Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Can A Vehicle Suffer Multiple "Exploded" Results?
Old 27 Jul 2007, 03:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Can A Vehicle Suffer Multiple "Exploded" Results?

Okay, so upon forgetting the Fleet Rule, and the roll of a 6, I ended up with a Sentinel being mobbed by a Broodlord and a whole bunch of Genestealers. A real horde, that literally was able to surround my Sentinel completely.

I was about to simply remove it from the table when something occured to me. Seeing as I was about to lose, anyways, I decided I wasn't going to get slapped around for bringing it up, and forced my opponent (a good friend of mine, so he went along just fine) to do his half a billion attacks on a computer dice bag (we only had eight dice, and I did not want to remember that many numbers). As it was, my vehicle Exploded eight times.

Since I said I was resigning after this (that Sentinel was the last hope for grabbing an objective), we decided to see how many 'stealers these eight explosions would kill. After the third one, the entire mob was gone, vaporized in a mushroom cloud.

Punishment for overkill?

I'm just wondering if multiple exploded results stack. I don't recall reading anything against it... so...
"No, you can't put a Lascannon there; the Machine God will have a tantrum and turn the universe inside out."

balistafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 03:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Mage001 Send a message via MSN to Mage001
Default Re: Can A Vehicle Suffer Multiple "Exploded" Results?

I believe no matter how many times you get an 'exploded' results, it only blows up once. Logically, no vehicle blows up more then once in real life. Then again, when has GW been logical? For now, I would only resolve one exploded result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan
I'd like to call it... "Fair", I mean, she has boobs, how'd we compete?
Mage001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 04:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage
I believe no matter how many times you get an 'exploded' results, it only blows up once. Logically, no vehicle blows up more then once in real life. Then again, when has GW been logical? For now, I would only resolve one exploded result.
Logically it shouldn't blow up more than once. Military vessels have been known for multiple explosions though. Usually Initial hit, munitions, and gas (back when every thing wasn't nuclear).

I thought it only stacked up to the next highest result in WH40K though, then stopped at the end? ???

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 04:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

I'd say if you both agreed, go for it. Sounds like the game was over so it really was just for giggles at this point any how.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 04:14   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I would say that you roll all of them together, and then see if there are any 6s. But it can't explode more than once, since the first "Vehicle Explodes!" causes it to be removed from play.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 05:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you want to go the rules lawyer route read page 67 of the main rulebook (the damage result page) and notice that only vehicles can explode. Also note that any damage result that destroys a vehicle will turn it into a wreck instead of a vehicle or remove the vehicle from play.

Because of this a vehicle can never be destroyed more than once or can it blow up more than once.

Sorry, but I've had to be in rules lawyer mode for the past couple days. It's hard to get out of the groove once you've been in it for a bit. But that sentinel blowing up 8 times does seem cool.
We can tell other people about - having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future.
yoritomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 17:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You roll all the penetrating/glancing hits and then take the highest affect for the destroyed result but you only blow up once
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 17:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by balistafreak
Okay, so upon forgetting the Fleet Rule, and the roll of a 6, I ended up with a Sentinel being mobbed by a Broodlord and a whole bunch of Genestealers. A real horde, that literally was able to surround my Sentinel completely.
I think the real question here is why the Broodlord was using Fleet of Claw... Looks like you got bagged.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 13:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to kin7777 Send a message via MSN to kin7777

Yea, your bud jipped you. Broodlord squads can't use fleet!

PUNK'S NOT DEAD
Think, it's not illegal yet.
kin7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 14:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Dug in in Basra airport I remember hearing distant bangs and thumps coming from a cleared and secure area that our tanks had recently rolled through. It wasn't the sound of combat, it was the ammunition cooking off inside burning vehicles. Though that was hours after they'd been hit, I don't think it unreasonable for secondary explosions to occur in the event of catastropic damage. Another example is when Calves blew up his gun in an emergency withdrawal practice in Canada. Burning embers blew out of his breach when it was opened and ignited the charge bag in the loader's hands. In panic, he tossed it behind him but missed the door; it landed in the magazine. The crew all escaped (the driver only barely) but the gun was destroyed utterly (see below). They found the breach nearly a kilometre away. So yeah, I think damage from some of the weapons in the 41st millenium could be so powerful as to turn vehicle interiors into raging infernos and detonate ammunition and fuel supplies. Perhaps not Gene Stealer claws, but certainly meltabombs. Whether or not the 'vehicle annihilated' result is supposed to represent this eventuality, or even a single 'vehicle explodes' result, but there is more than one form of combustible/explosive material aboard a military vehicle.

When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote