Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

slang
Old 29 Aug 2007, 21:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default slang

i think their needs to be a thread that clarifys slang sayings for example what the hell is "rhino rushing" and i guess serpent rushing is the same thing but with a wave serpent (which doesent help because i dont know what rhino rushing is) and also the less warhammer related Imo, is that it?, what does that mean?

please post slang and its more layman versions here!

Remember, kids: Paranoia Saves Lives!
Farseer Ortonceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2007, 21:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: slang

Well Rhino Rushing was an old tactic that Blood Angels player use to use. They would place their troops into Rhino's move ahead 12 Overcharge their engines for another 6 jump out 2 and charge 6. Also if they rolled a one on their Black Rage then they could move an extra d6 in the movement phase.

If two units were set up across each other with no terrain and 12" in from each board edge then the Blood Angels player could get a first turn Assault. This has been stopped with the new Big Black Book aka Rule Book.

Also IMO usually means In My Opinion.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2007, 23:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to trash-candle

Initials!!!

IA- Imperial Armour
BT- Black Templars
SM- Space Marines
OM/DH- Daemon Hunters
OH/WH- Witch Hunters
SOB- Sisters of battle
WH 40K- Well Duh!!!
DE- Dark Eldar
CSM- Chaos Space Marines

and many more...

Abreveations

'Nids- Tyranids
Skins'- Orks
Squig- Squiggoth
Ox- Krootox
Zench- Tzeench

mostly obviously but good to start with the basics

Quote:
players like to represent this act by replacing the model for Lion el'jonson with a bowling ball, and bowling it in a straight line directly towards cypher
trash-candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2007, 01:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

MEQ- Stands for Marine EQuivalant. It refers to any model or character who's statline is made oup of mostly 4's, and has a 3+ armor save.

TEQ- Terminator EQuivalant. Refers to a character who's statline is made up of mostly 4's, but has a 2+ armor save (like a SM Terminator).

GEQ- Stands for Guardsmen EQuivalent. It refers to any model who's statline is made up of 3's (like an imperial guardsmen).

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Mavfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2007, 03:10   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavfreak
MEQ- Stands for Marine EQuivalant. It refers to any model or character who's statline is made oup of mostly 4's, and has a 3+ armor save.

TEQ- Terminator EQuivalant. Refers to a character who's statline is made up of mostly 4's, but has a 2+ armor save (like a SM Terminator).

GEQ- Stands for Guardsmen EQuivalent. It refers to any model who's statline is made up of 3's (like an imperial guardsmen).
thank you all but especaly this meq teq thing i have many times been caught off gaurd by this...

keep'em coming

Old 30 Aug 2007, 03:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'll organise it into Sections(Perhaps a topic like this warrants a sticky, the question is asked fairly often)

GENERAL
PR-Plasma Rifle

ML-Missile Launcher(Markerlight if the subject is Tau)

HB-Heavy Bolter

LC-Lascannon

BP/CCW-Bolt Pistol/Close Combat Weapon

PP-Plasma Pistol

Melta-Meltagun

MM-Multi-Melta

CoD-Cities of Death

GEQ-Guardman Equivalent

MEQ-Marine Equivalent

TEQ-Terminator Equivalent

Mech-Mechanized

Power Armour-3+ save

Carapace Armour-4+ save

Flak Armour-5+ save

Powergamer-Kind of a hotbed, general use is as an insult to describe people who play to win at the cost of fun.

Cheesey-Another Insult, Used to describe a tactic of unit seen as unbalanced, overpowered, or unfair in some other way.

Beardy-Similar to Cheesy, Unsure of what the difference is. Likely one is at the tactical level while the other is at the strategic level.

Git-Often combined with any of the above three when used as adjectives to describe this one.

Invul.- Invulnerable save

DAKKA-Term used by orks and players to describe fast firing weapons.

Las/Plas-A term used to describe a unit(Usually minimised)with a lascannon and a plasmagun.

TAU
Fish 'eads-Derogatory word for Tau, used by orks and rude people.

Fish of Fury-A fire warrior unit(Typically of larger squad size)in a devilfish. The tactic is that you use the Devilfishe's(Comparably)higher resilience until within 12" of the enemy, then the fire warriors drop out the back(or side)and rapid fire, creating a short ranged hail of pulse fire. If the enemy isn't dead then the real ingenuity of the tactic comes in, the enemy cannot be within 1" of an enemy model, and the devilfish is a fairly large transport. Often used with a pair of teams, creating our next term.

Skimmer Wall-Not only useable by Tau, this is just taking advantage of a skimmer's maneuverability and the 1" rule. Several skimmers are brought within 1" of each other in a long "wall", blocking enemy movement and thus, assaults.

Feeding Frenzy-A tactic used with piranhas with Fusion blasters. Using the Piranha's speed and the 4" coherency rule for vehicle squads(or simply having them in separate squads), you zoom up to a vehicle(Prefferably a transport with an expensive unit within), block the exits, and fire away. Works best with Land Raiders and Eldar Transports.

VRT-Vetored retro thrusters.

MP- Missile Pod

SMS-Smart Missile System

Railhead-Hammerhead with a railgun

Ionhead-Hammerhead with an Ion Cannon

Kroot Pillbox-Keeping a kroot unit 7" into forest to avoid being shot at and shooting out without retaliation.

J-S-J -Jump-Shoot-Jump, a term used to describe the tactic used by Crisis teams, Stealth Teams, and Drone Teams.

Crisis Suit configurations, that warrants it's own section.

Fireknife-Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-tracker. General Purpose unit.

Deathrain-Twin Liked Missile Pod, any other system. 'Light artillery', long range anti light vehicle.

Sunforge-Twin Linked Fusion Blasters, any other system. Short-range Anti tank firepower. Usually used as a 'suicide suit'.

Burning Eye-Twin Linked Plasma Rifles, any other system. Anti-Heavy Infantry.

Firestorm-Burst Cannon, missile pod, Multi-tracker. Designed for large amount of shots

Ninj'O-Shas'O with Shield Generator, Vectored Retro Thrusters, and one weapon. The technique to use him is rather complicated and I'll leave it to someone who's actually used it to explain.

And there are many more...

SPACE MARINES
SM-Space Marine

SMurf-Derogatory word for Space Marines, player developed slang. Usually used to describe Ultramarines, due to blue color.

LR-Land Raider

LRC-Land Raider Crusader

LotD-Liegion of the Damned

Libby-Librarian

Termie-Terminator

Rhino Rush:As stated, putting a whole lot of rhinos on the board and moving 12" on the first Turn. A less viable tactic now, though Mech Marines are still strong.

RR-Ravenwing

DW-Deathwing

'Boo Drop'-A tactic where a Librarian with the psychic power 'fear of darkness' is placed in a drop pod, dropped in the middle of the opposing army, and uses the power, usually casing many of the opposing army to flee. Works best against static, low leadership armies.

Torpedo-a term used to describe a Chaplin on a bike with artificer armour turbo-boosting the first tun to get a 2+ invulnerable save, then charging the next turn to cause havoc while the rest of the force continues the attack.

DC-Death Company

Pred-Pedator

IMPERIAL GUARD
IG-Imperial Guard

T-Shirts-Slang term for Imperial Guard Flak Armour

Flashlights-Slang Term for Imperial Guard Lasguns

AC-Armoured Company, or Autocannon.

AB-Armoured Battalion

CHAOS
CSM_Chaos Space Marines

LatD-Lost and the Damned

ELDAR(Both Types)
DE-Dark Eldar

Panzies-Deragatory Word for Eldar, used by orks and other 'lesser races'.

Dragon Wagon-A term used to describe the tactic of a transport full of Fire Dragons flying up to a tank, disembarking, and killing said tank. This tends to make them very unpopular to the oppposing army the next turn.

Clown, Harlie-Terms referring to Harlequins, usually not derogatory.

Clown Car:About the same as the Dragon Wagon, but with Harlequins and Infantry.

Bus Stop:I believe it's a Tactic of holing a unit back until a falcon arrives from reserves, although the actual tactic is probably much more complex than that.

Raider Rushark Eldar tactic of using multiple raiders, far too many for the enemy to take out, to get to the opponents line quickly. As with the bus stop, I'm likely oversimplifying the tactic.

Bladestorm Drop:As with the Dragon Wagon and Clown Car, the Bladestorm drop is a quick drop off to kill something and then leave. The Exarch uses the bladestorm power to greatly incrace the number of shots the unit puts out, and then gets back into the transport the following turn.

Ghost Ship:A similar tactic to The Dragon Wagon and Clown car, the Ghost ship uses Wraithguard as it's cargo.

Wraithwall:A unit a wraithguard on foot, who can soak up more firepower than you could ever guess.

TYRANIDS
'Nids-Tyranids

'Nidzilla-An army with a large amount of Monstrous Creatures. Notoriously hard to take down.

Synapse Web-A term used to describe the "Web" of Synaptic coverage a Tyanid army has. Disruppting the "Web" by killing Synapse Creatures can weaken the Tyanid fore considerably.

'Stealer-Genestealer

There's loads more, but its' kinda late and this could become a sitewide effort. Wouldn't make a bad project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2007, 06:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Mathammer - predicting the mostly outcome in a given situation in warhammer using probability.

Poorhammer - using cheaper parts than the standard parts

WFB - Warhamer Fantasy Battles

WFBG - Warhamer Fantasy Battle Games

speartarch - autarch with a laser lance and jetbike

doomseer - farseer with doom

'kisses - harlequins' kisses

scorps/scorpiona - striking scorpions

banshees - howling banshees

dragons - fire dragons

stormies - storm guardians

avengers - dire avengers

hawks - swooping hawks

rubber banding hawks - a tactic of arguable legality whereby a unit of swooping hawks constantly skyleaps staying off the board and dropping grenade packs until the last turn when they land.

bouncing hawks - see above

spiders - warp spiders

spears - shining spears

serpent - wave serpent

reapers - dark reapers

eml - eldar missile launcher

shuri catapult/cannon - shuriken catapult/cannon

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2007, 07:20   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Grand Seer, Gearhead, nice work guys . Karma'd
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2007, 17:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

A couple to add,

there is:

Warfish: along the same lines as railhead, this is a devilfish with SMS rather than Gun Drones.

Smurfs: derogartory term for UltraMarines. (used it many times myself)

for Battlesuit configiurations, there is a thread on the Tau forum, which has names for all types of Battlesuit configurations, just use the search button.

Tau players will also use the Initials of a weapon in army lists. e.g. PR - plasma rifle (sometimes Pulse Rifle, but this is a bit rarer). or CIB - cyclic Ion Blaster. I Assume it will be the same for other races, so it just takes a little bit of common sense to work those out.

and obviously there is Batreps - Battle Reports (obvious, but some ppl)

if there are any more i'll edit this post

[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2007, 20:00   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

what are mt's