Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My Greatest Project: Help me make a Warhammer club
Old 04 Oct 2007, 10:45   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default My Greatest Project: Help me make a Warhammer club

Well to be exact, it is more like a subset of a main club.

There is this club in my college that is actually an Indoor games club, and that include trading card games, board games (designer and normal) and also several other games. But they do not have a wargaming section.

But there have been interest from some of my friends in the club (I am not exactly a member) and also two wargamers that I knew personally that are interested in making this club a reality. All of them are really interested in 40k, so that would mean that it will be a 40k-oriented group.

Even though I have not propose the idea yet to the president of the club, and with that on I will also join the club. From what my friends at the club has said, the club is supportive of any type of indoor game and to promote it, but provided that one has the means to provide the stuff. For me that is the rather okay part, for I have the contacts and the means to let these budding players to try and make their army (small ones) as I know two of the biggest gaming centres for wargaming in my country (one of which personally).

So for those who had made a warhammer club before, can you please help me to try and make this a reality?

But for starters here is what I am facing with;

1)I may have the players and the codices, but I do not have enough models to provide all of them with models to play.For people of my country, it is a very big investment for one to play warhammer, and thus they may not be able to even start an army at all. I may have to give them some slack in them

a)proxying or not painting the models (for those who have the money to start)

b)borrowing some my models during my watch. (for those who reallywant to learn and play but has no money for the models for the time being)

But what happens if a player wants to go and play a horde army after that? What if they want to play a unit that is hard to proxy, such as a monolith?

2)As for the teaching the rules, how do go about teaching an entire student group about the game? Almost all of them are foreign to the idea of warhammer (but their enthusiasm is there).

3)What else do I need to make this work?

Now this would help me in my vision for this club (stated below).......

If this club is up and running, it will be the first of its kind in my country for it will be the first warhammer club (sort of) in a learning institute that can be used to promote the game of Warhammer in my country. If it survive long enough, it will be a base where it will spread to all the colleges throughout my country and perhaps even high schools, and make it a big thing here with all the people.

Then things such as college tournaments and College-equivalent Golden Daemons will be as common as those College torunaments for Magic Card and Scrabble in my country. Maybe if it is bing enough, the roots of my sub-club will become the main hub for the Southeast Asia Warhammer scene where we as a whole will be recognized just like those of American, Germany, etc.

I have big dreams for this sub-club, but I need help to help realize it. I thank those wo are willing to help me, or just give me advice for the management of the club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2007, 14:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to VF-7
Default Re: My Greatest Project: Help me make a Warhammer club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper

So for those who had made a warhammer club before, can you please help me to try and make this a reality?
The "club" I wanted to start in my city got disolved due to the fact that most pepole started to attend school/work in diferent schedules, I hope that does not happens to you :P.

Quote:
1)I may have the players and the codices, but I do not have enough models to provide all of them with models to play.For people of my country, it is a very big investment for one to play warhammer, and thus they may not be able to even start an army at all. I may have to give them some slack in them
Well, get a pack of Cadians, have them built & painted by the group, and only then they'll know what they are going into.

Quote:
a)proxying or not painting the models (for those who have the money to start)
Wargammer proxys entire armies out of pennies :.

Quote:
b)borrowing some my models during my watch.
I'm not a fan of it, but that's the way to go, I remember having burrowed a Tyranid combat patrol, that teached me the system.

Quote:
But what happens if a player wants to go and play a horde army after that? What if they want to play a unit that is hard to proxy, such as a monolith?
Start out by combat patrols, don't show them the rule book, only the reference sheet and 40k in 40 minutes article, that way they won't get hyped out, and you'll have an easier time guiding them.

Quote:
2)As for the teaching the rules, how do go about teaching an entire student group about the game? Almost all of them are foreign to the idea of warhammer (but their enthusiasm is there).
Well, you're gonna have help with that don't you? teaching to more than 4 pepole at the time can be frustrating. (heh... my dad is an anatomy professor and has 30/so students : )
BUT!!!
I'ts not only the system, but the hobby itself, get a pack of cadians, they are the cheapest GW model... and have them practice with them

Quote:
3)What else do I need to make this work?
Remember VF-7's 10 steps for Apocalypse community gaming:

1.- Gather together, Round up your 40k fellas, talk about your desire to star Apoc, tell them also about what the whole community should do.

2.- Plan the table, do some votings to see what kind of terrain should the community build, or if your armies allready have.

3.- Complete the armies, Some players might be just starting, that's perfectly reasonable, even if you aint an experienced hobbyst you can aid them at the task of completing their armies, or at least, have them painted with base colours & little highlights.

4.- Developmentm Do some sketches, plan the general layout of the table. this should be done after step 3, or while step 3 is beign completed, what's a scenery worth with no models to play them with?, try also to do a modular table, one that can be broken down in at least two 4*4 tables for normal 40k games.

5.- Table location. This is an important one, who's gonna host the table? how well equipped is the place (bathrooms AC Etc)

6.- Equal Task Distribution, As stated early it doesn't matters if you ain't an experienced builder, or painter, the more "menial tasks" might distract the proper painters, so you should help them glue & basecoat the terrain or another guy's army, you'll get a whole load of exp with it.

7.- Equal expense distribution, if you are going for GW's Imperial city, be asured that the community should pay equally for it, and if not, what about the community buying a compressor for an airbrush (thus, faster basecoating and some nice finishes)

8.- "Arround the clock work", now that tasks have been equally distributed you can start planning all of your schedules together for some efficiency, if you go out of class at 4pm you can link with the guy that goes to work at 6pm for a while, and thus, take a bit of time to catch up and do teamwork.

9.- Advise of your progress regulary, with your work done, you can tell your friends that's ready so that the next person in the line can take it from there, if you just putted the prime colour for the building, your friend can come and pick it up for the highlights

10.- Campaign planning, once most task are completed, you can star planning the story behind your campaing, why where the armies playing got involved etc, as a nice thing to do, try to draw some banners to commemorate the troops fighting in this war XD.

Burrowed from another thread... it might even get you some ideas :P.

Quote:
For people of my country, it is a very big investment for one to play warhammer
I just got an idea. Why don't you guys start "Co-owned" armies?

With the release of apocalypse gaming sets it won't be a really hard effort to buy one of those mega-sets between 2 or more pepole, so in the end, they'll all assemble them and paint them, and what's more important play with them... toy arround with the Idea...
Lost are only those who abandon themselves.
VF-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2007, 21:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Here's one: if you have a lot of people who like DnD or war films like "the Dirty Dozen", you can get them on Kill team! Far fewer models, and long storylines to go with them.
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2007, 01:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to VF-7

Talking about that, have a look at this.

It's a proyect I've felt as necesary, tough it didn't got as much attention as I expected, But that does not means Im not working on it (just gotta get a bit more grip on the general rules etc)

However, You can make necromunda your own, Without rules modifications, How?

Count as:

Example of Tyranids:
Devourer = shotgon
Fleshborer = lasgun
Spinefist = autogun

Example of Tau:
Pulse Rifle = Boltgun
Carapace = Carapace
Plasma Rifle = Gundrone Equiped with plasma rifle.

It would require WAY less models than Kill team (wich needs ALOT of grunts), and it's actually a very nice way to get some pimped troop conversions XD.

The sistem is also quite the same as 40k (I've heard it was based on 2nd edition 40k) so... you might even check that aswell

BTW: Necromunda Rulebook

Just select "UK" and you'll download it.

I'll see if i can think of anything else, Good Luck with the project.

(PD are you from malasya?)
Lost are only those who abandon themselves.
VF-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2007, 04:50   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Kill team.... that's a very interesting idea guys.

But it make it sounds more like an RPG, where that slot is already taken by another sub group. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-7
(PD are you from malasya?)
Yes, I am from Malaysia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote