Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

White Dwarf Battle Reports...
Old 16 Sep 2007, 17:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default White Dwarf Battle Reports...

I know I am not the first person to believe it, and I am not trying to boycott White Dwarf, but the "new" army always wins against the other "old" army. The new one always wins, and the old loses. Supposedly, the new army always makes good rolls, great tactical decisions and the opposing army the opposites. I would love it iff the new ones LOST for once..... 8)
What's visual basic?
What's a check box..
WHERE AM I
OH JESUS LET ME OUT!
Farsight follower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2007, 17:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer
Default Re: White Dwarf Battle Reports...

I think that's just a recent trend, and might actually be simply sheer luck.

There've been plenty of instances in past issues where the new army has had trends of losing...

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2007, 17:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Oh? When did this start happening? I still think the battle reports are the most interesting part of WD. It sure would be fun seeing the Imperial Guard beating the crap out of the Necrons.....
What's visual basic?
What's a check box..
WHERE AM I
OH JESUS LET ME OUT!
Old 16 Sep 2007, 17:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's because GW got's to make their new armies look unbeatable, (for profit, so people will buy them) so they always include battle reports where the new army wins. I think they have a couple, then pick the most exciting and put it in WD.

-Lord of the Pit
Frosty05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2007, 17:52   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight follower
I know I am not the first person to believe it, and I am not trying to boycott White Dwarf, but the "new" army always wins against the other "old" army. The new one always wins, and the old loses. Supposedly, the new army always makes good rolls, great tactical decisions and the opposing army the opposites. I would love it iff the new ones LOST for once..... 8)
Actually, when the current ork dex was released there was nothing but orks (or ork related matter) in the white dwarf with Andy Chambers rubbing his hands in glee... Then good old adrian used them in the battle report and got a serious buttock kicking!

Has he ever one?

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2007, 19:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Actually from what I can see that is the case, the new army generally wins. Neither side usually takes a decent army but when a new codex is released the new army tends to win. For instance when the Black Templars were released that battle report was terrible. The BTs took everything shiney and made it all look cool and their opponents took an army that was downright horrendous and used it badly too, the Black Templars didn't do much better but somehow managed to win.

Many of the reports have been simply bad, whether fixed or not they have just been... bad. It's pretty clear that the GW staff who play the armies in those reports have absolutely no idea how the game is played. Rules mistakes, poor army composition, terrible tactics and many times a poor understanding of the mission too. One report I read last year was between Ultras and Necrons to herald Cities of Death release and neither army did very well. The Ultras left a paltry force to defend their objective and the Necrons sent a non-scoring unit to attack the Ultras position, the tactics involved were just dismal and the armies not well organised either.

White Dwarf battle reports are generally on the recieving end of many bad jokes whenever I hear about them and I've just generally stopped reading white dwarf.

It would be nice if GW actually knew how to play their own game for a change... I mean... honestly... anytime I see a battle report or tactica by GW either on their sites or in WD it's just generally a big dissapointment and most of the time it's just meant to increase sales of whatever is being released at the time.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2007, 19:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Even if they aren't that great, i still find them exciting. Also, it dos make sense that they would want the new army to look appealing. would YOU want to buy some new orks if the battle report went like so: The most expensive and powerful units, piloted by (insert master pro gamers name here) lost against a 3 squads of Space Marine Scouts being played by a toddler?
What's visual basic?
What's a check box..
WHERE AM I
OH JESUS LET ME OUT!
Old 16 Sep 2007, 20:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

While we're on the subject, another thing that irks me off about recent White Dwarf battle reports: the absolute insistence on using special characters. What the hell is up with that? Not that I have anything against special characters, it's just the way they seem to be thrown in purely for the sake of showing off shiny special characters. For example the one in White Dwarf 327 where they had the Eldar face off against Chaos. The Eldar list they put together as I recall was a speedy one with Harlies, Warp Spiders and lots of Jetbikes, and for some inexplicable reason they were led by Prince Yriel! I practically flushed the damn thing down the loo in a rage. Iyanden are supposed to be Wraithguard-heavy dammit!
Old 16 Sep 2007, 20:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I agree with the others that while they may not be fixed, they are certainly silly. Those guys spend too much time writing the rules and too little actually using them.

However, I stul lget WD every chance I can. I like the painting tips, and I've found many an article or advertised army to give me inspiration. I'm very excited about the next couple issues: Apocolypse Battle Reports! ;D
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2007, 20:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

has anyone read the latest one in WD333?

It showcases Apocalypse, and each side has about 21,000pts(If they can be believed, apparently they last count several times adding up the points).

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote