Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question about skimmers
Old 17 Sep 2007, 21:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Question about skimmers

I have a friend who plays a Mech Tau army. He does not own a rulebook, and I am therefore unsure of the validity of one of his claims about his skimmers. He claims that his skimmers can "fly up" to see over any LOS-blocking terrain and also ignore any area terrain obscuring my vehicles. I have checked my rulebook and have not found any rule for skimmers like this, but I thought that it might be a Tau-specific rule. Does anyone know if his claims are valid?

~Arcturus
Arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2007, 21:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler
Default Re: Question about skimmers

That would kind of defeat the whole purpose of terrain to begin with, wouldn't it?

Skimmers can fly on top of things and thus gain LOS over them, but they cannot benefit from terrain that would normally obscure their vehicle.

Unless they're Tau. Then they can choose to land and not count as a skimmer for the turn, and thus become obscured.

Hope that helps some.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2007, 21:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

No, Tau have no special Skimmer Rules (apart from their Skimmers counting (with the right equipment) as fast vehicles when it comes to shooting (they can`t MOVE like a fast vehicle though, just fire more weapons).

So he was cheating. Big time.

One thing to remember is that LoS ALWAYS works both ways - if a a unit can see an enemy unit and shoot at it, the enemy can shoot back (barring special circumstances, i.. Crisis Suits jumping behind cover or Stealth Fields).
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2007, 21:39   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
Unless they're Tau. Then they can choose to land and not count as a skimmer for the turn, and thus become obscured.

Hope that helps some.
This actually brings up another question: Can he move his Devilfish 12", deploy his Fire Warriors, and then land? My friend claims that this is a standard "Fish of Fury" tactic. However, not having access to the Tau Codex, I think that he might have misread the rules for landing vehicles, because I would think that one would have to either move or land, not both.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 21:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

NO! You can only land if the tank hasn`t moved at all. And if it landed, it is bloking LOS, which means that his FWs can`t shoot if they are behind the Fish - defying the purpose of this tactic.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2007, 21:51   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks to both of you, Lord-General Thunder and CmdrBonesaw! I suspected that my friend was not using correct rules, but I did not want to call him out on it unless I was absolutely sure that he was, in fact, doing this.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 21:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
No, Tau have no special Skimmer Rules (apart from their Skimmers counting (with the right equipment) as fast vehicles when it comes to shooting (they can`t MOVE like a fast vehicle though, just fire more weapons).
Sensor Spines?
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2007, 22:58   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

No, the multitracker allows the vehicle to fire like a fast vehicle (shooting one main weapon and all defensive weapons) if it moves under 12", the vehicle can still only move 12" though.
El_Santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2007, 02:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

*Sigh*

I know what the Multi-Tracker does, I'm referring to Sensor Spines which let a Tau vehicle enter terrain and benefit from the cover effect it provides.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2007, 03:12   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think your friend was playing it wrong, but for clarity:

Skimmers are allowed to fly over area terrain and structures. If a skimmer is on top of a stand of area terrain, it ignores that area terrain for the purposes of LOS, and it is not obscured by it in any way. If the skimmer is behind a stand of area terrain, it treats it just as any other vehicle would. This means that it will block LOS both ways, and the edges of it can obscure the skimmer from sight.

Similarly, if you are behind a stand of size 3 area terrain, the only way the skimmer will be able to see you is if it is directly on top of that stand of area terrain. In this case it can see you (and you can see it), although you will still get a cover save.

Skimmers are never able to "pop up". The only way they can see past area terrain or tall structures is by being physically on top of them.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote