Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Terrain: how much is too much or too litte?
Old 18 Oct 2007, 01:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Brass Claw
Default Terrain: how much is too much or too litte?

Ok I have a 3X5 table, I have 4 large hills, 2 ruin building and 2 objectives and the 6X4 green mat that everyone gets. I'm thinking about add 1 or 2 forests to finish off the table.

The thing is I'm starting a gaming club soon and I need to know how much terrain would you put down on a 6X4 table? I probably going to need a city fight table and probably some other table other than a green forest.

Please move this if it in the wrong forum.

Old 18 Oct 2007, 01:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Terrain: how much is too much or too litte?

One of my favourite ways to determine how much terrain to use is to first put it all in one quarter of the table. Once that quarter of the table is filled, I start spreading it out
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2007, 02:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I know this is pretty close to being spam,but the fish hit the nail on the head.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 04:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

What about areas with dense terrain, like a jungle or swamp?

Would you do half of the table then?
Old 18 Oct 2007, 05:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

40k's meant to be balanced on a 4x6 table at 1.5k points with 1/4(ish) of the table set as terrain. When you change these factors, you make certain types of armies more powerful against others.
(example: More terrain favors CC swarms such as Nids as there is less area of vision, and more cover.)
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2007, 10:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfagar
40k's meant to be balanced on a 4x6 table at 1.5k points with 1/4(ish) of the table set as terrain. When you change these factors, you make certain types of armies more powerful against others.
(example: More terrain favors CC swarms such as Nids as there is less area of vision, and more cover.)
Yes, but don`t forget that the type of terrain is important, too - are you using just a few, but large bits of size 2 area terrain, or are you using lots of small forests (size 3)?

This influences the game as well tremendously, especially when vehicles and JSJ comes into play.

It is hard to find a "correct" answer to this, it is mainly trial and error for your gaming group. But I would make sure that in every deployment zone, there is at least a single size 3-terrain, to hide a tank behind - otherwise it is only a matter of "who goes first" (especially against anti-grav armies).

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2007, 20:38   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I was thinking about playing a game in my dorm room after a crazy thursday night, using the garbage on the floor (cans, bottles, etc.) as terrain for a game. I think that would be pretty sweet.
lami13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2007, 20:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

When I set up tables I put down some large terrain on both deployment zones, then spread some around equally so that both sides have terrain to hide in or behind, then I put what ever is left into the no-man's land. But I always make sure there is enough open lanes and wide spaces. If you want to do a dense terrain board use about a third of the board for terrain.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 21:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I took a look a the cities of Death book today and it has a interesting and cool way of speading out terrain, so will use that for my City fight table.

My last question is, Now that i have a 'Green Forest' table and i'm planing to make a city fight table, i want to know what you guys should think my third table be?

Thanks for your input
Old 23 Oct 2007, 02:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have been working on a city fight table for a while. City fight can be very cool and offers the opportunity for really nice terrain pieces. the down side is it can be very time consuming.
An open field with sand dunes and rock formations can be done quick and cheap. Maybe that would be a good third table. Or a swamp with tons of difficult terrain. Just paint it to look like mud and use flock or something to make little islands, some wooded some open, all over the place. Taht could also be quick and cheap.