Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

stopping assault
Old 02 Oct 2007, 15:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox
Default stopping assault

it only really works for armies with lots of models, like guard or seventy two firewarriors,

you basically put a line all the way across the board, and then have another line of different units stood behind them so them so there in like a zig zag pattern, because the bases are smaller than an inch on front rank they cant be assaulted as the behind models are within an inch,

it might wotk between vehicles and such, i'll leave it up to your imagination

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2007, 16:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha
Default Re: stopping assault

Only problem is when I slaughter the front rank in one turn and crash into the second. Guard are going to stop a good assault about as easily as Jum-Puff marshmallows.

Plus, when you line up like that, I get way more models under blast and template weapons. Now there's a nice big hole in your lines!
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2007, 16:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

That kind of line is the best to assault. Im charge one end with a unit of wyches and slowly work my way across, I wouldnt even need to worry about not being able to move far enough with my consolidation.

And a flamer against that kind of line up would work wonders.

Siruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2007, 16:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The rule you're thinking of only works with movement. Meaning I can't squeeze my assault marines between chimera's that are 2 inches apart to assault the command squad sitting behind them. However if said HQ was behind a pair of heavy weapons that were 2 inches apart, I can assault the heavy weapon crew... if I wipe it out I can then consolidate into that HQ locking it in close combat and preventing the other heavy weapon crew from firing on me when your turn comes around.

To go along with that, remember you can't fire into or through combat... so if your front line is assaulted your back rank can't do much aside from pile in on the melee or wait until a unit is killed.

Cheers
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Morgue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2007, 19:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gada Mazaha is away at basic
Only problem is when I slaughter the front rank in one turn and crash into the second. Guard are going to stop a good assault about as easily as Jum-Puff marshmallows.

Plus, when you line up like that, I get way more models under blast and template weapons. Now there's a nice big hole in your lines!
What he said. (Especially Jum-Puff marshmellows ;D)
Bird III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 04:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You can fix this with a magic incantation. Declare the unit in the front the primary charge target, and then the unit in the back the secondary charge target. Now you can move within an inch of either. Charging multiple units is a little read section of the rules, but once you read it the Fish of Fury w/drones isn't quite so aggravating. This is the same way you charge a unit that hopped out of a rhino and stayed in base contact with it.
Old 03 Oct 2007, 11:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

no your all missing the point, the unit behind the first line is a different unit, so you couldnt assault the front unit in the first place

Old 03 Oct 2007, 14:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Declare your charge against the front unit as primary, and the back unit as secondary. Now you can get within 1" of either of them. Read the section of the rules on charging multiple units and its quite clear.
Old 03 Oct 2007, 15:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

yeah but you can't charge the back unit as you can't move through the front unit, the gaps too small

Old 03 Oct 2007, 16:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You can charge them, you won't end up fighting them, but you can certainly declare them as a secondary charge target. Its just like declaring a charge against someone 7" away.

Then you move your closest model to the closest primary charge target (in the front unit). Then you move the others to unengaged enemy models etc. You end up fighting the front unit and not the back one, since as you point out you are not going to be able to engage any of the back unit.