Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Charge Bonus Question
Old 19 Oct 2007, 23:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Charge Bonus Question

I did a forum search, but I can't seem to find the answer. If a units charges into an already existing melee, does it get a charge bonus? I've read the rules, but I can't conclude it every unit who charges gets a bonus, or if only the unit that initiated the first combat does.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2007, 23:43   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Charge Bonus Question

When charging, a unit gains +1 Attack. Therefore, for example, you have a unit already in a combat. A third unit charges in, but only they get the bonus attack, as they are the only unit charging.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2007, 01:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I understand that an unit already engaged in melee cannot get the charge bonus - I was just wondering about a new unit joining the fray, if they get a charge bonus.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2007, 01:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott
I understand that an unit already engaged in melee cannot get the charge bonus - I was just wondering about a new unit joining the fray, if they get a charge bonus.
Yes, they do. There is nothing saying that when a unit charges it doesn't get it's bonus, therefore when a unit charges they get the bonus, it's as simple as that. Some special equipment and rules may limit that if they charge a specific unit, but that's different. All units charging into close combat get +1 attack.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2007, 19:18   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Yes, they do. There is nothing saying that when a unit charges it doesn't get it's bonus, therefore when a unit charges they get the bonus, it's as simple as that. Some special equipment and rules may limit that if they charge a specific unit, but that's different. All units charging into close combat get +1 attack.
I thought I had said that...?

Quote:
Old 20 Oct 2007, 21:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

You did, only he forgot to read

On this topic, if there are two units, Fire Warriors and Orks, in combat in some terrain, and the orks are charged by a unit of Kroot, do the Orks get the I 10 for being in cover or is that negated by already being in combat?

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2007, 21:08   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think, (and this is where's GW's flawless rules writing shines :) that the orks strike at I10 against the kroot, and the standard order against the fire warriors.

Quote:
Old 20 Oct 2007, 21:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

No, they don't. The rules for claiming the I10 bonus for being in cover states that they only gain this advantage if they are not already locked in combat, as they are too busy fighting to try to "prepare" for the enemy charge.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote