Tournament
Lightweight Arena

Heavyweight Arena

Super-heavyweight Arena

Psyker Arena

Squad Arena

Results
Results

Right, seeing as there seems to be a bit of enthusiasm for the Arena, I'm going to compile everything into 1 topic so that I won't have to repeat everything each time I start one (if this could be stickyfied that would be great).

Categories and Selection Rules
You may enter into any number of categories.

Rules
Lightweight
1. Characters must be 1 wound characters (e.g. Techpriest, Veteran Sergeant, Exarch, Repentia Mistress). The exceptions to this rule are: Ork Nobz and Mutant Bosses.

2. Rules must be from the most recent codex of that race, or Chapter Approved (Feral Orks, Kroot Mercs, Deathwatch etc). Space Marines may have Traits, Guard may have Doctrines (divide the cost by 10 and round up, so 2 for Carapace Armour, 1 for Alien Fighters etc), Chaos Marines use the smaller cost for Veteran Skills.

3. There is a maximum of 50pts. No negotiations, as in some cases even a single pt or 2 over the limit is crucial to some horrific characters.

4. No ap 1 or 2 weapons may be chosen, as these invariably turn the gladiatorial game into a shootout.

5. No armour values (I'm not sure if there are any vehicular unit leaders, but that's there just in case).

6. All wargear restrictions apply, so there are to be no Inquisitorial Stormtroopers with Null Rods and Digital Weapons, no Mutants with more than 1 Mutation, no sets of two two handed weapons.

7. No squads or retinues may be taken, this includes Followers*.

8. No 2+ saves may be taken, either armour or invulnerable.

Heavyweight
1. Characters may have up to 3 wounds, but must be chosen from the HQ section, and they must be allowed to choose wargear from the armoury (though they do not have to take any).

2. Rules must be from the most recent codex of that race, or Chapter Approved (Feral Orks, Kroot Mercs, Deathwatch etc). Space Marines may have Traits and Guard may have Doctrines (use the full cost for a unit). Chaos Space Marines use the larger cost for Veteran Skills.

3. There is a maximum of 150pts, no negotiation.

4. No armour values (Space Wolf Venerable Dreadnoughts etc).

5. All wargear restrictions apply, so there are to be no Canonesses with Digital Weapons, no sets of two two handed weapons etc.

6. No squads or retinues may be taken, this includes Followers* (in the case of Officers, remove 24pts from the cost of the Officer).

Super-Heavyweight
1. Characters may have any number of wounds, but must be chosen from the HQ section, and they must be allowed to choose wargear from the armoury (though they do not have to take any). Vehicular HQs ignore the armoury rule and instead must be capable of taking vehicle upgrades (though they do not have to).

2. Rules must be from the most recent codex of that race, or Chapter Approved (Feral Orks, Kroot Mercs, Deathwatch etc). Space Marines may have Traits and Guard may have Doctrines (use the full cost for a unit). Chaos Space Marines use the larger cost for Veteran Skills.

3. There is a maximum of 200pts, no negotiation.

4. You may also select vehicular HQs.

5. All wargear restrictions apply, so there are to be no Canonesses with Digital Weapons, no sets of two two handed weapons etc.

6. No squads or retinues may be taken, this includes Followers* (in the case of Officers, remove 24pts from the cost of the Officer).

Psyker
1. Character may have up to 3 wounds, but they must be a HQ choice that can either choose Psychic Powers, or they may select Brain Flayer or Soul Shrive at +30pts (rules found in the Adversaries section of the WH Codex, if don't have any WH Codex available then I will tell you what they do).

2. The character must have at least 1 Psychic Power.

3. There is a maximum of 150pts, no negotiation.

4. No armour values (not sure whether there are any vehicular Psykers, but just in case).

5. All wargear restrictions apply, so there are to be no Epistolaries with Holy Relics, no sets of two two handed weapons etc.

6. No squads or retinues may be taken, this includes Followers*.

Squad
1. You select a squad from any codex entry, retinue squads (i.e. Command Squads, Nob squads, Incubi, Warlock squads) may be taken without their independent characters.

2. You may not select any in dependant characters.

3. Rules must be from the most recent codex of that race, or Chapter Approved (Feral Orks, Kroot Mercs, Deathwatch etc). Space Marines may have Traits and Guard may have Doctrines (use the full cost for a unit). Chaos Space Marines use the smaller cost for Veteran Skills.

4. There is a maximum pts limit of 200pts.

5. No vehicular squadrons may be taken.

6. There may only be 1 Heavy weapon taken.

7. All wargear restrictions apply.

8. Flamer template weapons cause D6 wounds, Ord. Blast weapons cause D6-2 (minimum of 1) wounds and Blast weapons cause D3 wounds.

9. There must be more than a single model in your squad (i.e. no twisting the rules to include Carnifexes etc).

Zombie Apocalypse
All character creation rules are the same as the Heavyweight category. The Zombie Apocalypse is a new category and one which has one major difference to the other five. That is that players don't fight against each other. Instead, they fight against wave upon wave of Plague Zombies. Waves are organised in the following manner:

Waves 1-5 - 5 Plague Zombies in each
Waves 6-10 - 10 Plague Zombies each
Waves 11-15 - 15 Plague Zombies each
Waves 16-20 - 20 Plague Zombies each
Wave 21 - [surprise]???[/surprise]

The winner is determined by the number of zombies that they kill. The massive numbers are intentionally too much to handle - the point is to rack up an individual kill count, not for everyone to get the highest possible score. The last wave is a mystery and will be randomly determined from a list of potential bosses. Of course, it's incredibly difficult to reach that point, so I doubt that there'll be anyone who ever sees a final wave.

Each wave is played like an individual Arena of Death: the character gets a single round of shooting before an infinite number of assault phases until the wave, or the character, is dead. If they kill the wave then the next wave appears.

*Followers
Space Marine Familiar
Fenrisian Wolves
Chaos Space Marine Familiar
Chaos Spawn
Thrall Wizard
Chaos Hound
Gun Drone
Shield Drone
Ammo Runt
Grot Oiler
Grot Orderly
Grot Styboy
Attack Squig
Squighound
Kroot Hound
IG/SM Gun Servitor
IG/SM Combat Servitor
IG/SM Technical Servitor
BT CenoByte Servitors
Hunting Beasts (Creature Feature)

Bolded followers still give their bonuses.

Inquisitorial Henchmen that still give bonuses
Familiar
Hierophant
Warrior
Sage
Penitent

All other Henchmen do not give bonuses to Inquisitors and Inquisitor Lords.

Sending in Entries
When you have designed your entries, PM them to me (preferably in 1 PM), and title the message 'Arena of Death' or similar. Aside from a select few people (the champions of the previous Arena, people who were excluded from the previous Arena due to size restrictions), people enter the Arena on a first come first serve basis. That is to say, if there is an excess of entries (I will be using 4, 8 or 16 entries for each category), and 16 people got their Heavyweight entries in before yours, you would be excluded from Heavyweight.

Layout
Entrants are randomly picked to fight one another in the first round of the Arena, but after that it becomes a 1 vs 1 elimination tournament. When enemies battle, I'll write a short story describing each game, with the name of the winner underneath (I may take some artistic license, so don't worry if I don't mention something or say something different to the wargear your character had (e.g. in a previous AoD, I described a Thunder Hammer as a large ornate flail) because I will have your characters written down).

The winner of the finals becomes the Arena Champion; they then have the right (nay, responsibility) to gloat horribly. :P Currently, the reigning Lightweight Arena Champion and Heavyweight Arena Champion is 42, the Super-heavyweight Arena Champion and Psyker Arena Champion are ZombieKiller and the Squad Arena Champion is Grey Area.

How Lightweight, Heavyweight and Super-Heavyweight Games are Played
Games are played as a normal game would be played between characters on the tabletop in 40k, with dice, but the setup is radically different. There is one round of shooting, where weapons count as shooting from their maximum range and then an infinite number of assault phases until one character kills the other.

One thing to remember is that in the case of Instant Death via a Double Strength wound, the wounded character loses all but 1 of their wounds. Note that there are a few ways to negate this, one being of course to wound the enemy twice.

In the event of a draw (both characters die to enemy shooting, both have the same I and kill each other in the same assault phase), I'll restart the game from the phase before the draw (in other words, I write the stories up as I play, so I'm just being lazy).

How Psyker and Squad Games are Played
Psyker and Squad games are played differently because ranged combat and close combat are more evenly balanced in them. Instead of the standard 1 shooting phase/infinite assault phases setup, characters/units play alternating shooting and assault phases until one entry is determined the victor.

In each combat phase after the initial one, characters and units won't count as having charged into combat. The shooting simply represents the entries shooting much closer to the enemy than normal.

In Squad games, if any Heavy or Rapid Fire weapons are present they will be fired, so the unit doesn't gain the benefit of charging or any bonuses that are only applied when charging (e.g. Furious Charge etc), though squads may Counter-attack (for what little bonus it gives them, i.e. none).

Again, in the event of a draw, I will restart the game from the phase before both characters/units were killed, for the same reason stated above.

Extra Things to be Aware Of
1. Orks test for the WAAAGH! on their Ld, and WAAAGH! Banners can still change the result.

2. Sisters of Battle test for Faith on their Ld as well. Regardless of the requirements to gain the bonus (e.g. roll over/under number of models etc), they must simply pass a Ld test.

3. All entries are Fearless.

4. Space Marines may use a single Cursed Founding bonus instead of traits. In the same vein, you may use any Cursed Founding special units or characters for the Arenas.

5. Just to make it perfectly clear, Psykers are allowed in events other than the Psyker Arena.

6. You can create entrants from multiple codexes, you aren't restricted to a single race. You can make a Lightweight Possessed Aspiring Champion from Codex: CSM, a Psyker using the Sanctioned Psyker in Codex: IG and a Super-Heavyweight in the form of a Hive Tyrant from Codex: Tyranids if you want to.

7. You can enter in as many events as you want.

8. Harlequins may be used in any event and no matter in what way you argue your point, I am not going to include the Solitaire as a viable HQ choice.

9. Creature Feature may not be used.

10. Pistols, Heavy Weapons and Assault weapons fire at maximum range, Rapid Fire weapons Rapid Fire and thus get 2 shots. Heavy and Rapid Fire weapons will always fire if the unit or character has them, but I will only Rapid Fire with Pistol weapons if you specifically state that you want me to.

11. Both units/characters count as having charged in the first round of combat, unless they would be prevented from doing so by special wargear or due to firing Rapid Fire or Heavy weapons (or Pistol weapons that are Rapid Fired).

Q&A
If you have any questions, post them here and I'll answer them for you. This topic can also be used for discussion about the Arenas.
Old 01 Mar 2005, 20:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Re: Arena of Death

can ap 1/2 weapons be taken for heavyweights? it doesnt state that specifically, only in the lightwieght category.
Old 01 Mar 2005, 20:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hmmm...must've not added the Lightweight title by mistake.
Old 01 Mar 2005, 23:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

So, is a new Arena of Death up?
I'm tired of being poor, and even worse I'm black
my stomach hurts, so I'm looking for a purse to snatch
Cops give a damn about a negro
pull a trigger, kill a nigger, he's a hero
Givin back to the kids, who the hell cares
one less hungry mouth on the welfare
first ship them dope, let them deal to brothers
give them guns, step back and watch them kill each other
It's time to fight back, that's what Huey said
2 shots in the dark, now Huey's dead I got love for my brothers but we can never go nowhere unless we share with each other we gotta start makin changes learn to see me as a brother instead of 2 distant strangers and that's how it's supposed be how can you tell them take a brother if he's close to me I'd love to go back to when we played as kids but things change, and that's the way it is come on, come on that's just the way it is things will never be the same that's just the way it is, ahh yeah X2 I see no changes all I see is racist faces misplaced hate, makes disgrace the racist we under, I wonder what it takes to make this one better place, let's erase the wasted take the evil out the people, they'll be actin right cuz both black and white are smokin crack tonight and the only time we chill is when we kill each other it's takes skill to be real, time to heal each other and I know it's seems Heaven since we aint ready, to see a black president it aint a secret of a sealed up fact penetentiarys packed, and it's filled with blacks but some things will never change tried to show another way, but ya stayin in the dope game now tell me what's a mother to do? being real don't appeal to the brother in you - yeah - You gotta operate the easy way - I made a G today - but you made it in a sleezy way sellin crack to the kids - I gotta get paid - well hey, well that's the way it is chorus talking ... we gotta make a change it's time for us as a peopl
Old 02 Mar 2005, 07:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes.
Old 02 Mar 2005, 09:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman

Ok.. so do we just PM our character to u like last time?
Old 02 Mar 2005, 17:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yarr.
Old 02 Mar 2005, 23:27   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

What info do we need to give you for the character?
Old 03 Mar 2005, 16:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The equipment, total points and type of character.
Old 04 Mar 2005, 18:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

At the moment I have 5 Heavyweight entries, 2 Lightweights and 2 Psykers, but I can't do an Arena for the last 2 with that number, so I need more entries.

Sorry for the double post.