Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Map-based Campaign - looking for suggestions!
Old 18 Sep 2007, 20:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Map-based Campaign - looking for suggestions!

A few friends and I are planning on beginning a map-based campaign. I've been in-part inspired by the Cities of Death campaign they have on the GW website. I was wondering if anyone else out there has experience with a map-based campaign. Any suggestions? Any awesome maps?
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2007, 17:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Map-based Campaign - looking for suggestions!

Id like some info on it too! Im starting a gaming group and need rules and maps for this. Itd be awesome to have a large campaign with 20000p to each player and you be able to move those units around the way you like it..
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2007, 19:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

For the map itself, Mighty Empires is a good choice. I'm not sure about rules though.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig
Citizen of Ghetia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2007, 20:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

When you say a map based campaign, do you mean something like having a big global map of different key areas, and then each key area is a specific battlefield, and then your able to move your army from area to area to capture them etc?

Siruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2007, 03:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siruk
When you say a map based campaign, do you mean something like having a big global map of different key areas, and then each key area is a specific battlefield, and then your able to move your army from area to area to capture them etc?
Yes, exactly! And maybe each battlefield confers some sort of bonus to the occupying force.

I've heard about Mighty Empires, but I don't have the time or willpower to buy and paint up the pieces. Especially considering they're fantasy, and I'd have to put in some work for 40K. I was looking more for a picture or map of some sort. Or just advice.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Old 20 Sep 2007, 04:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Shiki

well you could take the idea of mighty empires, get a map or image of some kinda and have areas that are city based forest based whatever you want really. Hell you and your friends draw up the map and make up a world or something.
I always get the feeling that his craftworld was invaded while he was in the shower and he only had time to grab a bath robe and a sword
Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2007, 04:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, that's the plan. I just wanted to see if anyone else had done this before and had suggestions or tips.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 04:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Shiki

Well, after reading this i got the urge to do it aswell. so if i start this up with a couple of my friends i will let you know what we come up with
I always get the feeling that his craftworld was invaded while he was in the shower and he only had time to grab a bath robe and a sword
Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2007, 07:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've been trying to get a map based campaign going amongst my gaming group. All the rules and story are made, but the map itself is proving troublesome (I'm the only one who's willing to do it, and I'm no graphics artist).

Anyway, the approach I went for was a little different from the usual map - based campaign. I always thought the "provinces" approach was a little too unrealistic. What I did is give each race a counter (representing the location of their army commander) which they move freely around the board (much like a normal game of 40K). Where the counters meet is where the battle is held.

Whilst there are "provinces" that can be controlled or contested, I wanted the game to represent a real battle. For example moving forces into an enemy province dosen't nesscesarily mean a battle will take place. You CAN have battles containing more then two armies, and a province can be contested rather then instantly and totally going over to enemy control because of a single battle.

Hope that little rant helped someone...... :P

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2007, 12:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to dahli.llama Send a message via Yahoo to dahli.llama

You could do this with a Risk board.

Then all the various routes would be laid out and such.

If the entire board would be too big, then just play one continent. And of course there's a ton of Risk variations out there if you don't want to play the real world.