the secrets of the universe, made gods walk among men, and conquered the galaxy.

Then destroyed ourselves with our own creation :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2007, 20:01   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

The 40K universe, like most sci-fi universes, follows the rule of most, if not all sci-fi.

Everything is the same as our universe up to the present date, save where;
a) the canon and/or continuity of the fictional universe states otherwise (ie: Dr Who and the Battle of Canary Wharf).
b) referances to the fictional universe exist (ie: Star Trek the TV show did not exist in the Star Trek universe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2007, 20:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I believe 40k to be our universe.
I also say it is not only that, but the prophecy of what has not yet come to pass.
Old 10 Nov 2007, 20:11   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Darkside
I believe 40k to be our universe.
I also say it is not only that, but the prophecy of what has not yet come to pass.
Well, it does contain the oh so typical:

Man makes machines.
Man makes machines that can think.
Machines get pissed at taking orders from the flesh bags.
Machines kill man.
There can be only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2007, 20:15   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

It was written to be our universe, and so it is.

If the 41st millennium is on the same time scale, and I think that it is, it actually all works out fine. In our time, the Old Ones are long-dead, and the Necrons are asleep. The Eldar have not yet begun their expansion, and Orks aren't spreading very much. The Fall of the Eldar and the rise of the Imperium occur around the 31st millennium, but the first human and the Eldar empires arose well before that, but not necessarily before out time.

Thus, in our time none of the other races are active. The universe is still in a long quiet period since the end of the last great war a billion or so years ago.

As humanity does not achieve psychic ability until somewhere around the 25th millennium, we would not now be aware of the Warp in any significant way, and the Eldar have not yet "stirred it up". I was not aware that there was any mention of the Old Ones seeding humanity, so that much works as well.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote