Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Creature Feature and Hazards...?
Old 24 Aug 2007, 04:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Creature Feature and Hazards...?

Well anyway. I knew about this (http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...es/default.htm) for a long time, but never got around to discuss them.

It came up in "Vespid world topic" on TAU board.

In anyway. Why is it not used? I found Army.Vs.Army.Vs.Creatures fairly promising.
Seriosly, every world (CoD might pass out on this one) has its own flora and fauna... why not to include it?

I mean every board/table can have few creatures to play with. Like desert worlds can have "dune worms" (that would be FUN to model/play), lizards, etc.
Forest, from lone stealth hunters up to pack hunters...
Etc. etc. etc...

I mean, it should be exciting. And even to a competitive gamer, A.vs.A.vs.M mode can prove to be very radical change... Pits are just "fun", but A.vs.A.vs.M. opens whole lot of strategical possibilities...

So... what do you guys think?

EDIT: Also I'd like to bring this (http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...ds/default.htm) up, I find that this hazard thingy is fairly entertaining and do not even require any models! ^_^
Though I find rolling system weird. I would rather play it as "Dusk and Dawn". Basically pick (not roll it) condition, then roll number of turns, the roll strength.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2007, 05:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Creature Feature...?

I use a creature from the WD feature as an alternate HQ choice...I love me my Enslavers. They make the game almost too easy though. I use them because I am lacking in tactics and experience, but I will eventually be rid of them.

Usually people don't play with creature vs. player vs. player because they won't have creatures made up already (That's why we don't anyways, maybe I'll get my conversion buddy to do something).

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2007, 07:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Usually people don't play with creature vs. player vs. player because they won't have creatures made up already (That's why we don't anyways, maybe I'll get my conversion buddy to do something).
We don`t play because they A unnecessary slow gameplay down and B influence our game - I mean, this is about OUR wits and OUR tactics, and not some uncontrolled creature which, in the worst possible moment, decides to gut your heavy weapon troopers...

So, no "NPCs" on my gaming boards!
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2007, 13:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Quote:
We don`t play because they A unnecessary slow gameplay down and B influence our game - I mean, this is about OUR wits and OUR tactics, and not some uncontrolled creature which, in the worst possible moment, decides to gut your heavy weapon troopers...

So, no "NPCs" on my gaming boards!
Still, it gives a certain variable that increases the tactical gameplay. Besides, with so many planets in 40k I don't see why they're all devoid of all life except our armies.

I think it sounds fun - Might just proxie some of my Tyranids for the creatures one day.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2007, 14:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I always thought it would be cool if you could include creatures you've created in your FOC... like I had an idea for what is basically a planter box - like a small rectangular garden that, while beautifying my Tau city in times of peace could serve as cover for infantry in times of war, and more over the plants in said garden, with introduction of some chemical or pheromone, would be "armed" to fire off a cloud of spores or spines into the advancing enemies (as in the FWs would fall back and as, say, Eldar Guardians moved past the planters BAM! spore cloud)

I'd love if there was some formula for which place in the FOC they'd occupy. This'd be handy for Kroot, too. Who knows how many more "evolutionary dead ends" there are in there gene line...
Old 24 Aug 2007, 16:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Made some edits at first post.

Bone saw ->

Not exactly mate. It is about your strategy! But you will have lot of more tactical possibilities to design strategy that fits more complicating environment...
These things will hurt you AND your opponent! That means you can use them to your advantage.
---------------------------------------------------------->

Anyway I find it worth exploring. Worlds of 40k are diverse. And environments DO effect battle fields. And environment includes everything from bone chilling winds & acid rain and the way up to hungry dune worms & brutal mutated scavenger birds...

Anyway guys, any ideas, examples and support would be appreciated.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Old 24 Aug 2007, 16:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22
Default Re: Creature Feature and Hazzards...?

I've made a load of creatures a few days ago for my planet.
Only then your life I will save
Luy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2007, 17:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm with Bonesaw on this one. These creatures can't really be used to your advantage because, in the basic scenario provided, they just attack the nearest models. It might be funny the first time a pack of Fenrisian Wolves pop out and disembowel your opponent's assault squad, but it'll just be a hinderance before long. It's something that can upset the balance of the game irrespective of the actions of either player. If you could drive your opponent's models towards indigenous creatures then there might be a tactical element there, but all you can do is make them fall back, which severely limits the opportunities you may have to use the local wildlife to your advantage (to such a degree that any such event would be blind luck more than clever tactics).
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2007, 17:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Creature Feature and Hazards...?

These might find greater use in campaigns. Wait! I have a great idea! It's like a scavenger hunt! Map out about 20 Planets, each with 5 new creature types (or however many you feel will be workable) and have a set of four people choose one planet at a time to visit and harvest/collect/eat (Tyranids) a certain kind or amount of creatures before the standard six turns are up. Use a victory points system on total animals and total the winners after 5 rounds of choosing.

Intergalatic zoo!

And Tom there are tactical uses, zones of creatures will become shifting barriers of resistance, I'm sure there are tactical uses for these depending on the creature involved.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2007, 18:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Creature Feature and Hazards...?

enderwiggin ->

I was thinking about tactical diversity. That "zoo idea" is presented in one of the GWs articles (M.Vs.M. or A.Vs.M/P). Basically I am not exactly thrilled with that... It might be fun for some times, but when Monster becomes your target instead of an annoyance... I find it entertaining to a certain degree. Hard to tell how balanced it would be. I mean with what GW offers it seems balanced.

May be it is possible to include one or two "special missions" in campaign when you have to hunt creatures... Like capture this creature, or survive the rush to the base thru jungle filled with monsters... and stuff like that... That would be fun.

Tom ->

Quote:
If you could drive your opponent's models towards indigenous creatures then there might be a tactical element there, but all you can do is make them fall back, which severely limits the opportunities you may have to use the local wildlife to your advantage (to such a degree that any such event would be blind luck more than clever tactics).
Thats where you are wrong IMO. Here what GW suggests.
Quote:
The lands have been infested with dangerous indigenous creatures. Each piece of terrain could hide creatures lurking in the shadows ready to strike out against meddlesome intruders.
Meaning that cover is dangerous now. And you can drive enemy into cover. With simple intimidation of your weapons. Now you and your enemy has to make choices, with whom to enter terrain, if enter it at all... And different types of beasts require different types of "attention". Further more, you could "spring trap and run" with Hit & Run rule and then creature might attack enemy who happened to be near by.
You can set few random rules, for special creatures, for example like some stalkers, they would use infiltrate or deep strike. Instead of just hidden set up. ***Of course I would recommend a mandatory rule that creature attacks only closest target*** There is quit a few rules that can be used without resorting to house rules.

Same with hazards, there are few very cool ones. Like rock slides or different types of storms. If find it interesting that you can "spring" rock slide every time Ordnance weapon shoots. Or an ash storm forces you to attack faster so you wouldn't get caught in it.
Lot of new possibilities opens up.....

Thanx for comments! I hope to hear more ^_^

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!