Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Apocalyptic Combinations
Old 30 Aug 2007, 22:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar
Default Apocalyptic Combinations

In the post Apocalyptic world, faction, or combination of two factions, do you think would be the most competitive? As in, which do you think would be able to win the most with:
1) Powergaming(maxing out 2 armies to the best of their abilities)
2) Casual Play (fielding 2 armies that aren't particularly linked, but not being beardy)
3) Playing Fluffily(not so much the actual fluf, but allies that could be allied...such as no Tyranids with Guard)

Here's what I think:
1) Tyranids Imperial Guard. The 'Nid player plays as a CC swarm, while the Guard The Guard will give covering fire to the swarms, and when the swarms get into CC, they go after whatever is left in sight. Probably a few bassies(comeon, 10' worth of range) to go after those tanks and counter-charge units.

2) Eldar and Tau. The Tau can take out tanks and heavy infantry with relative ease, and deny victory points. The Eldar on the other hand can easily take out enemy infantry with Swooping Hawks, Jetbikes, and Striking Scorpions(if you want to stay at size 2 for cover reasons, infiltrate them).

3) I'm unsure of this. It'd probably be Marines, as each squad can take care of a lot of threat variations with relative ease, and are pretty self-sufficient.

EDIT: This is for Apocalypse ;D Though it'll be nice to hear about what you think for regular 40k.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2007, 22:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Apocalyptic Combinations

Erm, Marines and Chaos? My friend and I play 3k points all the time and it is always an apocalyptic destruction. I win a lot though

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2007, 22:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Most fluffy would be gaurd and orks, who do you think the gaurd faces most on those epic battle fields? After that Gaurd and LatD.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2007, 22:24   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

1) Necron. Come on. 3 Monoliths, with the null zone, and the de-streangther. Heck, even more than 3. Then you have your legions marching inexorably towards your death. Each one coming back on a 4+
2) A Black Templar/Blood Angel combo, using the High Marshall and his squad plus two of the Blood Angel characters nothing will survive CC.
3) Black Templar, anything we do is fluffy :P
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2007, 22:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well fluffy for teams wise would be things like Tau/IG, Tau/Eldar, Space Marines/IG, SM/SM, IG/IG.

My favorite combo would be Blood Angels/Black Templar, or even Blood Angels/Ultramarines....Mephiston/Tigirius would make for the two most powerful psykers in the game to team up.

Powergaming wise....Ultramarines/IG with assassins...Every non fearless unit with in 2 feet of Tigirius make a Ld at 5 or run away with lots of speeders near by.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 22:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Remember that you need a plausible reason to take alliances, so know Chaplain + Necrons + Carnifex + Hammerheads + Whatever.

Imperial Guard are obviously the easiest to ally. They already have a bunch of fellow Imperium armies, but then they can be corrupted militia, Genestealer Cults, or Tau Auxiliaries.

I've been thinking of unlikely alliances and coming up with reasoning for them:

Any Imperium army and Tyranids: As seen in the Warrior Brood novel, the Imperium can develop means to interfere with Tyranid psychic patterns, albeit it requires alien technology (gasp!) and a powerful psyker. Why not say they could take it a step further and not only disrupt the swarm, but control it? If playing Imperial Guard alongside Tyranids you could also just say they're a Genestealer Cult.

Tau and Orks: Perhaps the Tau found some backwater (even more so than usual) Ork planet, on which the Orks were still living a very feral lifestyle, somewhat similar to Kroot, and, naturally, taught them the ways of the Greater Good. If you don't feel like converting your Orks to match this (which is understandable - no want to ruin your other armies to make one big one, despite the temptation to make Orks in Fire Warrior armor!) could be justified by the Orks natural tendency to loot whatever they can find, again similar to Kroot and their distasteful cannibalism.

Chaos and Space Marines: Now this one is a tougher. You could very easily explain the Space Marines as a soon-to-be Renegade Chapter, falling to Chaos this very battle, but that's too simple an excuse. Perhaps the two are sharing and extremely uneasy alliance - but even then they're not fighting side by side and keeping their distance, just merely taking a cease fire. The only time this sort of alliance could possibly be believable in the slightest would be something like a Chaos army that's less Chaotic, and more just rebels against the Emperor, with a lack of Daemons and the like, and even then only in the face of a dire threat, such as...

Tyranids and Necrons: The Necrons have their orders: Destroy the human infestation on this world. The Tyranids have theirs: eat all life and then some. The Necrons are marching towards an entrenched Imperial position, and so are the Tyranids. The Tyranids are not part of the Necron's current target list, and as such are effectively ignored. The Tyranids find the Necrons to be rich in Iron, but not immediately devourable and must wait until the later stages of the invasion. As such, the two leave each other alone and bring ruin to the poor Guardsmen, or even better, Chaos and Space Marine alliance. We'll see how long the Emperor can protect them... :
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2007, 22:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatus Glacies(Icer)
3) Black Templar, anything we do is fluffy :P
Yessir! ;D

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2007, 00:25   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Tau/IG(tau auxilaries)/tyranids

This would be a cool combo because what if the tau killed most of the synapse creatures and tranquilized the rest and trapped the fleeing tyranids in nets then sprayed them with some sort of knock-out gas and put control collars on the captured bugs? This would result in lets say a ethereal being protected by tyrant guards and tau controlled carnifexs as well as tau controlled genestealers( I know stealers are immune to the whole synapse thing but tranquilizers knocked em out)possibly a controlled lictor.

No One Expects The Inquisition This Early.
Starting Space Wolves and =][=
Kruse Va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2007, 15:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm kinda looking forward to Tau/Tyranid. Kinda like what Droids_Rule was saying about controlling 'nids, I had an idea that the Tau captured a Norn Queen or some such and strapped some kinda control module on the beasty... Always thought it'd make for a cool conversion project. Heck, I could even use the Tyranid Monstrosities rules to come up with the rules for such an abomination. I guess I finally have an excuse to do just that ;D
Old 31 Aug 2007, 16:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil Kemorya
I'm kinda looking forward to Tau/Tyranid. Kinda like what Droids_Rule was saying about controlling 'nids, I had an idea that the Tau captured a Norn Queen or some such and strapped some kinda control module on the beasty... Always thought it'd make for a cool conversion project. Heck, I could even use the Tyranid Monstrosities rules to come up with the rules for such an abomination. I guess I finally have an excuse to do just that* ;D
I was actually thinking of something similar to justify my 2000 points of Tau playing with my 1000 points of Nids. I was something along the lines of the Tau finding a very small splinter fleet (the remains of a failed invasion?) with perhaps a wounded Norn queen. The Nids are lacking in synapse control, but with the proper "adjustments" (and maybe some Human psycher help) they can ... prevent the Nids from eating Tau, and then simply unleash them on pesky enemies... or some such thing.

For that matter, I was starting a small craftworld Eldar force, perhaps I could simply say the 2 formed and alliance of necessity against some Necrons or Chaos, and through some fortunate circumstances, the Eldar have managed to control some Tyranids. Yeah... that sounds totally fluffy
Mr. Trulybored is offline   Reply With Quote