Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Forgeworld.... Open a US department?
Old 26 Oct 2007, 03:57   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Forgeworld.... Open a US department?

This is an idea that has struck me that could be a profitable venture, as it would

a) open an all-new market

b)provide lower prices for us Americans that would love to purchase the Forgeworld models.... but dont want to wait get them from overseas due to the monetary conversion.

What do you all thing on this subject?
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2007, 12:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Forgeworld.... Open a US department?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatus Glacies(Icer)
This is an idea that has struck me that could be a profitable venture, as it would

a) open an all-new marked
Not really, those who wish to buy stuff from Forge, already do it. Those who won't propably wouldn't do it if it was in US because

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatus Glacies(Icer)
b)provide lower prices for us Americans that would love to purchase the Forgeworld models.... but dont want to wait get them from overseas due to the monetary conversion.
Most likely, like GW, they would keep same level prices. I don't really see why they would sell anything cheaper there.
Forgeworld has selective clientbase. Those people usually buy from there because of the quality, not price. I don't think they wish to change that.

So overall, i think it is not really likely. There just isn't that muc hto gain.
LordDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2007, 14:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't think they'll do that. It would be nice, but I don't think it would be a profitable move for them. GW is a niche and Forgeworld is a niche even within that niche.

I think the best you can hope for is that over time more of the resin FW models are picked up as plastic pieces by the main GW the way the Piranha was, for example.

Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2007, 18:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

1. How can they open a whole new market? FW exclusively caters to people who play GW games, if you don't know GW you won't know FW. Their is no new market to open up.

2. Why would they lower prices? That would only have them undercutting them selves, i.e. why the heck would anyone order from them online, etc. if they can just get someone to get it from a U.S. shop cheaper.

3. If anything, FW should try to distribute through the already established GW stores (now that would be a great idea), not set up new shops.

FYI you can get FW stuff through the U.S. Battle Bunker stores and though the GamesDay events. If the shipping charge is the only thing killing you, their are other options (much better then FW trying to establish a new string of stores).
Old 26 Oct 2007, 18:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

For lowering prices, I don't think that icer means chargin lower prices, what he means is charging in dollars (avoiding conversion, bad for americans good for us brits) and shipping from the US (saving shipping costs).

That's what I think he means at least.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2007, 22:44   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

1) By whole new market I mean people(like me) who would buy, if only we didnt have to pay as much as it currently is due to the conversion rates.

2) I'm not talking a store chain, I'm talking a US headquarters, much like they have in the UK.

3) GW's are not easy to come by in a large portion of the US and the nearest Battle Bunker for those of use in Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, and this area is Chicago, I dont know about you, but its expensive to drive there. And a little harder to fly there now.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 02:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to XV88-2 Pilot

There is a FW store in the US, the only draw back is it's a pick-up only service in Baltimore ?, I called them about six months ago looking to purchase a Warhound Titan, he said I could order one for 560.00 plus the cost of a airline ticket (no thanks) but could come and pick it up, there number is listed on the FW site.
TAU BATTLE RECORD AS OF 3 FEB 08

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

ARMYS PLAYED AGAINST SO FAR,

BLOOD ANGELS - BLACK TEMPLARS - DARK ELDAR - ELDAR - NECRONS - TYRANIDS - DARK ANGELS - ORKS
XV88-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 02:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to XV88-2 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XV88-2 Pilot
There is a FW store in the US, the only draw back is it's a pick-up only service in Baltimore ?, I called them about six months ago looking to purchase a Warhound Titan, he said I could order one for 560.00 plus the cost of a airline ticket (no thanks) but could come and pick it up, there number is listed on the FW site.
Let me restate this post, It is only a outlet point for FW items, you order through them and when item arrives you go and pick it up. This is there contact info. Games Workshop Factory Shop, Glen Burnie, MD, USA (tel: 410 590 8675) I hope this helps you, it's a little lower priced then The War Store.
TAU BATTLE RECORD AS OF 3 FEB 08

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

ARMYS PLAYED AGAINST SO FAR,

BLOOD ANGELS - BLACK TEMPLARS - DARK ELDAR - ELDAR - NECRONS - TYRANIDS - DARK ANGELS - ORKS
XV88-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 07:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would agree that they could tap further into the u.s. market. The only reason I am even going to order from FW now and again is that one fella I just met at another gaming store is a FW psycho and he also happens to be a trucker who makes routine runs from Phoenix, AZ. to L.A. He calls in large orders from several people and then drives to the battle bunker in L.A. as a matter of course to pick it up. His trucking company pays for gas! :rockon:

Otto
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 12:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

I don't think it would be feasible at all, nor a good idea. I'm agreeing with The Orange here, why would they lower prices? When they would need double the amount of production machinery as they already have, and create extra moulds of everything, if they are to produce models in the US, which would be a big factor in the prices (possibly even increasing the prices? Just for the convenience of having them closer? Think convenience stores).

Having headquarters in the US wouldn't benefit them. That would just mean they have to split up their design/sculpting/art team. Why would they do that? It's all good as it is where they do everything in house in the UK.

And what of the conversion rate - wouldn't they just convert their prices to USD? Shipping isn't reduced by that much either, last time I checked it was 12% shipping to local addresses, and 15% to the rest of the world. That's just a 3% difference.

A better idea would be what The Orange suggested - some system of being able to order through GW stores, perhaps at some slightly reduced shipping rate. Then of course, that means that GW has to make room for stock and handle it all...