Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Modelling Trouble
Old 16 Sep 2007, 09:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Modelling Trouble

Hi.

I've just got shouted at by my dad, him saying there are so many models I have not painted, made etc.

Which is strange, because he has tons of unpainted models, unmade models, things that he says he will get around to doing even though he never does them, and I'm sick of him going on about MY problems when he has plenty enough of his own.

Thing is, he even had the gall to tell me I was wasting MY MONEY!

What buisness does he have with what I spend my money on?! It's my money, It's pocket money, and the whole point is to let me spend it on whatever I want. In this case, models. He has no buisness (and I've told him this countless times) with how I spend it, on models, prostitutes, who cares?

My armies are mostly painted, I'm trading ONE SQUAD of my Tau for some Grey Knights in the Trading Board, because they're MY Fire Warriors, I bought them, he has no buisness with them. My DE are almost all painted, just 10 warriors need painting, my Tau are all painted, bar vehicles, most of my Kroot are painted, half of my Chaos army is painted (and beleive me, that's incredibly hard when they have stuff like Mutations), and now he's shouting at me, thinking I waste my money on models I don't paint.

He has (and this is a list recited from memory) not painted:

5 Chaos Havocs

Chaos Lord and retinue,

Inquisitor model (from Inquisitor),

Mordheim miniatures (god knows what was running through his mind when he bought those)

Chaos Rhino,

Chaos Land Raider,

Chaos Predator,

A couple of random Eldar miniatures,

Mounted Daemonettes,

Multiple blister packs of stuff he doesn't use,

etc.

He bought my Black Templars off me for 100 euros a few years back, and so far he has never even taken them out of the box!

I'm getting really sick of him trying to control my life in this way, and whether he's trying to help or not, I'm getting sick of it. So, what I ask of you is to help me prove to him that he's wrong. Because he is. He's as much the problem as I am.

Thanks for reading through my lond-winded rant,

-Lord of the Pit
Frosty05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2007, 15:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Modelling Trouble

I think you should paint everything and ask your dad to play WYSIWYG all models that is painted, no points limit(assuming you got more than him) and watch his face drop as you take your army out of your case.
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2007, 15:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to InsanitysFall

Just tell him to stop being a hypocrite.

There comes a time in every boy's life that he must learn to stand up to his father :P
Old 16 Sep 2007, 15:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

However who gave you your pocket money?

I had to work for mine when I was a lad. So anything I spent money on I had earned myself. Also remember why does your dad not paint models?

He may already have an army painted. Might not feel like the hobby after work etc. I think you'll find he will have a crack at his, but give it due course.

You don't need to be cheeky or to tell him to stop being a hypocrit. That is only likly to make someone madder. Because he is your dad raise your eybrows look down your nose a bit and look over to his models (if on display) and casually mention that at least your getting on with your army.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2007, 16:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to ShasVre_Koyaan_KiVak

Does he understand you feel this way? If not maybe you should tell him, show him the post you just made even.
However, I don't know your dad so I don't know if this would help at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot1kill
:sadnshocked:
Pedophile, bisexual, weirdo banana!
ShasVre_Koyaan_KiVak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2007, 16:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I used to have a similar problem with my dad, so I think I know where he's coming from. Did you earn the money from a job or such, or was it given to you as a gift of some sorts. Because parents have this thing about gift money, although they "gave" it to you it's still as if your spending their money. And than I got a job and paid for stuff and all of the sudden his attitude totally changed. So If that's your problem my advice is just that you deal with it for now and get a job later. Telling him he's a hypocrite will just exasperate things. Remember in his house his logic is infallible and because he's your father he'll be in your life for a while.
And my body that crouches in the shadow.
I am Tzeentch and you are the puppet,
That dances to my tune.

Karazantor the Vile,
The Traitor of Xain
N19eteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2007, 18:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

*Darth Vader voice* "Lord of the Pit", I am your father!

Just had to...

There is some logic in what you are saying. Try to earn the money and they will not complain. I have the same problem with dad, but he express himself a lot more subtley (sp?)
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2007, 16:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Parents can sure be an irrational delight can't they? I dunno about your father, but mine would pull that kind of stuff when that's not really the issue at all - maybe he had a crummy day at work or is peeved about something else and decided that the most productive way to vent his stress was to yell at you for something unrelated to the underlying issue AND that he himself is more guilty of than you. Certainly doesn't justify his reaction, I'm just saying in my own personal experiences incidents like that are rarely about what they're yelling about.

I'd say try not to let it bother you, unless he keeps harping on it. If he never brings it up again well then it's water under the bridge. Hopefully he won't, but if he does just point out that he has more unpainted models that you do and do it calmly - if you stay level headed and calm then it's less ammunition for him later.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 14:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

A couple of questions.

1) How do you get your money?
2) How much free time do you have in a given day for all of your hobbies?

These are very important questions. If you work for your money at a store or cutting yards or anything like that, then your dad should have less control over how you spend your money. However, maybe he wants you to be fiscally responsible with your money. Learn to save and not spent it the moment it hits your wallet.

As for how much free time you have is pretty self explanatory. If you come home from school and sit in front of the TV for 4 hours then go to bed, your dad might have a point. Before you complain about his unpainted models take a look at his schedule. How many hours a day does he work? Is it physically demanding? Does he have to do work around the house when he gets home? Also does he have to get up early in the morning to be at work on time?

I understand kids think that when your in school you are under extreme stress, but this does not even compare to the stress your parents are under everyday. Its harder for working parents to get free time for hobbies. Maybe your dad is just wanting you to spend what time you can on your hobby while you still can.

JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote