Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

MathHammer!
Old 08 Nov 2007, 17:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default MathHammer!

I'm doing a project in my Probability and Statistics class on Warhammer 40k and I was wondering if ya'll could help me some.
  • How do I explain Wh40k to a old guy? He knows I play a bunch of games and sadly, he has them all confused and I don't want to make him feel stupid because he's a good teacher.
  • Primarily, I'm working on the probability for everything that involves rolling a dice and I don't know how to organize my thoughts to start. All I have currently is the BS but that was easy.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2007, 21:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: MathHammer!

1.) Compare it to Chess. It's Chess but instead of just capturing, you roll some dice to capture.

That sucked. But it might work.

2.) Probability charts? WS vs WS at constant strength, Str vs Toughness at constant WS

I dunno.
Old 08 Nov 2007, 23:29   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to NeoKudo

Just something that popped into my mind after I read this... he may enjoy it if you describe what happens in war hammer as a certain type of probability distribution.

i.e.... massed shooting vs. tough targets may be described as a Poisson distribution (many shots, relatively small success probability = bound to happen eventually)

My stats and engineering professors love talking about distributions, so thats just my thought

hmm.. well I don't know how helpful this comment will be.. but its just something that cropped up.
NeoKudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2007, 04:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

W40k in general is probably comparable to a game of Chess, just with the added complexity of freedom of movement and dice rolling as part of the gameplay. So things like attacks (any sort) come down to chance, skewed by certain other factors such as weapon properties (Str, AP, Armour etc).

But it's a tabletop game so you play it on a ... table top, rather than a grid or chess board.

I'm not quite sure what you're doing there, but you can do things like probability distributions (discrete) for BS, and work out stats like, the chance of hitting a specific number of times, or hitting more than, or less than a number. But I'd do that manually just by looking up normal distribution tables.

You can look at things like.. a whole chain of processes - give it a BS, the number of shooters, the Strength and AP of the weapon, and the Toughness and Armour (and cover or Inv saves) of the target, and it will tell you the average number wounded, taking it all into account. I've done this with a spreadsheet a step at a time, it's a little confusing to get your head around the combined formulas. To take it a step further, you can give it a certain number you want to be wounded, and you can calculate the probability of this happening?

Up to you as to how far you want to go with it...
Old 09 Nov 2007, 14:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

For some reason I've got this feeling I might end up with battle calc. DX

Still, this should be interesting. I'll keep ya'll updated, I plan on just doing a series of probability chart things, but in the end I ended up working out who would win between a squad of IG and Fire Warriors.

Turns out, the Fire Warriors would win.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote