Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Two Handed Weapon Question
Old 06 Nov 2007, 14:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Two Handed Weapon Question

can someone point me to the page that explains two handed weapons. I spent about 20 minutes last night reading the close combat section, and couldn't find anything. do two handed weapons reduce a model's number of attacks?
Old 06 Nov 2007, 14:41   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Two Handed Weapon Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing
can someone point me to the page that explains two handed weapons. I spent about 20 minutes last night reading the close combat section, and couldn't find anything. do two handed weapons reduce a model's number of attacks?
No. But you can not claim the +1 attack from having two close-combat weapons.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2007, 14:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Gotcha! Thanks
Old 06 Nov 2007, 15:10   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I should clarify, though. There are a number of models in the current version of the game who can carry a two-handed weapon (such a Bolter), and also carry a pistol and some type of close-combat weapon.

In this case, they still get the bonus +1 Attack for having two close-combat weapons, even though they also have a two-handed weapon.

There aren't many two-handed close-combat weapons in the game. But where they exist, they do not confer the +1 attack for two weapons, even if the model carrying it also has a pistol.
Old 06 Nov 2007, 15:15   #5 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

Don't monstrous creatures ignore that?
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2007, 15:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
I should clarify, though. There are a number of models in the current version of the game who can carry a two-handed weapon (such a Bolter), and also carry a pistol and some type of close-combat weapon.

In this case, they still get the bonus +1 Attack for having two close-combat weapons, even though they also have a two-handed weapon.

There aren't many two-handed close-combat weapons in the game. But where they exist, they do not confer the +1 attack for two weapons, even if the model carrying it also has a pistol.
But that is only through the special rule, True Grit, which allows the weilder to use their gun in a pistol-grip. Ordinarily, if you have a two-handed weapon and a one handed weapon, regardless of whether it is a ranged or CC weapon, you must choose one or the other and cannot gain an attack bonus. (Thus, a IG sergeant with a shotgun and a bolt-pistol still only gets his base attacks)

The only exceptions to a two-handed weapon yeilding no bonus attacks are Tyranid Scything Talons (which have a different mechanic, anyway), and the Kroot Rifle's ability to be used as a double-ended spear.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2007, 15:55   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
But that is only through the special rule, True Grit, which allows the weilder to use their gun in a pistol-grip. Ordinarily, if you have a two-handed weapon and a one handed weapon, regardless of whether it is a ranged or CC weapon, you must choose one or the other and cannot gain an attack bonus. (Thus, a IG sergeant with a shotgun and a bolt-pistol still only gets his base attacks)
True Grit is something different entirely. What I meant is the case where you have a model with three weapons, for example a Bolter, a Bolt Pistol, and a Chainsword. In this case the model has a two-handed weapon, but also gets the +1 attack in close combat for having two close-combat weapons. This only showed up as an issue recently, and I am not sure if GW fully understands the issues with it (i.e.,effectively 2 base attacks for all Chaos Space Marines).
Old 06 Nov 2007, 17:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I hate posting specifics when asking rule questions because I never know when I'll give too much info and upset GW.

BUT, I'm using a howling banshee with a two handed CC Weapon, so I don't think she can use it and her pistol. But I could be wrong so I will reread the section in the eldar book. I was just curious if there was anything in the main rule book about two handed CC weapons.
Old 06 Nov 2007, 17:24   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing
I hate posting specifics when asking rule questions because I never know when I'll give too much info and upset GW.

BUT, I'm using a howling banshee with a two handed CC Weapon, so I don't think she can use it and her pistol. But I could be wrong so I will reread the section in the eldar book. I was just curious if there was anything in the main rule book about two handed CC weapons.
As I said, there is nothing specific about two-handed close combat weapons, except that you can't use them with other weapons. In the case of the Banshee, she doesn't get +1 attack for having two close-combat weapons, since you are correct in saying that she can not use the pistol and the sword at the same time.
Old 06 Nov 2007, 21:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

The dark eldar have a way of sneaking past this rule.

Dark eldar punishers are 2 handed and do not confer a plus 1 attack for 2 close combat weapons.

Except using a tormentor helm, a splinter pistol that has been incorporated into a helmet which can be fired while even using a two handed close combat weapon.

This allows the wearer to gain the extra attack for 2 close combat weapons.

Siruk is offline   Reply With Quote