Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sharing an Army
Old 14 Oct 2007, 18:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Sharing an Army

I'm sure that everyone here knows that Games Workshop is not exactly known for their low prices. And with Apocalypse out, we have even more initiative to reduce this cost. Have you ever been playing a big points game, way ahead, about to move in on the opponent... and you look around at the board, miss something completely, and start your shooting, which allows the opponent to assault your poor commanded with a Chaos Lord? Sharing an army with a friend is an excellent way to deal with both of these issues.

There are a few things to keep in mind when doing this, though:

First of all, never, and I repeat, NEVER! attempt to share an army with someone who you don't trust completely. Between good friends, this can be an excellent tactic for reducing cost, reducing how long you spend painting Kroot, and enhancing your power in games. Between people who don't get along most of the time, this is an excellent tactic for increasing cost, stress, and dishonesty. Basically, anyone who you think you'd have to make a contract with to hold up their side of the bargain is not a good choice for this method of army building. As silly as it sounds on a Warhammer forum, don't try to share an army with a girlfriend/boyfriend. Friendships tend to last a lot longer than romantic relationships. -.-'

Second, don't try to split everything exactly 50/50. Both of you should pick up units as they are needed, paying for the whole unit individually. This prevents the trouble of getting money from your partner later... There's something about "I need 50 bucks, dude!" that just isn't fun. As long as both of you buy a relatively equal number of units, this should work out. An exception to this is, of course, your initial battleforce or megaforce, which will probably be bought by both of you together anyways.

In terms of modeling and painting, both of you obviously need to come up with an EXACT colour scheme before anything else. If you just take a bunch of models home and start slapping paint on 'em, you'll be in trouble. For example, when my partner and I initially started painting Fire Warriors, we had a problem in that, although we knew our colour scheme was supposed to be blue and white and approximately which parts were blue and which were white, we painted them independently of each other, and saying "half of the helmet blue" won't necessarily result in both of you painting the same half of the helmet blue. The best way to do this is to create two models with the correct scheme, then give one to each parter to copy off of while painting. This is rather obvious, though, I guess. Also, play off each other's strengths. If one partner is better at modeling vehicles (for example, he has built models of cars or planes in the past), then let him put together the vehicles. The goal is to create a good looking army between two people... This doesn't mean that they should do exactly the same amount of every task needed to get the army off the ground.

Finally, a game! Well, personally, I've never found anyone who objects to us playing the game as a team, although I suppose it's possible...
Anyway, this is the time when knowing your partner very well is a good thing. In general, especially if you've chosen a strategy beforehand, there's unlikely to be much difference in the tactical decisions you'll make. If you really have trouble deciding something, give each person command over a certain section of the army... Actually, playing like this can be a lot of fun, as long as you make sure to talk to each other. This is probably the most important thing. Don't delay the game by talking, but do talk to each other as you play your turn. Often, your partner will catch tactical blunders that you were about to make. Personally, I find playing with a friend more enjoyable than playing on my own, and I hope you will too.

I hope this article helps people out!

-Geoff
Old 14 Oct 2007, 18:29   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Sharing an Army

Nice notes to bear in mind if your going down the sharing an army route .

Is there any particular pitfalls you two had in the past and any possible solutions that have worked/could of worked?
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2007, 18:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Cool little article, and a great place for beginers to start. One quick question for you;

Do you and your partner ever play tournaments and if so how do you deal with the two people/one army thing in that situation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2007, 19:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think the biggest problem that I've had in our co-ownership is that he tends to take the game a lot more seriously than I do. He often complains that other armies are 'overpowered' compared to our Tau (although I agree with his views on the annoyingly invincible Eldar tanks.) This can cause real problems during a game, especially if he gets into an argument with our opponent. This reflects badly on me to some extent, as I tend not to take matches so seriously. It is bad for our side, too, because he tends to screw up more when he gets angry.

I've talked to him about it lots of time, and gradually, he's getting better. However, this is a good example of how, without solid trust between players, little things like this could become real problems. Warhammer should never affect a friendship.

Other than that, things have run very smoothly. But this is another reason to pay for units individually... If you decide that it's too much trouble to share an army, you'll be able to start with half of one without cutting your tanks in half or something.

Quote:
Cool little article, and a great place for beginers to start. One quick question for you;

Do you and your partner ever play tournaments and if so how do you deal with the two people/one army thing in that situation?
We've never played in a real tournament... We play at the local gaming store sometimes, but that's about it. So I don't know how they'd react to this... If playing as a team was a problem for the tournament officials, we would most likely build an army list for the tournament together, then take turns playing matches.

-Geoff
Old 14 Oct 2007, 20:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Nice post. I'm suprised you haven't found opposition in you both playing on the same side against a single opponent though. I personally wouldn't care but I could see plenty of people complaining about it. Saying that it gives you double the tactical acumen and that it lets you look out twice as well for any mistakes one of you may be about to make.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 21:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well they should have thought of that first.

Nice article, in real tournaments couldn't your partner be a friend and just "watch" the game.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 12:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

No, there are rules and stuff at major tournies that dissalow other people from commenting on your game and offereing advice etc.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 09:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by macboy_geoff
I think the biggest problem that I've had in our co-ownership is that he tends to take the game a lot more seriously than I do. He often complains that other armies are 'overpowered' compared to our Tau (although I agree with his views on the annoyingly invincible Eldar tanks.) This can cause real problems during a game, especially if he gets into an argument with our opponent. This reflects badly on me to some extent, as I tend not to take matches so seriously. It is bad for our side, too, because he tends to screw up more when he gets angry.

I've talked to him about it lots of time, and gradually, he's getting better. However, this is a good example of how, without solid trust between players, little things like this could become real problems. Warhammer should never affect a friendship.

Other than that, things have run very smoothly. But this is another reason to pay for units individually... If you decide that it's too much trouble to share an army, you'll be able to start with half of one without cutting your tanks in half or something.

Quote:

We've never played in a real tournament... We play at the local gaming store sometimes, but that's about it. So I don't know how they'd react to this... If playing as a team was a problem for the tournament officials, we would most likely build an army list for the tournament together, then take turns playing matches.

-Geoff
Eldar vehicles arnt invincible.
Dire Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2007, 15:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Avenger
<Needlessly long quote>

Eldar vehicles arnt invincible.
Ah, the good old Dire Avenger - never one to miss an opportunity to start a flame-war about how every army other than Eldar is complete and udder cheese (bad pun, I know...)... :

Back on topic: Sharing an army is, of course, one solution to combat GWs pricing policy (no matter if it is justified or not - see the other trhead).
I`m glad it works for you, but the main problems I would have with this trick would be:

-Availability of army: If you and your friend don`t happen to live in the same house, playing a game spontaneously is hard - you can`t just take the army case from under your bed/out of the wardrobe/out of the stasis field, because it is at your friends house at the moment. This is even worse if you live a long distance from each other.

-Discussion about next purchases: Even IF you buy your own units next, maybe they don`t fit into the plan of your friend.

-Playstyle: Maybe you want to go mech, your friend static.

-Colour scheme: Easy to decide for the basic grunt. What about vehicles? HQ units?

-Tournament play: Multiple players per army aren`t allowed, even IF you would take turns, this would probably still be illegal.

-Division of Command: Yes, four eyes catch more mistakes than two eyes. But tactical decisions have to be discussed - in front of your opponent. Furthermore, a split command could easily lead to a "divide and conquer" - situation, where your opponent destroys one element fast. This is something I`ve noticed in mega-games with more than one general on each side. Besides, democracy doesn`t work on the battlefield - someone needs to be in overall command.

Of course, most of these problems have already been cleared between you and your friend, but they are a latent issue, and could easily arise again - and keep me from sharing an army.

I don`t want to kill your thread, if it works for you, it`s fine, but I just wanted to play the "devil`s advocate" here

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote