Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dreadnoughts as HQ's
Old 20 Jul 2007, 14:18   #11 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Dreadnoughts as HQ's

Quote:
Without the sarcasm my opinion is that if one army can take an army of big guys (ie nidzilla, armoured company, etc.) Then there should be a viable alternative fore every army that is BALANCED. However, since that isn't possible there should be no nidzillas and no dread swarms.
You seem to be forgetting that compared to those races troops your infantry are hulking armour plated behemoths. Using your reasoning Imperial Guard should be able to take lots of units of heavy infantry. Armies are different, that's what makes the game interesting.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 15:01   #12 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Just to be difficult, Armoured Companies are no longer tournament legal because they were too unbalanced.
ArchHeretic Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 16:58   #13 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

I really don't see how an army with 8 dreadnaughts would be that scary to be honest. Their best armour value is 12, and they cost alot of points, so unless these theoretical HQ dreads are beefed up alot (which would of course have massive point cost reprocussions) your opponent's army isnt gonna have much else to throw on the board alongside them. 8 AV12 walkers with a handful of supporting marines would get shredded by almost any other race's shooting before they made it halfway across the board. Making them venerable would make them a little tougher, but when you can focus firepower on that scale, it's not gonna really matter.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 18:29   #14 (permalink)
Shas'La

actaully against certain armies a dreadnought HQ would be more vulnerable that a marine in terminator armor, so it wouldn't really be that practical, maybe dreadnoughts can't have pschic powers because it requires a certain amount of physical stamina which if you are moslty dead, you do not have, so they can't fight off possesion.

"Life liberty and the pursuit of cheese"- Me

All the tau have to worrie about is going off course, not having their souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party

"And we shall know fear!"-honored battle cry of the SMs also known as Sissy Marines. The chapter was later declared Worthless Extrimis after crying when shot at by Orks in the chapters first engagment. In the AER (After Execution Review) Inquistor Exter said "It was just breaking my heart to see those grown marines cry."

Tau Wins: 2 Draws:0 Losses: 0
SMs Wins: 64 Draw
Bob the Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 19:02   #15 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'm not saying its overpowered, just that I don't think that all races should have a unit to fill every niche.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 19:55   #16 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Dreds' as HQ's are pretty intresting idea, though I think, as many Marine units, could be a bit points heavy

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig
Bugga62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 20:01   #17 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchHeretic Templar
Just to be difficult, Armoured Companies are no longer tournament legal because they were too unbalanced.
I don't think that was the reasoning behind it. Feral Ork lists were also removed, and both still remain RTT legal, except at the GW Grand Tournament. This is most likely because of the upcoming ork Codex and Apocalypse, which is rumored to contain viable Armored Company lists.

[hr]

On the topic, I don't think 8 Dreads in an army would be a problem at all. Armor 12? Pfft. Easy pickings. They are slow, and only carry one ranged weapon.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 20:12   #18 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant Chrysaor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchHeretic Templar
I don't think that was the reasoning behind it. Feral Ork lists were also removed, and both still remain RTT legal, except at the GW Grand Tournament. This is most likely because of the upcoming ork Codex and Apocalypse, which is rumored to contain viable Armored Company lists.

[hr]

On the topic, I don't think 8 Dreads in an army would be a problem at all. Armor 12? Pfft. Easy pickings. They are slow, and only carry one ranged weapon.
They carry two, always. They have an assault cannon, DCCW, and storm bolter stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 22:19   #19 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mp3ror
1. Why is it that Dreadnoughts are not a viable HQ choice if they have so much wisdom and such then why are they not commanding armies with it?
Because they sleep too much :P.
I'd say you're not actually that far off the mark with that one. The longer Dreadnoughts slumber, the more their grip on reality begins to drift. If I were a Space Marine I'd prefer a sharp, alert and an utterly focused veteran captain to command me...not revered brother Kaelis who's stomping around chuckling to himself, 'purging' the local wildlife with his flamer.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2007, 23:45   #20 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

In the iron hands chapter the dreadnaughts are the most revered and looked up to as the wisest of the chapter and the ultimate goal for any iron father is to become a dreadnaught himself.

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Rogue_FireWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote