Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How damaged does a model need to be before you say "time of death..."
Old 02 Sep 2007, 01:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default How damaged does a model need to be before you say "time of death..."

About a month and a half back I sold my tau to a friend (I needed money badly at the time, so don't judge...). Earlier today I started getting the itch to play my tau again so I went and asked him what he was doing with them... To my utter horror I found that not only had he just thrown them around, but that several of them have broken to the point I don't know if I'll be able to fix them...

I sold him:
Farsight conversion
5 plasma rifle/missile suits
3 twin fusion suits
6 stealth
24 fire warriors w/ pulse rifle
12 fire warriors w/ pulse carbon
8 pathfinders
3 devilfish
3 broadsides
Railhead
and numerous drones (gun, sheild and markers that were scratch built)

What I got back from him:
Farsight conversion missing the blade and broken ankles
4 plasma/missile suits (2 with broken ankles)
1 twin fusion still in good condition
1 twin fusion whose ankles had literally given out to the point that I cannot fix him
23 fire warriors w/ pulse rifles
12 fire warriors w/ pulse carbons
8 pathfinders
3 devilfish
2 broadsides (the other one I have "parts" of...)
a hammerhead with no gun... can't even find it

At least all of the drones are in decent condition, a few of them had their antennae broken off but nothing I can't fix.

I'm more upset about the third broadside, and a missing suit (we looked everywhere, can't find even a trace of it...). And I really don't want to have to bitz order the hammerheads gun. :'(

Has anyone else had something like this happen to them, or say a purchase online that you thought would be one thing and unfortunately it was?

Or am I alone in this regard?
Old 02 Sep 2007, 01:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: How damaged does a model need to be before you say "time of death..."

Well, I've had people that arn't careful with their (or worse, someone else's) models, but nothing to that degree
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2007, 01:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: How damaged does a model need to be before you say "time of death..."

Sounds like a friend of mine's tau. At one point he was using bases with "PR/MP/MT written on them for his crisis suits
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2007, 02:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you're in north america I can send you a hammerhead gun. I have at least 4 spares of every variant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2007, 02:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

To answer the topic question, it is when the model is simply turn asunder that it is unworkable, otherwise it's all repairable.

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2007, 03:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

worst happened in my local store was a guy who'd come from the far north of Holland to the store (also in Holland, but in the south), a pretty big guy with an awesome collection of models painted with the utmost care...

his prize possession was this magnificent Defiler that screamed "awesome" from every angle and he guarded it with his life, as one might expect.

Earlier that day he'd already gotten mad at one of the other guys there for accidentally knocking over one of his models (not even damaging it) but he tried to stay cool about it. Anyway, he leaves the shop for a few minutes to go next door (pub) and during his absence, an unfortunate fellow picks up the One Defiler (insert LoTR pun) to inspect it... nothing wrong so far...

however, this poor guy has trouble being "careful" and somewhat casually plops the defiler back on the table. Unfortunately the impact proved enough for not one but ALL of its legs to fall off. The body was already awfully close to the edge and losing the support of its legs caused it to fall off the table edge, onto the floor, in countless tiny pieces...

...and who happens to step back in JUST after the Defiler hit the floor?

Fortunately the guy didn't get violent, but we all thought it wise not to speak to him for the rest of the day, he was fuming >>;;;;;
Old 02 Sep 2007, 04:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Eh, the guy should've packed it up or had a trustworthy person guard it for him if he left the store. On the other hand, it should be common sense not to grab other people's models without permission.

Ok, for the topic at hand, my old Tau army started with a trade from the trading board. I didn't have pictures just somewhat accurate descriptions(or so I thought.) Things like "feet are broken" should have read "feet are broken and so caked in glue that heavy pinning will be required just to get the model upright, forget about putting in natural pose." I won't get into all the things that were bad but it was quite a project getting everything into game worthy shape. I won't ever buy or trade used models that "need work" again. So to answer your question, you should be able to fix everything but it will obviously take alot of time and effort. If I had it to do over again I would've bought new and spent a little extra money rather than fixing someone else's poor modeling. If you do buy it back I would ask for a heavy discount from what you sold it to him for considering the condition it's in.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2007, 04:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Durza

My cousin just bought a bunch of 'Nids off of a friend, and most of the gaunts were either broken off of their bases, or broken so they weren't on their bases probably, and the majority of models had pieces missing, like the lictor, he only got it's body, and the ravener only had 3 claws, it's body and tail.
Durza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2007, 06:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

before i knew the worth of this game way back about 8 years ago. Me and a mate went golfing. With his space wolves.

I dont know why he did it... knowing how much they are worth. two wolves and the russ came back. The russ is now the center of a peice of terrain of mine and the wolves i have no idea where those two marines went.... 1000 points of space wolves...
Old 02 Sep 2007, 10:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Reminds me of letting a newbie play with my guard a year or so back. Why oh why did he think placing them on a radiator was a smart move...

(Surprisingly this is quite a common occurrence as when we get together we only have about 4 tables and those are for gaming on. Otherwise you have to keep your models in a box out the way. Considering that not everyone brings a box they end up putting the models down elsewhere, and well radiators are kind of like shelves aren't they? Except they are hot enough to make the plastic 'droop'. I remember a DE player lost alot of very nice models that way.)

I only lost 2 because their legs had bent over too much. All the others I could 'bend' back into shape because the plastic was still warm. I still let people use my guard though because I'm nice, but I do give them the warning; "you break it you bought it!" Then people are careful.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote