Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau or chaos
Old 02 Sep 2007, 02:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to rtjones
Default Tau or chaos

I am not exacly new to the 40k universe but i havenet started an army yet. I was wandering what race to collect. I cant decide betwwen chaos or tau. tomorow i plan on purchasing a box of either tau or chaos troops i dont know who to pick. any comments wlecome.
rtjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2007, 03:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak
Default Re: Tau or chaos

I would base it on looks. Which models would you rather stare at for hours on end while you build and paint?

A minor thing to consider is that chaos is very new, so there are some deals out there, and the like. However, that shouldn't be a major factor in you decision.

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Mavfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2007, 03:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to captain_octavain

I say chaos, because of the new codex is about to come out, and the new models beat the tau models in looks any day.
for preserving my rights
to live and die for this life
and paying the ultimate price for me to be...FREE!
captain_octavain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2007, 03:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Really, you would have to wait for the new chaos stuff to come out.

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2007, 04:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I wouldn't base it on looks. Sure, the models you may like but if you can't stand the play style you're not going to enjoy gaming with them no matter how cool they look. I would take a look through the Tau codex and read up on the new stuff coming this month for Chaos. If you were to do Chaos, what legion would you choose? That will help to weigh the pros and cons against Tau. You've been waiting awhile, it seems, so I suggest waiting a little longer to think it over before rushing out to just buy a box of something.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2007, 16:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

If you like having a mixture of being fast and having good firepower at the cost of doing well in CC and durability, go with Tau.

As for Chaos...CC ability and toughness, with shooting as a minor attribute? Dunno, I don't play them, but have played a couple.

But I agree. Go with what style of fighting you like better than the fluff and how the models look. Fluff can be nice, but there are some armies(namely my Eldar) whose fluff I can't stand, and hate the looks of the troops, but I like how they play.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2007, 16:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadaver
I wouldn't base it on looks. Sure, the models you may like but if you can't stand the play style you're not going to enjoy gaming with them no matter how cool they look.
True, but you can't really know the style before you buy the models and play a few battles. I'd say that looks should be the most important factor in the beginning, because it's basically everything you have, and it's important. Looks and fluff.
Of course, these two armies also include some general style, like having a mass of relatively weak but brave soldiers with cool tanks (IG) or slow but deadly machine death (Necrons). This already invokes some playing style, so I must partially agree with Cadaver after all.

You know, I had the same dilemma: Chaos or Tau. Finally I chose Chaos for one single reason: I wanted to have troops with faces. And not just any faces, but faces that are actually different and interesting. I was also tempted by conversion options, which are far greater with Chaos than with Tau.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2007, 20:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to captain_octavain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfagar
If you like having a mixture of being fast and having good firepower at the cost of doing well in CC and durability, go with Tau.

As for Chaos...CC ability and toughness, with shooting as a minor attribute? Dunno, I don't play them, but have played a couple.

But I agree. Go with what style of fighting you like better than the fluff and how the models look. Fluff can be nice, but there are some armies(namely my Eldar) whose fluff I can't stand, and hate the looks of the troops, but I like how they play.
You obviously no nothing of the new thousand sons.

And any marine army (loyal or chaos) HAS really good shooting as well as really great CC.
for preserving my rights
to live and die for this life
and paying the ultimate price for me to be...FREE!
captain_octavain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2007, 00:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far_Sh0t
Quote:

As for Chaos...CC ability and toughness, with shooting as a minor attribute? Dunno, I don't play them, but have played a couple games against them.

You obviously know nothing of the new thousand sons.

And any marine army (loyal or chaos) HAS really good shooting as well as really great CC.
True, I don't know any of the Chaos(or even loyalist) armies really well(just what I've taken from casual games), but I know they can rely on CC if shooting fails, so while they may be good at it, they also have multiple WS 4, S 4 attacks to make up for it; unlike the Tau, where if you don't shoot them to pieces, you'll be dead very soon.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2007, 08:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
True, I don't know any of the Chaos(or even loyalist) armies really well(just what I've taken from casual games), but I know they can rely on CC if shooting fails, so while they may be good at it, they also have multiple WS 4, S 4 attacks to make up for it; unlike the Tau, where if you don't shoot them to pieces, you'll be dead very soon.
Well, the Tau have unmatched Victory Points denial options, so it isn`t likely that the enemy even MANAGES to get into CC the first place, as long as you make no mistakes (and are a bit lucky, as well). Tau have just a different approach to warfare - they are NOTHING for you if you like pimped out characters tearing single-handedle through the entire enemy army. The are for you if you want to field an army that can red-mist said characters from a safe distance and laugh as the enemy army barbarically tries to close in on your shiny, new, high-tech army, all the while you shoot them to kingdom come.

They offer something no other army offer to you - the challenge that you HAVE to win through firepower, and not CC, which makes them unique. They are a modern, High-Tch army in a fantasy-science fiction setting, and this is what makes them so attractive. Let the barbarians of the other races bash their skulls in - we stand back and just pour and endless stream of S5 shots into their general direction, until the screaming stops >

The rest of the 40K universe fights with the Sci-Fi equivalents of Spears. The Tau fight with the sci-fi equivalents of our modern weapons. Go figure
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote