Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Reserves Question
Old 31 Oct 2007, 16:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY
Default Reserves Question

Alright, I'm probably openning up a real can of worms here, but here goes...

Okay, so there was a topic in the Tau forum I was reading, and they were talking about the fragility of tanks, and one member remarked that to another that if their tanks are getting killed turn one, he should hide them. To this the first member remarked that he often had no place to hide them, and so did not take tanks (or something like to that effect). A third member remarked that he should simply keep the unit in reserve so that it can't get killed turn one.

There were mixed responses, but the conversation didn't last that long. So, I want to ask definitively, can you do this in missions without specific "Reserves" rule?

The member saying to do this in the first place claimed that as long as Deep Strike was allowed, keeping a unit in Reserve and moving him onto the board from your table edge was legal, since the Deep Strike rules use the Reserves rule. Under all the standard missions, there was no "Reserves" entry for "Scenario Special Rules," however there was a seperate box labeled "Reserves" on all of them going on about if available, you move them on from the board edge. This of course is very grey, so I'm not sure about it.

On the one hand, I have the possible option of holding my precious Hammerhead in Reserve to keep it from getting killed first turn if I don't get good terrain on my side, and on the other hand I have, well, whatever I played before. I see the option of keeping the tank in reserve as a great option, but I don't know if it's legal.

Thoughts/Comments?

Thanks for any help in advance.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2007, 18:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Reserves Question

There is nothing to say that you cannot use reserves in almost any mission. Look at the missions pages 81 to 83 in the rule book. No, "reserves" is not mentioned in the "scenario special rules" section. However, don't you think that the fact that almost every mission says Reserves: in the bottom right-hand corner, followed by instructions on where they come in suggests that the rules are always available? In addition, although in the Omega level descriptions, most of them say "Escalation" under the special rules, yet none of them say "Reserves" despite the fact that, under the escalation rules, in talks about escalation only being usable with the Reserves rule. Therefore, we can assume that the Reserves rule is always available, except possibly in combat patrol.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 18:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i want to know too, i got dammed confused because they didn't actually say if you can(and when) put the tank in reserve.
It would be perfect to suddenly pull out a tank from to board edge, and save it from that dam fire prism.

oops sos you just posted whilst i was typing
Old 31 Oct 2007, 18:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

The answer to this is that reserves is, per se,not a rule which is used by a scenario.

It is rather a means of determining when units become avaiable for entering the tabletop.

For example, Deep Strike tells you how to place the units, when they become available is stated in the "Reserves"-rule.

Similar, "Escalation" states that only infantry units can be placed during deployment, the rest enters game with the rules for "Reserves".

"Reserves" doesn`t work on its own; it needs another rule which expressively dictates it.

All the "reserves enter from tableedge X" refer to the reserve rule, of course - but this doesn`t mean that you can use this rule alone. It only clarifies hat, IF reserves are used by another special rule, where they enter game from.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2007, 20:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Gamma Level and higher missions use the Reserves rules.
You are, legally, allowed to place whatever you want in to reserves.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2007, 21:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

nice im gonna try this out next time
Old 31 Oct 2007, 22:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
Utterly untrue.

I wish it were like ou said, but Bonesaw got it right. Only units that have a special rule like deep striking or the necronwrriors via the monolith may be placed in reserves.

The other way is that the mission itself dctates parts of your army to be held in reserves, for example esclation.

Greetz, Trogdor

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2007, 22:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, now we've got two on each side... I maintain that reserves can be used as RZ and I described. If they couldn't, it would most likely say under the Reserves rule: "This rule can only be used in conjunction with Deep Strike and Escalation." Actually, I don't know why they'd bother to have a seperate Reserves rule at all if it can't be separate. It just wouldn't make sense.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 22:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

why don't you mention that to GW, i'm sure they will listen ;D
Old 31 Oct 2007, 23:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
Utterly untrue.

I wish it were like ou said, but Bonesaw got it right. Only units that have a special rule like deep striking or the necronwrriors via the monolith may be placed in reserves.

The other way is that the mission itself dctates parts of your army to be held in reserves, for example esclation.

Greetz, Trogdor
Ahh, Trogdor, RAW supporter to the end. :P
Anyways, for the Deep Strike and Escalation rules it states, iirc, that the Reserves rules are automatically in effect.
Deep Strike is a special version of Reserves, allowing tactical placement.
Escalation is a special version of Reserves, dictated by battlefield conditions.
Reserves itself, is simply holding units back from the front lines.

Okay, by RAW, you can't use Reserves as I said, but that isn't how the rule was intended to work. Most of the time, I'll err on the side of RAI vs RAW, as RAI is closer to the spirit of the game, and I'm only playing for fun, not to win by some niggly little forgotten comma, full stop, apostrophe or squig :P, etc.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote