Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A question on declaring shooting - rapid fire?
Old 12 Sep 2007, 23:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default A question on declaring shooting - rapid fire?

Hi there folks, as I'm still pretty new to 40K, and questions surface almost every time I play battles.

This one is on declaring in the shooting phase. I know that you don't measure range until you have declared what unit you are targeting. If you have a unit that has not moved in the movement phase, it can choose to rapid fire 2 shots up to 12" or fire once at up to full range. Do this have to be declared before you shoot?

For instance, your unit is targeting a opposing unit and you don't know if you are within rapid fire range, if you declare rapid fire, and then the opponents figure(s) are further away than 12", do you loose the opportunity to fire once at up to full range?

Also if there is some rule that cover this, would you please let me know where to find it (page #, and book), or are this covered in the "etiquette" of 40K?

Hope this made sense.

Rune

Nanostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2007, 23:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: A question on declaring shooting - rapid fire?

I'm pretty sure that you can't shoot if you already declare to rapid fire... but I'm not entirely certain :-\. The Rapid fire rule has always seemed a bit silly to me...

-Rosetta Stoned

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
ShadowCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2007, 23:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to gerrylum

The way I've played so far is that you just declare which unit you're firing on, then measure range. If the enemy unit is within 12", then it's automatically assumed to be rapid fire. If they're not in 12" range then it's normal firing.

I've never specifically stated whether I'm rapid firing or not when declaring shooting. Of course, I may have just been playing the wrong way, but no one's corrected me on it yet.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 00:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I agree with gerrylum. You don't declare "rapid firing" in fact you can't even declare it as their is no actual term for it (saying rapid fire to mean the 2 shots is something the online community made up). Rapid fire weapons will fire, if the target if +12" then it's one shot, if less then it automatically shots 2 shots. IIRC it was covered in a FAQ some time ago. You don't actually get to choose, if their is a target within 12" you must shoot twice, etc.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 07:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

True.

If the unit is within 12" then it can be shot twice, if it was greater than 12" then you can only make the one shot.

We never declare the type of attack, only the unit.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2007, 10:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've always wonderd about the whole must rapid fire if within 12". Mostly because if it makes more tactical sense to shoot once then charge, why don't you?

But yes, Do you have to rapid fire if you are within range?

As well, if you only fire once, would you still be able to charge? or can you still not charge even though you never rapid fired?

"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Deaths_Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2007, 10:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

We've always just said that any models under 12" will rapidfire and all the rest just fire a single shot. I'm sure I remember reading that in the rulebook somewhere but I've flicked through and can't find it...
Dom of Gears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2007, 11:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the replies guys, seeing as a rapid fire weapon only has one "firing-mode" I also though that you could fire once at targets up to 12" and twice at targets up to 12". But as I am new to the stuff I were not going to argue with the guy.

I'll be sure to argue with him now ;D

Rune
Nanostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2007, 14:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Snow
I've always wonderd about the whole must rapid fire if within 12". Mostly because if it makes more tactical sense to shoot once then charge, why don't you?

But yes, Do you have to rapid fire if you are within range?

As well, if you only fire once, would you still be able to charge? or can you still not charge even though you never rapid fired?

No, if you fire a rapid fire weapon in the Shooting Phase, you may not charge in the Combat Phase. Even if you only fired one shot with the weapon. That's just the way it is.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2007, 20:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

aight, thanx man!
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Deaths_Face is offline   Reply With Quote