Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What do you do when...
Old 25 Sep 2007, 20:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default What do you do when...

You discover that your teacher is a 40k player?

Let me first clarify: I typically only play over the holidays when I go home. During term time in boarding school, I rarely ever play since I don't bring my army with me. On the few occasions that I do, it's only ever on Exeat weekends, using my mate's Orks.

What happened was that in German class today, while we were having a discussion about English words adapted into German, 'Workshop' was mentioned and my teacher made an offhand comment about Games Workshop. I talked to him about it after the lesson and it turns out he plays Imperial Guard at a GW nearby.

Now that he knows I play 40k as well, he wants me to bring my army for a game sometime. Problem is, I'm not particularly keen on taking my army to and fro between school and home all the time. It's hard to say no to the man who writes your university reference though. What would you do if you were me?
Old 25 Sep 2007, 20:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: What do you do when...

Wow, that's pretty neat.

If he goes to the local GW, then why can't you and him just meet there sometime, if you don't want to bring your models to school, which I wouldn't want to do either. I'm sure there is some roadblock I don't know about regarding that, though. :P
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2007, 20:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

In my opinion, you ought not to play at school anyway - the travel damages alone are a problem, not to mention how it would keep you (and the teacher) from schoolwork.

Go to the GW where he plays, have a game there - better terrain, for starters :P.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2007, 20:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Play him and let him win. Alot.
Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2007, 20:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I say, bring your stuff, and whup him if you can, but be a good sport about it, whether you win or lose. How you conduct yourself while you play - and that you're willing to - will say more about you than whether you win or lose.

As a side note, never let anyone win. It's disrespectful and condesending to them.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2007, 20:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The thing is, I don't have an army AT ALL during term time since I go to boarding school overseas - my Boyz spend most of the year sunbathing in the tropics while I'm stuck in cold, freezing England. Is it worth bringing my army all the way over here and risk potential travel damage just for those couple of games?
Old 25 Sep 2007, 21:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Obviously you now need an Expeditionary Force to go with your Home Army.
Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2007, 22:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

I suggest taking into school a small combat patrol. My school have a small GW club, and all I ever bring in is a 400 point army of tau or DE. Or you could always do grey knights or deathwing, they have about 10 models in a 1,500 point army

Siruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2007, 22:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis
The thing is, I don't have an army AT ALL during term time since I go to boarding school overseas - my Boyz spend most of the year sunbathing in the tropics while I'm stuck in cold, freezing England. Is it worth bringing my army all the way over here and risk potential travel damage just for those couple of games?
How much space does it really take? How much damage are they honestly likely to sustain if packed well?

I've travelled with my army on the back of my motorcycle. Every once in a while, I have to glue an arm back on or something. But, for the most part, the carrying case protects them just fine.

You'll be happier if you have them available and the chance to play comes up...
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2007, 08:24   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Gringe

Every time I take mine round its in a bag on the back of my motorbike and they haven't broken yet, I do have to wrap metal models in tissues to pretect the paintjob though.
Gringe is offline   Reply With Quote