Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

40k disengagement rules?
Old 25 Aug 2007, 13:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003
Default 40k disengagement rules?

Has anybody ever worked out a set of disengagement rules for 40k?

Similar to BFG

It makes little sense that commanders would keep on fighting until the turn limit. I think some kind of disengagement rules are required.

Whilst this might be unbalanced in straight out games (ie. armies that can get to grips with the enemy much earlier and then pull out, earning higher VPs) in a campaign this would be very useful and add to the realism.

So, anybody like to have a try at some kind of rules?.....Wargamer?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2007, 13:51   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: 40k disengagement rules?

Take a LD test for each unit. If passed, that unit is classed as disengaging. It must move towards its table edge (note, this is NOT) a fall back move, and once it reaches it moves off. Units that do this count as being half strength (so half VP's) if they manage to move off the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2007, 14:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Whilst workable, I don't think a fall back move would quite cut it, that makes it look like it's a rout. When really you'd have units covering, rear guard units that disengage later, probably planned fallback routes and cases etc...as opposed to everybody D6-ing their way to the table edge.

Old 25 Aug 2007, 16:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedmongoose2003
Whilst workable, I don't think a fall back move would quite cut it, that makes it look like it's a rout. When really you'd have units covering, rear guard units that disengage later, probably planned fallback routes and cases etc...as opposed to everybody D6-ing their way to the table edge.
He said it's not a fall back move. I guess he means you're still in control of your unit, and just so long as your models finish closer to their table edge then that's ok. Besides, the rulebook is very clear on fall back moves not representing a rout; they're often supposed to represent a staggered withdrawal. Seems appropriate to me. Especially given that a player will only attempt to withdraw from battle if it benefits him to do so, so there should be some manner of disadvantage to it.

Makes it a little unfair for people faced with armoured companies though, especially if they're using a close combat type army. The tanks will merrily batter away at the encroaching enemy, scoring victory points for destroying units, all the while showing their AV14 armour facing, then they'll just be able to reverse off the table and vanish.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2007, 16:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Whilst this might be unbalanced in straight out games (ie. armies that can get to grips with the enemy much earlier and then pull out, earning higher VPs)
One of Wargamer's favourite Eldar tactics seems to be to destroy/cripple one large enemy ship and then disengage his entire fleet. If you slagged a large target, you can pull a victory with a 100 VP margin or better.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2007, 17:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Of the five basic 40k scenarios in the rule book only one could be won by "disengaging".

In cleanse, secure and control, take and hold, and recon all of the objectives are completed by advancing and taking ground while in some cases holding your own positions.

So essentially there's no need for disengagement rules, if you're disengaging you've surrendered, shake hands with the other play and pack up. Or play like a man and watch your forces die to the end!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2007, 21:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

its not like that...

Immagine you are playing a campaign with limited forces. Say 10k points without FOC. You distribute the troops evenly around and fight battles with them. Say your enemy attacks you with a LOT! wouldnt it be more benificial to withdraw your troops after a round or do and await for next turn with two sectors with units...
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2007, 22:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

So you surrender and the game ends then. Seems straight forward to me.

Or even build it in to the campaign system. For example after battles are determined but before any games are plyaed you can choose to wtihdraw forces from that sector and give it up.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 26 Aug 2007, 00:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Okay both Novae and executioner have tuned in to my line of thinking.

Falstead: Choosing to withdraw from that sector would mean just withdrawing without even trying. Where as a disengagement might happen straight after a raid or hit and run by a smaller/faster force against a larger/slower force.

Whilst surrendering your game is just that, surrendering. Maybe when you surrendered there was no way to disengage already as your units were pinned or the enemy had you outflanked. Surrendering should count as you handing over your troops, arms and marching for the enemy prison camps.

Basically what I'm looking is like the BFG way, a force comes in, destroys a few units (think raiding force on armoured column) and then disengages and gives up the sector. Eventually these damages accumulate over time.

Old 26 Aug 2007, 00:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well then the simplest soloution is this.

Disengage:

In scenarios with the disengage special rule starting at the begining of the 3rd turn you can choose to voluntarily move units off of your starting table edge. Any units that leave the battlefield voluntarily do not count as destroyed at the end of the battle. If the unit was already reduced to below 50% then the opponent scores half victory points for it as normal. Once a unit has left the table they may not return. Units that fall back off the table still count as destroyed.

HQ units may not leave the table unless they are the only units left on the board.
Quote:
Quote: