Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Genmottys Mathhammer Calculator
Old 27 Jul 2007, 22:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Genmottys Mathhammer Calculator

Now the otherday I got rather annoyed with reading a post with somebody quoting mathhammer figures in a table and the fact of the matter being their was so many variables that it seemed rather pointless doing a breakdown for every weapon when you could just make something to calculate the values.

Hence;

This is version 1 for Ballistic shooting which calculates the expected results to the nearest integer (Rather pointless looking at the decimal values as proability gives trends and patterns not absolutes. But if you want you can change the accuracy of the returned result (if you are relatively proficient at the use of Microsoft Excel). My second version may include a function button for accuracy and will have Hand-to-hand combat factored in.

Then I may build a third set for vehicles. I used to have a calculator like this for individual units, but I think this is better because any input value can be changed for even hypothetical situations.

If you want a copy PM me and if anybody can suggest a file hosting site (free of charges) I would be very happy to upload it for everyones use.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 00:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Genmottys Mathhammer Calculator

We can host your file here if you put it in a zip file and attach it to your post.

I would've thought most people savvy with math-hammer would have made their own calculators already... I know I have. Mine is just a compact table where you can just enter in the values on each row and the full statistics are given. The shooting component is done (inc. against vehicles), just need to work on the CC part. Then again it's not very user friendly nor does it look as nice as your calculator there =)
Old 28 Jul 2007, 00:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Heh, I have always preferred to work out the math myself. Let's me know I can still do it. :P
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 12:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hang on got it The file is below.

Err...Mods you could delete my last post. Thanks,
Genmotty

[size=smaller]Yep, removed the post - mace[/size]
Attached Files
File Type: zip MathhammerCalculator.zip (3.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: zip MathhammerCalculator.zip (3.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: zip MathhammerCalculator.zip (3.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 28 Jul 2007, 18:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant Chrysaor
Heh, I have always preferred to work out the math myself. Let's me know I can still do it. :P
I also just like to pull out a calculator and a pad of paper. In fact most of the time I don't even bother with the paper.

EmblazonedMauveGearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 01:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
This is version 1 for Ballistic shooting which calculates the expected results to the nearest integer (Rather pointless looking at the decimal values as proability gives trends and patterns not absolutes.
By the way that's not really correct. Decimal values give you a bit more detail as to what you can expect. For example a result of '1' means most of the time you'll just get one casualty. '2' means most of the time you'll get two. '1.5' on the other hand means that there's equal chance of getting '1' or '2', whereas rounding it to an integer would result in '2' giving you the impression that there's actually a higher damage rate than is actually there. So really, it's good for approximating, but for mathhammer/stats, it's not really correct or accurate...
Old 29 Jul 2007, 11:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Strictly speak you are right, but even though I am a scientist statistics annoys me when it comes to probability and because model casualties are discrete then I think its best my calculator gives values in models, rather than as a statistical probability, anyhow prior to 'ziping' it I added an increased accuracy thing for those of you who drool over stats ;D. No offense, I just don't like probability.

Anyhow when it comes to calculating the odds of any one individual soldier dieing to a said weapon (thinking multiple wounds here) would I be correct in thinking that a binomial probability distribution would be a suitable model, with the way in which x~B(P,W) changes with Probability of wounding with said weapon at said BS with respect to the characters wounds.

Because my calculator only does single wound models (although expected casualties is the number of wounds inflicted at the end of the day).

However I would like to be able to work out (statistically) which weapons prove to be the greatest threat to a multi-wund model. To do this I would be adding the spacial rulings in weapons i.e. insta kill, melta, rending etc.

Genmotty
Old 29 Jul 2007, 11:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Commander Nearsight

Meh, Mathhammer. Last time I checked WH40K was about having fun with painting, collecting and playing, not playing with rigid statistics. :

Still good to make these calculators if somebody needs them. ;D

Great site for all DE stuff.
Commander Nearsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 20:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Viorlakaisshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
Anyhow when it comes to calculating the odds of any one individual soldier dieing to a said weapon (thinking multiple wounds here) would I be correct in thinking that a binomial probability distribution would be a suitable model, with the way in which x~B(P,W) changes with Probability of wounding with said weapon at said BS with respect to the characters wounds.

Because my calculator only does single wound models (although expected casualties is the number of wounds inflicted at the end of the day).

However I would like to be able to work out (statistically) which weapons prove to be the greatest threat to a multi-wund model. To do this I would be adding the spacial rulings in weapons i.e. insta kill, melta, rending etc.

Genmotty
Sure, I think the binomy distribution probability thingy would work great. :P

I'm not good at math, but wouldn't counting the multi wound model as multiple single wound models work just as well?

Credit for my sig goes to The Immortal Black Mage

Viorlakaisshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 05:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant Chrysaor
I am forced to agree. Actually, I stopped doing Mathhammer a long time ago simply because I know what every damn unit in the Tau army does and doesn't do, and get sick of people telling me that my BS sucks. Then I proceed to crush them with massed deathrains People obviously have never played Tau until they get wiped out by their shooting. Sorry about that. My fingers are obviously angry at something :P

Cheers!

Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote