Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

To new players, would you?
Old 27 Oct 2007, 23:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to RaShan
Default To new players, would you?

I'm believing this would be the place to post.
Something I was thinking about in the shower : and was thinking,you know most people are told or "informed" that they should play the space marines because of the ease and variety they can use in there army and how flexible they really are..

This is the situation, you own your own hobby store (weather you really want to or not,CONFORM DAMN YOU!!) and some new kids about 14-16,come in to ask about the hobby. How would you direct them? What would you tell them? Also assuming they ask the questions most of us did when we began: Whats best? How do you play? What would be good to start with,ect..

Just curious to see what most of you would put,so post away.

Tau {to be named} Victories
Win:5 Lose:4 Tie:2

Consider it a success if you can talk a Khorne Berserker out of taking your skull at the first instant he meets you

(loads plasma rifle) BANG!

Oh look, he understood me. =D -Faolin

I could almost see that.
Like if a few Tau went off and they were found and brainwashed and what not. Then, they are made into Tau Marine things. That would be crazy. "And they shall know no close combat skills"~ Xv15 Stealth
RaShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 23:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: To new players, would you?

I'd show them all the available models, and ask what he likes the look of. Which army catches his eye?

When he shows interest in a race I'd let him see the Codex and give him a summary of them and answer any questions he has. Perhaps show him something in the rulebook, codex, White Dwarf, or anywhere else that may interest him regarding this race. Anser any questions on playstyle, painting, etc.

Risne and repeat.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 23:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Brass Claw

Droids_Rule has pretty much the same method i would use. The "what army looks cool to you?" method seems to be a good sales pitch. Then getting him the basics like the rulebook, paints and such.

You could also add, "Does any of your friends play? If so what army?" then give them pointers on how to play agaist that type of army. Also Demos are always a good, especially if you have a the models have to newb is interested in.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 03:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yea but the only problem is that SM are always cool. How can you not like the hard as nails, good at just about everything, genetically modified humans that kick butt in the Emperors name?
Old 28 Oct 2007, 03:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to RaShan

See..People like you need to die..lol but really hey what ever "you" would do.

Tau {to be named} Victories
Win:5 Lose:4 Tie:2

Consider it a success if you can talk a Khorne Berserker out of taking your skull at the first instant he meets you

(loads plasma rifle) BANG!

Oh look, he understood me. =D -Faolin

I could almost see that.
Like if a few Tau went off and they were found and brainwashed and what not. Then, they are made into Tau Marine things. That would be crazy. "And they shall know no close combat skills"~ Xv15 Stealth
RaShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 04:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Personally, I would show off my army and if I was playing my opponents army giving the pros and cons of both. Then I would give them a quick run through of the armies and let the newb decide which one. If they wanted to play SMurfs I would just request that he doesn't use Ultramarines. There are just too many of them.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 05:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten

At the GW where I started, when new people came in, typically, they'd give them a run-down of the game and the armies, then do a demo game for them which was basically just a pseudo-mission from (and using) the Macragge (or the applicable fantasy or LotRs set) with the person/people, then from there they'd try to determine which army the new person/people would like to start... usually there were enough people playing games or working on models that they could show other armies than just marines and tyrannids... That's probably the way I would do it...

When I went to buy my first sets I already had done research and new what I wanted (Tau), but I played along with them and it seemed like they tried to sell me on everything but Tau and Chaos... and one time I feigned interest in buying a box of repentia with some temp employee I'd never met before... he like to had a fit when I suggested it... ;D

Though I did end up buying the Macragge set, and my first game in the store was a 400pt-ish (me) vs 500pt-ish (not me) SM vs SM game... my 2 5-man generic tac squads (one squad with missle and a converted plague-marine for a sergeant, and one squadwith flamer), a techmarine (the old model w/ one servo arm) w/ no servitors, and a librarian vs two 10-man tac squads, something else I don't remember, and a tooled up SM Commander... needless to say, I lost... and got the shaft when in my ignorance believed my opponent when he told me I had to roll to hit with a flamer... :
Old 28 Oct 2007, 06:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

See it's assholes like that dude who spoil it.

If the 1st person you met in a hobby (game based hobby) cheated against you, you wouldnt exactly wanna play that game anymore.

Old 28 Oct 2007, 06:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten

I don't think it was intentional since the guy was fairly new too... and by the next turn we found out that the flamer firing had gone horribly wrong... we made an attempt to retcon it, but either way, I only had the chance to kill one guy in the 10-man squad... and I was already at around 60% squad strength... not exactly a game changer...
Anyway, we did have fun and I never really expected to win with my cheezeball force... just wanted the experience ;D
Old 28 Oct 2007, 06:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Show them each and every army (perhaps some examples of painted units in the GW catalog), and then describe its background in brief. Then get one that they like both the look and the background of. Finally, explain exactly what the pros and cons of playing this particular army is (stats and stuff). This way, people will end up playing the army that they truly like, rather than picking one because they think they'll win with it. And no Ultramarines. I'd pretend they didn't exist.

Just kidding, no offense to UM players. o.o