Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Trench Warfare
Old 22 Sep 2007, 06:20   #1 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Default Trench Warfare

Hey guys, quick question.

I have the BfM rulebook and that states that trenches give a 4+ cover save, while bunkers etc. give 3+. I was wondering if there were any other rules (maybe in the full sized rulebook or IA) that have any more in depth rules for fighting trench warfare (such as using barbed wire, extra advantages like harder to hit in trenches), or whether you just use the cover save. Also where are the rules for mine fields and the like?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2007, 08:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Trench Warfare

Not that I know of.

The only thing mentioned about trenches in the full size rulebook is the same, 4+ cover save, and I have the Taros campaign and imperial armour update 2005, 2006 and it says nothing in there unfortunatly*
As far as I know anyway
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2007, 08:34   #3 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

I'm wondering whether IA:5 has some rules in it...

Are there rules for mine fields and such in Cities of Death?

Quote:
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Old 22 Sep 2007, 08:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

no. but minefield rules are in the big rulebook. not in the bfm one...
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2007, 09:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

There are some rules for minefields, booby traps and barbed wire in the big rulebook, but not much on trenches unfortunately

Siruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2007, 09:20   #6 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Ok then, thanks for that, I'll check out the "big rulebook" when I head down in a couple of days.

It's definitely a 4+ save isn't it? When I did a few searches (on the internet), I did come across 3+ quite a few times... :-\

My plan is to make a small trench scenario, with two IG forces opposing each other (will only start out small, and I'll add a few more participants later). The objective is to get as many models into your opponents command/support trench as possible and models removed earlier as casualties come back on a 5+ (roll each turn until they pass) with a 5 being on the left and 6 on the right. I was going to start it with half the Cadian box each (so Sergeant, Grenade Launcher, Flamer and 7 Guardsmen each) and later expand it with more troops and a heavy weapon team each once I get my IG army underway.

Quote:
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Old 22 Sep 2007, 09:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

you'd be better off using the "meatgrinder" mission in the rulebook.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2007, 10:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I am pretty sure it is a 4+ save, not totally sure, but sure enough so I don't have to be bothered to check the rulebook :P
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2007, 11:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Trenches are +4 when I play normally, well on the firing step. Otherwise they are out of LOS.

Considered to be the same as a low wall or sandbags. However to be fair bunkers count as a +3, but again only on the firestep if the model can't be seen its out of LOS.

I think the best way to treat a trench is not as a line of cover, but as a whole new level of combat, thus even if you get into HtH in a teach you won't get shot to bits by the rest of the defenders. Makes a fairer and more fun battle in my mind.

...and if you build a board, don't dig down to create trench sections build up and make the walls. Make firestep locations for three or four models at a time (good to base on the heavy weapons base) and the rest are lower so they can stand out of LOS.

Thus if playing guard a teach becomes an emplacement with a heavy weapon which cannot be shot to bits with a good turn of shooting because re enforcements can just take the old gunners place. Because being out of LOS they are safe from shooting, then the next time you remove those models saying they takes the gunners place. Simple.

Makes both running across the no-mans-land a good tactic and makes more use for mortars and heavy artillery.

For other armies such as Space Marines allow them to do the same.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2007, 12:04   #10 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
you'd be better off using the "meatgrinder" mission in the rulebook.
I'll check out the "meatgrinder" mission when I view the rulebook (I plan to buy it with a friend soon, so we can view the extras that aren't in the BfM book).

@ Genmotty - Sounds roughly what I plan. For the board, I hope to get something smallish that can expanded later by placing another board next to it if needed. I only have access to 'packaging polystyrene' (although in this case it's not so bad because it works with the bullet riddled landscape), which I plan to stick to a board around a trench line, maybe two layers thick, or enough to cover line of site to models wishing to "keep their heads down". Not yet sure how I'll build the trench... :-\ Likewise the craters may be hard.

Quote:
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"