Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blocking deployment from transports
Old 23 Aug 2007, 19:19   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Blocking deployment from transports

I see tactics on the forums about sitting a unit at the entry/exit point of an enemy transport on your turn to prevent the unit inside from deploying the next turn and moving/shooting/assaulting normally.

Since rotating a vehicle doesn't count as movement, what is preventing the transport from simply rotating so that there is room to deploy?

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2007, 19:44   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via Yahoo to kruxigore
Default Re: Blocking deployment from transports

most of the tactics to which you are refering invovle ganging up with multiple vehicles. kinda like circle the wagons only your enemy is on the inside.

i think there is a verse in vehicle rules that basically states you may not disembark with-in 1in of an enemy model. so you force your enemy to sit there.

least i hope thats right... :P
Old 23 Aug 2007, 19:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

There are also tactics where by you sit something to block an exit point, then blow up to vehicule, and since you blocking the exit point nothing can deploy so you kill everything inside aswell as the vehicule.

Siruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2007, 20:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Rotating doesn't count as moving? I would've sworn it did...

Well, you just made my day >
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2007, 20:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Also, turning around IS movement - only turning in the SHOOTING phase if the vehicle didn`t move at all is for "free".

If the vehicle turns, and the passengers disembark, they can`t assault, since the vehicle already "moved" (unless they disembark from an open-topped transport, that is...).

Furthermore, it isn`t possible for the vehicle to turn, disembakr its passengers, and then move on, since you can only disembark at the BEGINNING or at the END of the vehicles movement, not somewhere in between (this is especially important when it comes to Skimmers and their "moving fast"-rule).

Hope this helps...

EDIT: Sorry, Tralfagar... turning on the spot in the movement phase IS movement...
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2007, 20:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

edited to remove my pompous:

Vehicles may turn "as they move", BGB page 61. Disembarkers may assault if they get off a vehicle that "has not yet moved". BGB page 62. Thus, if the vehicle turned in the movement phase it moved, and disembarkers can't assault.

To further clarify, disembarkers may get out "Before or after" the vehicle moves (BGB 62), while the vehicle's move is the only time it can turn (since the enemies move/assault phases, which is presumably when the enemy stuffed them in). Thus if it turns, the disembarkers will be getting out "after", and can't move beyond the 2" deploy, while if they get out before it moves it hasn't yet had the opportunity to turn and the enemy is in the way.

Note that this doesn't prevent a stationary vehicle from firing its weapons in any direction, as "Any vehicle that is not immobilized and did not move in the movement phase, can pivot on the spot in the shooting phase before they shoot without counting it as movement, so they may fire as if they were stationary".

An odd hunch, are you the guy I met in the Mall of GA, playing Tyranids vs. Tyranids with that other guy? PM me if so, our game was a draw and I'd like a rematch.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 02:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power
I see tactics on the forums about sitting a unit at the entry/exit point of an enemy transport on your turn to prevent the unit inside from deploying the next turn and moving/shooting/assaulting normally.
You missed a key part there, the part about forcing that enemy unit to come out of their transport in your own turn (by shooting the tank).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Also, turning around IS movement - only turning in the SHOOTING phase if the vehicle didn't move at all is for "free".
Ditto.