Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How does the Auspex function?
Old 07 Aug 2007, 06:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default How does the Auspex function?

I have been flipping out trying to understand the exact usage for the Auspex/surveyor: it's bugging me every single time I consider equipping it. Here are the rules as I understand it:

The surveyor allows the owner's unit to shoot at a squad of infiltrators deploying within 4d6 inches.

However, I still have yet to cement these answers:

1.) Is this done when the squad sets up, or at the end of the "Infiltration" deployment?
2.) Is it a single shot item, or can a single auspex potentially nail multiple infiltrators?

I have been trying to develop a tactic for both my Kroot Mercs and my up-coming Gue'Vesa Guard army. Can I get some help? :-[
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2007, 06:30   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: How does the Auspex function?

I would say that you can shoot multiple targets, but I would only shoot one.

It is after Infiltration, but before deployment.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2007, 06:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default Re: How does the Auspex function?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatus Glacies(Icer)
It is after Infiltration, but before deployment.
> If that is the case, then it WILL work.

Kroot Mercenaries Can take "Blood of the Stalker", which allows them to infiltrate an extra D6 closer than normal. Since the auspex rolls 4D6 (Max of 24) I would normally need a total of 18 to be able to spot the enemy. With this, however, I could counter-infiltrate closer, detect them on a roll of 12-17, and be better able to run enemy units away before the game even starts.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote