Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fusion and Plasma Cannon
Old 26 Oct 2007, 16:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Fusion and Plasma Cannon

I have just picked up the IA 3 Taros Campaign book and really like the look of the Plasma and Fusion Cannon for the Hammerhead!

I would be very interested to hear other peoples opinions on these weapons and also if it is acceptable to use them and other IA book weapons in a normal game of 40K.

That leads me on to whether it is acceptable to use units from the Apocalypse book in normal games of 40K and whether I can pick and choose which rules to use.

For instance can I use the rules from IA3 rather than from Apocalypse for the Barracuda but the rules for Great Knarloc's from Apocalypse rather than IA3?

Roland

Old 26 Oct 2007, 16:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Fusion and Plasma Cannon

I'd like only if the where more powered and longer range(maybe?) because if you fusion or plasma just get ion but say if the amped it up that would sweet
"Sir, we already burned everything in there...."
"I dont care, SHOOT IT AGAIN! Its the only way to be sure!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyxg
Is it true I can equip a space marine captain with two thunder hammers and terminator armor and on top of that name him MC hammer?
artivis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2007, 16:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaffordGames
I have just picked up the IA 3 Taros Campaign book and really like the look of the Plasma and Fusion Cannon for the Hammerhead!

I would be very interested to hear other peoples opinions on these weapons and also if it is acceptable to use them and other IA book weapons in a normal game of 40K.

That leads me on to whether it is acceptable to use units from the Apocalypse book in normal games of 40K and whether I can pick and choose which rules to use.

For instance can I use the rules from IA3 rather than from Apocalypse for the Barracuda but the rules for Great Knarloc's from Apocalypse rather than IA3?

Roland
All IA-stuff is usable with prior consent of the opponent only, since the rules are not 100% official. On tournaments, if FW-stuff is not explicitely allowed, you can`t use it.

When it comes to Apocalypse: When you want to use a vehicle for Apocalypse which has both FW and Apocalypse rules, it is best to clear this with your opponent first - should be no problem, since Apocalypse games take so much preparation work.

Using Apocalypse rules in normal 40K games is, as far as I know, not allowed - the Apo Baneblade is waaaay too strong, for example, to be fielded in a normal game.
But again, if you can get prior consent of your opponent, it should be no problem.

So, basically, if you`re not at a tournament where FW-rules are expressively allowed, you always have to ask first if you want to use their rules - after all, it is not very nice to confront an unsuspecting opponent with 2 Flyers and a Superheavy...

When it comes to the new Hammerhead turrets, they sure look nice, especially the Fusion Blaster one. But, at the end of the day, I`m happy with my Railguns and Ioncannons - especially since all the new weapons for the HH have a very short range.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2007, 19:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't mind my foes using Forge World items in games, and the Forge World books say you can use them in normal games of 40k, they are balanced to be, by and large, a little weaker than normal.

Tournaments are a whole different thing, Forge World needs to be expressly allowed by a tourney to be let in.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 12:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

As above, you should always ask for permission before using IA rules.

In Apocalypse games, units would presumably be balanced for Apocalypse, in which case you should be using their Apocalypse rules instead of the Imperial Armour rules. But I mean if those you're playing with allow it, then by all means, go ahead and use the IA rules.

In normal 40k games - well the IA rules are designed to add on to normal 40k. But you would still need permission first, before you can use them. Especially at tournaments. I don't mind seeing Forgeworld items in games, it's nice to play against something interesting or different. As for using Apocalypse rules in normal 40k - this is not allowed. There's no rules for flyers, super-heavies, structure points, shields etc in 40k. So you can't use them. It's also heavily unbalanced in smaller games, especially when your tank/unit can put out something in the order of 20 shots per turn (or more! in the case of crazy ork units). If you're using any Apocalypse rules/datasheets etc - then you should be playing Apocalypse, that is, 3000+ points minimum.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 19:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

IA rules are designed for 40k, and are fine to use as long as you ask our opponent, or make sure your tournament allows them.

Apoc rules are designed for Apoc only, although I'm sure some opponents would allow certain units, especially if they don't use any special Apoc rules, such as the Terminus Land Raider.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 20:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw

When it comes to the new Hammerhead turrets, they sure look nice, especially the Fusion Blaster one. But, at the end of the day, I`m happy with my Railguns and Ioncannons - especially since all the new weapons for the HH have a very short range.
i pretty much agree with that as both the fusion and plasma aren't really that good for their points value. Railgun and ioncannons are really the best choice for hammerheads.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 21:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmonkeyrtu
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw

i pretty much agree with that as both the fusion and plasma aren't really that good for their points value. Railgun and ioncannons are really the best choice for hammerheads.
I wouldn't call them short range at double the normal plasma and fusion range!

I really quite like the Fusion Cannon and am going to give it a try next game!

It will certainly give any squads of Terminators a nasty shock!

Roland
Old 29 Oct 2007, 18:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

12" + 24" = 36" actual effective range.
You wont be able to attack the devestatorsquad back in nowhere but you may be able to get a juicy VP by the shot with the blast..

think about it.
The plasma cannon.
12" + 36"(i think) = 48" Enough to get the devestators or whatever you like...

I belive they may be even better to get MEQ or TEQ than the rilgun or ioncannon...

Somebody up to the math??

Just calculate the blast as how likely the kill will be per hit on the blast weapons...
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2007, 18:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

The problem about the range is not that the hammerhead has difficulties hitting the enemy. That clearly isn`t the case - 12" movement should be enough to attack almost every enemy unit anywhere on the table after two turns of moving.

No, the problem is return fire. Most enemy heavy weapons have 48" range. Easy to stay out of harms way with a Railgun or Ioncannon; hard to do so with a 24" weapon.

So, no. To me it`s the Rail/Ionhead all the way.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote