Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is it all about the points?
Old 25 Oct 2007, 20:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Brass Claw
Default Is it all about the points?

At my local hobby shop and my buddy came in, a dark angel player. We began to talk about our past battles and he said something interesting "I love large battles. But when ever i play a large battle with you, I always seem to lose"

Which got me thinking, Does the point limit effect the performance of your army? Which armies do you find perform better in lower point game? Which armies perform better in higher point games?
Old 25 Oct 2007, 20:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Is it all about the points?

Well, personally, I think Tau are awesome at low-points games because of Crisis suits and their ability to take the Devilfish. However, Necrons are pretty bad at low-points games because of the price of their infantry... I dunno. I think the army makes a difference in games like Combat Patrol, but most of the armies are relatively even at high-points games. Perhaps you've simply bought some better units than him? For example, I'm not terribly good at high-points games because I only own one tank at the moment.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 20:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I personally think tau are one of the armies that start to lose steam in larger point games. There just aren't any more slots for big guns, but your opponent can often squeeze in a few more tanks or monsters than he had before.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 20:39   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

I would have to say that I get to be a little better at the higher points games, because I have a little more tactical leniency in what I can do. As that way I can do the harder manuvers, and thus gain the ability to do more things.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 21:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

Armies ability at a certain points level can also depend on the person leading it.

At smaller points levels the "commander" only has a few units to think about, and the options with what to do with that unit are thus limited, he also only has a few units to fight against, thus the options on who to attack are limited.

As the points limit increases, the amount of units the player has and the amount of units the opponent has increases, resulting in more decisions to make, where to move each unit? which enemy unit to shoot at? should the shooting be spread out evenly between enemy units or should it be used to take down specific squads.

The amount of errors made may increase with the size of the game as the gamer has to contend with thinking about more, meaning that some units he will forget to shoot with, or move, or just plain forget altogether. Sometimes forgetting to fire that unit could proove crucial in the game.

But also as you said armies can have some advantages etc as the points cost increases, but it also depends on what armies are being played. Say I am using IG against an ork army, I suddenly have a whole line of infantry taking over my entire deployement, the same said with him. This could be both a disadvantage and an advantage. Disadvantages include the fact that if he gets just one unit into combat, i know first off it will hurt, but also it will be able to slowly move along my line of units, picking them off one by one without being able to shoot at them. But on the other hand, with the whole board being covered by my weaponry, I suddenly have a big killzone area which should be able to not be able to sneak up on me, no flank attacks to worry about.

So I personally believe its a factor of player ability an army used which determines how well someone copes with a large battle.

Siruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 21:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Maybe that. Or the fact that during large battles, terrain is limited and gunlines are more open. So, for eksample, tau have a disadvantage if you play mech and want to hide...
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2007, 14:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I heard GW have tested all the armies at 1500 pts so anything else will be unbalanced!
Old 26 Oct 2007, 14:49   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

I'm pretty sure that they test them against as many armies as they can, at as many points values as they can in order for there to be no balance issues.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2007, 15:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In the old days it was 2000 pts. The theory is that roughly either way it's close. How many games can these guys play???

They have to have a common point. They also test several armies.
Old 26 Oct 2007, 15:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Necrons loathe low-point games.

Quick: Make a 500 point Necron list! 20 warriors and a Lord? How could I guess? I"m psychic!

By contrast the Necron machine continues to gain steam all the way up to 2.5 k, or even higher. A Necron player can comfortably, and competitively, play up to 3000 points. Beyond that you start to have to spend points on warriors, just by running out of slots.

Consequently, I agree that the armies vary in strength as the point values change. My crons get more and more competitive as the points value goes up, because the crummy mandatory expenditures are a smaller and smaller percentage of the total.

By contrast, my buddy, who plays Nids, loves it when a game is 1750 or 1850 instead of 2k. I concur that each army has its own "sweet spot", where they have spent their points as well as you can expect, adding points thereafter has a decreasing effect on performance.