Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Taking 40k too seriously
Old 15 Sep 2007, 11:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Taking 40k too seriously

40K is a hobby i adore. While I haven't done it in a while, i enjoy spending afternoons painting new models, and finishing up, highlighting, converting and modelling new models. I enjoy planning out said stuff in my mind. When i have hours in a bus for example, with nothing else to do, I enjoy visualising the universe, and letting it come to life in my imagination.

I thoroughly enjoy reading up the background material, whether in codices, index astartes, the internet, or wherever. It stems from my love of creativity, of writing, of bringing ideas to life. I love coming up with stories, writing them in my mind, bringing them to life, and then writing them down. (and then losing them when the PC crashes :-[)

I enjoy discussions based on the hobby, hence my posts on 40K internet forums. Maybe i'd spend 5 minutes online most days. Occassionally, i'll spend an hour or two, if there is nothing else on.

That said, for me, 40k is a hobby. I have other things to do, other priorities. I just graduated second or third in my class, which was a big thing. Now i need to get a job. I need to deal with, and talk to real people, whether old friends, new friends, random people i've just met etc. They have their lives, their stories, their problems. People are fun to hang around with, and have a laugh with, whether its for drinks on a friday night, the Metallica concert at the RDS in Dublin, or just sitting in and watching movies, random tv and introducing them to Firefly. I need to spend time with my girlfriend. I enjoy Meeting up with her for fun and games, hanging around having a laugh, movies, games, videos, music, even quiet nights in or loud nights out. Essentially, just doing special things with my significant other. I need to do lots of other things other than spending time with my favourite hobby, as you've just read. 40k will have its moments. Its something i will probably enjoy for years to come. It will have its time as a priority, and it will have its time on the backburner.

This is a hobby. Much like soccer, rugby, boxing, cycling, reading, watching TV etc. When its a hobby its cool. Its great. Its wonderful. You can have pride in it. I have told quite a few people about it, and at first they don't get it, but then i show them the rune priest i spend 6 hours painting, or my converted Kroot, and they see the skill, and meaning behind 40k as something cool, something amazing, something more than a game of toy soldiers and dice.

But...

when you're hobby becomes your life... When all you can do is think about 40k, then you are taking things far too seriously. When you're whole day is spent, day in and day out on internet forums, and when every spare second you're thinking of space marines with bolters, and have stats running through you're head, and you're thinking about your next internet post, then you have a serious problem.

Its like anything - you can only play and watch rugby for so long in any given day. If you spend 10+ hours on it, all day, every day, then its an obsession. And it becomes something you need to stop.

That said, you can understand such an obsession with something as grand as sport. But 40k? This is a nerdy hobby with big kids playing with little toy soldiers, and rolling dice. Its cool to us, but to 90% of the rest of the world, its just a sad, and pathetic waste of our potential.

Keep things in perspective, kids! keep 40k as a hobby, and you'll be fine. Don't waste your life on it!

Kev

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2007, 13:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Taking 40k too seriously

As much as I agree with you there, I have encountered a few flaws in your analysis.

Before, you stated the following:

and they see the skill, and meaning behind 40k as something cool, something amazing, something more than a game of toy soldiers and dice.

And then you state this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
That said, you can understand such an obsession with something as grand as sport. But 40k? This is a nerdy hobby with big kids playing with little toy soldiers, and rolling dice. Its cool to us, but to 90% of the rest of the world, its just a sad, and pathetic waste of our potential.
Er... You need to think things through a bit more.

I also have a message: "Kids, don't turn into one of those scumbags who beleive 40k is a game for nerds, and geeks with spotty arses, and hate them for it!"

Carry on.

-Lord of the Pit
Frosty05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2007, 13:10   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Mycosynth

Well i agree with most of what your saying, but dont put down 40k. Sports arent the best thing either and its just as bad to get addicted to. You know how many people who play sports at my school are really just arrogant assholes? At least a good seventy percent. How many 40k players do i know who always try to put you down? Hardly any if not zero. Seriously, if 90 percent is going to think its a waste, well let them think it. I know i dont care.
Mycosynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2007, 13:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ditto.
Frosty05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2007, 13:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's a game I play.

I also play WoW.

I also watch Lucky Star.

I'm also a Furry.

I'm also a Transformers Fan.

They're just things I play, watch and do.

No big obsession.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 14:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Its ok for me, Im 14 ;D

Anyone here who is over 30 go start working on your job, and please dont say your GW staff!
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2007, 15:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Pit (Formerly Tesla03)
Before, you stated the following:

and they see the skill, and meaning behind 40k as something cool, something amazing, something more than a game of toy soldiers and dice.

And then you state this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
Er... You need to think things through a bit more.
point was, its great when you can show a cool side to the game, but bear in mind its still a game with dice, rulers and toy soldiers. there are more things to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycosynth
Well i agree with most of what your saying, but dont put down 40k. Sports arent the best thing either and its just as bad to get addicted to. You know how many people who play sports at my school are really just arrogant assholes? At least a good seventy percent. How many 40k players do i know who always try to put you down? Hardly any if not zero. Seriously, if 90 percent is going to think its a waste, well let them think it. I know i dont care.
I'm not putting it down, but putting things in perspective (unless you are going to argue that its not a game with toy soldiers, dice, and rulers! ). spending 10+ hours a day playing and watching sports is as bad as 10+ hours as day playing and watching 40k. And btw, i do know of quite a few arrogant wargamers. :-\ You know the type - things go the wrong way, and the huff, and puff, and yell, and scream, and spit all over the table cos they're so flustered. And they can be really thick with people as well. its like, for feck sake, its a game, guys.

recognise it for what it is - its a hobby we all like. just don't let it take over your life.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2007, 15:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Heh, I'm 32 and I just got into 40K. ;D

And I save the "working" stuff for weekdays (even if I occasionally manage to paint a mini or play a game during the week also), but Saturdays and Sundays if for hanging with family and friends, playing games and painting minis.

I'm way past the embarrassment of being a nerd, left that behind 15 years or so.

I see what you are saying in your initial post Deadnight, and I both agree and disagree, a hobby like this (well, any hobby), need dedicated followers who put a lot into the hobby.

It's natural that interests will have highs and lows, I almost did not play games for several years when I was 16 - 20, playing metal, going to gigs, partying and chasing girls were the priority back then , then I went into the army for a couple of years, and believe me or not gaming was a big part of my pastime there.

What I'm saying is that I don't judge anyone for getting emotional and being "obsessed" with a game like 40K, It's one of the strengths of a hobby like this.

Also I have no problems with people who's hobby is "watching sports on TV" thinking that I'm "wasting my potential". The people I love and care about are the only ones that matter

Rune
Nanostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2007, 15:20   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Mycosynth

Noted. Guess i'm just lucky in finding good opponents. I agree with you though, pretty much the theme here is "Everything in Moderation", dont spend all your time obsessing over one thing, since its not healthy in the end.
Mycosynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2007, 16:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Are you TELLING people that this is the truth or are you saying thats how you feel?

Everyone has the right to do what they want in their life, and every minute I spend doing something to do with 40K is time well spent in my eye's, its doing what I want to do, not what everyone else is doing or what in some people's opinion is "nerdy"

In my opinion you making this topic and saying 40k is nerdy is "nerdy"

I think you made this topic because in the past you were too obsessed with 40k and you lost a friend or something bad happened because of it and you regret it, and you don't want the same thing to happen to somebody else, am I right?
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote