Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Does Anyone Know the Proper Rules?
Old 07 Nov 2007, 10:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Does Anyone Know the Proper Rules?

As a new 40K player I am getting very frustrated by my opponents not knowing the rules!

The kids in the shop haven't a clue what they are doing, most of them don't have the rule book and a lot of them don't even have the a codex for their army!

The older players aren't much better and seem to play a combination Rogue Trader and V2,3 & 4 of the rules!

This is really starting to get very annoying, half the time I am having to tell them the rules and the rest of the time I am accepting what they are telling me as correct only to find that in fact they are wrong when I check it up later!

Roland

Old 07 Nov 2007, 10:20   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Does Anyone Know the Proper Rules?

Well, IMO, and there have been exceptions, not many people under about 15 know the rules very well. This isn't a dig - this is just how I have seen the young'uns play.

There are exceptions, and many people on here, and a few at my club are different to this, being damn good gamers, but the ones I've seen in GW usually don't.

Many of us oldies at my club are a bit more relaxed when it comes to a rule - we have a good enough idea, but if something needs checking, it needs checking. Thats not to say we don't know them, but we tend to not fuss about placement of a comma etc, and just use common sense, especially over RAW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2007, 10:29   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

All of our club regulars started playing in 3rd Edition 40K.

As such, just about everyone plays "3.5"; using the 40K rules, and conveniently slipping back into 3rd whenever it makes more sense (which tends to be everytime you do something besides move).

Likewise, we play 6.5 Fantasy. We still play 1st Edition Gothic (although we are slowly phasing in the "1.5" modifications).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2007, 10:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well I've been playing 40k since I was 13, now I'm 14 and I know practically all the rules off by heart I've probably played about 6 games now? I'm usually reminding my opponents about their own sweeping advances and similar things, maybe I should just keep quiet?
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2007, 10:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendak
I'm usually reminding my opponents about their own sweeping advances and similar things, maybe I should just keep quiet?
never stop that untill you are at a tournament. it makes for a more friendly atmosphere.

but personally, i started playing in August 2006. i like to think that i now know the rules at least enough to get me through my regular games, though i do sometimes get "caught out" (at home i use DVD cases for buildings so i usually get caught out where terrain is concerned)

i find that i am the start of most rules arguments though. simply becuase most of the guys i play against have been playing since 2nd ed (or before) and they keep coming up with wierd rules.

as a rule of thumb i find that if i have not heard of a rule, i challenge it and find its from 3rd ed
Old 07 Nov 2007, 11:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I started when 3rd Ed came out, and it's bizarre thinking about people who've just started and to them 3rd Ed is as alien as 2nd Ed was to me. I can't get round that =/

However, the only thing that really annoyed me is they stopped Guess Range weapons making you... guess the range. Sure they could be horribly accurate, but just have them scatter a bit. It was part of the fun =D guess ranging an indirect fire Basilisk at 184" is so much more fun than just putting down the template and rolling for scatter.

On the subject of rules: I know most of them. Lots of people I play against don't. Especially in Fantasy.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2007, 11:33   #7 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

3rd Ed to 4th Ed was a much much smaller jump than 2nd Ed to 3rd Ed was though. In alot of ways I can see that being worse for players like yourself.

Its hard to confuse a rule form 2nd with any of the later editions because there the game is built on a completely different model and alot of the rules just don't' 'fit' anymore.

An outdated rule from 3rd could concievably sound right to a 4th Ed player who didn't know. But this all just goes back to me 4th Ed is really 3.5 (this was pretty much admitted by GW before it was released aswell).
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2007, 11:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Yes. The rules from 3rd Ed don't feel out of place in 4th at all, so it's that much easier to get confused - e.g. Guess Range weapons, Sweeping Advance... I was so surprised when I discovered that a bunch of special rules had been put in the main rulebook that would previously have been in the codices.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2007, 11:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I try to know ALL the rules, especially the ones concerning me and my army. There are several reasons for this:

-If we forget a rule during a game, and I win, was it only because of that rule? Likewise, what if I lose?

-Not using a rule could be considered cheating.

-It is good sportsmanship to know the rules. After all, two players make a "social contract" to play a game, and such a contract only makes sense if both people are playing by the same rules...

Where I play, most people know the rules. There have been some superstitions, but my friends and I cleared them up. We try to do everything by the book, because we believe that the rules are balanced with the armies. Change or forget a rule, and you change army balance as well.

Of course, 40K is a learing experience. I`m playing since 3rd Edition came out (but I`m playing WHFB much longer), and there are still rules I need to look up. I also constantly try to refresh my knowledge of the rules, and especially these boards help me a lot to better understand the rules (and the game as such).

@Staffordgames: If the kids have no idea, try to encourage them. Make Combat Patrol events, where the rules can by tried out in small games. Encourage people to stop playing people who don`t have a Codex and/or a Rulebook.
Group pressure really is a good way (i know, normally, it is a bad thing - but it can be harnessed for a good cause) to get people to start learning the rules (especially if they can`t be bothered to do so in any other way).

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2007, 11:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

same at my store, none of them know the rules properly, or they'll half read them, use the advantages and not notice the important disadvantage :P such as the redployment assett, they tried moving there baneblade across the board fro teleporting terminators, and didn't read the 'the move can't come within 12" of enemy'

and as a tournament player i know all the rules, but if you keep reading trough the rule book you'll find new ones, i found out that you can nominate models to take saves if you cause enough wounding hits in one initiative phase

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote