Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Third army, which to choose?
Old 30 Sep 2007, 19:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Third army, which to choose?

I just got a pair of friends into the hobby; Quinn decided he likes Tau, While Jonny likes Space Marines. Unfortunately, these are the two armies I play; three choices for a match up will get boring quick(SM-SM, Tau-Tau, SM-Tau)

Thus I'm considering three armies; Chaos(Iron Warriors), IG, and Eldar.

I wanted to start Iron Warriors since I first started four years ago, but I hated the 'powergaming n00b' label they carried and never picked them up. With the new codex the cheese has been removed, and Now I can start them witout worrying about that. There are a few problems though; I'd really not be seen as a bandwagon-jumper, and there's really not a good boxed set for Iron Warriors(battleforce includes Berserkers). I wrote up a pair of CP lists for them, I'll spill them if you ask. The only question I have is wether the Icon of Chaos Glory if fluffy for them, as they see the Gods more as a tool than something to be worshipped.

Mech Eldar were my second choice, however one of the guys wants to start eldar as soon as he's done with his Tau, defeating the purpose of starting them. Too bad too, as the aspect warriors assault wave was a perfect starter. I'll have have to ask him what kind of army, if he starts footsloggers I could do this one.

IG were my third choice, they have a lot of character and can be very effective. However the space needed for an IG army(and expense to start one)seems a bit much.

Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2007, 19:31   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Third army, which to choose?

Hmm...
My friend plays eldar and they seams fun to play... and NO! Not IG, They are REALLY good at getting killed by tau (Pulse rifles, submotions... well basically everything can kill IG...) The only good thing with them is numbers, but you know warhammer isn't cheap...
Old 30 Sep 2007, 20:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Tau are made to IG, so if you pick IG your in for one hell of uphill fight. Do you know what kind of army your SM friend plays?

If he plays a shooty army, you'll be up agaisnt two shooty armies, and you could then possibly be the sole CC army.

And yeah, don't think about money and 40k, I lost count when I hit over $1200 and was starting my 3rd or 4th army.
Avor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2007, 20:16   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Well lets see, do you like the IG? IE their fluff, their models, their feel? If so, Go for them.

Do you like the new Chaos models? Their fluff? Their feel? Do you want to use the tactics that go with them? If so, go for them.

And finally, Eldar. If you are only starting an army to be different, and someone else is going to go for it, then dont. Otherwise, see the above. If so, go for them.

And Avor, we are getting tired of your Tau bashing. Seriously, its not funny anymore.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2007, 20:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatus Glacies(Icer)
And Avor, we are getting tired of your Tau bashing. Seriously, its not funny anymore.
What the **** are you talking about? Tau bashing, it's a fact that tau have a easy time with most IG. So maybe if his friend plays tau, as retarded as they may or may not be ,he shouldn't pick the army that has the hardest time dealing with them.

Old 30 Sep 2007, 20:59   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

It is not a fact, it all depends on the player. In fact, I have seen, several times, Victorious slaughters on the IG side against Tau. I dont play Tau, and I never plan on it. But it is getting old, fast.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2007, 21:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatus Glacies(Icer)
It is not a fact, it all depends on the player. In fact, I have seen, several times, Victorious slaughters on the IG side against Tau. I dont play Tau, and I never plan on it. But it is getting old, fast.
I'm getting sick of spelling it out for people, Hammerheads are statisticaly better than a russ, FWs are 3-4 points more than guard but unquestionable the best basic troop in the game, ect.

I also think it's funny I'm not the only one saying it any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'O T'au D'Shas'Ka
Hmm...
My friend plays eldar and they seams fun to play... and NO! Not IG, They are REALLY good at getting killed by tau (Pulse rifles, submotions... well basically everything can kill IG...) The only good thing with them is numbers, but you know warhammer isn't cheap...
Old 30 Sep 2007, 21:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'O T'au D'Shas'Ka
and NO! Not IG, They are REALLY good at getting killed by tau (Pulse rifles, submotions... well basically everything can kill IG...)
Yeah, and the IG are really good at killing Tau. Heavy Bolters, Autocannons, Lascannons, the Earthshaker, battle cannons, Griffon Mortars, Infernus shells, Vanquisher shells, the Laser Destroyer, the Demolisher Cannon... Tau are really good at getting killed by these. :
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2007, 21:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Yeah, and the IG are really good at killing Tau. Heavy Bolters, Autocannons,
Range of 36+, means you can out range tau but you'll only get 2-3 shoots off per infanfty squad. The will kill FWs, but they are not very efficient.

Quote:
Lascannons,
35 pnts just for the weapon, and it misses half the time. And even when you do hit something, what? A broad side with a cover/invul save, or a skimmer that can only be glanced.

Quote:
the Earthshaker,
Armour so weak it's perfect prey for crisis suits, and heck, if you get a rail shot off you almost auto pen it.

Quote:
battle cannons,
innacurate as all hell, prey for railguns

Quote:
Griffon Mortars,
People use those :P

Quote:
Vanquisher shells,
Your right, you don't play tau. Vanquisher shells do get that 2d6, but if a skimmer moves 12, all hits on it are glanceing.

Quote:
the Laser Destroyer,
I heard they updated it, haven't checked, but I know it still has the same movement and range, it is prey for railguns, like all IG armour.

Quote:
the Demolisher Cannon...
If you get close enough to use that weapon, you are the luckiest IG player ever, or your playing on a 48' board.

Congradulations on forceing my to derail this thread! :
Old 30 Sep 2007, 21:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avor
Range of 36+, means you can out range tau but you'll only get 2-3 shoots off per infanfty squad. The will kill FWs, but they are not very efficient.
Not very efficient?! What with them wounding on twos and bypassing armor saves, using your logic would mean that Pulse rifles aren't very effective against Guardsmen either.

Quote:
35 pnts just for the weapon, and it misses half the time. And even when you do hit something, what? A broad side with a cover/invul save, or a skimmer that can only be glanced.
That's why they aren't used on broadsides. That glanced HH is going to be nigh on useless for a turn at best.

Quote:
Armour so weak it's perfect prey for crisis suits, and heck, if you get a rail shot off you almost auto pen it.
Weak armor with the ability to hit you from twenty feet away. And besides, are the Guard players around you idiots? Leaving basilisks unsupported and bunched like that..

Quote:
innacurate as all hell, prey for railguns
Not as inaccurate as you think. If it scatters, it won't be more than, on average, three or four inches. And besides, Railguns can crack AV 14 just as easily as Lascannons can crack AV 13.

Quote:
People use those :P
Yes they do, and with deadly efficiency. Combined with Infernus, you can kiss your broadsides or crisis suits goodbye.

Quote:
Your right, you don't play tau. Vanquisher shells do get that 2d6, but if a skimmer moves 12, all hits on it are glanceing.
So what if I don't play Tau? I know how they work. Again, a glanced skimmer is still just about useless.

Quote:
I heard they updated it, haven't checked, but I know it still has the same movement and range, it is prey for railguns, like all IG armour.
They didn't update it. Trust me, the Ordnance pen. table hurts anyone, including your prized Tau.

Quote:
If you get close enough to use that weapon, you are the luckiest IG player ever, or your playing on a 48' board.
Have you ever played in a Cityfight? You get close very fast.

But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote