Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dummy armour save question...
Old 27 Apr 2007, 02:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Dummy armour save question...

Well, with the majority save mechanics, I came up with some issues about it is, or not, possible to decrease an armour save.

The thing is that an Inquisitor Lord as Meq like save, but he has access to a carapace armour trough his armoury, which, if taken, would decrease its armour save, but is it legal or even possible ?
Old 27 Apr 2007, 03:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke
Default Re: Dummy armour save question...

I would assume it's completely legal, and fluffy for a new inquisitor who hasn't garnered up too many followers.

Heck, If I were playing you, I would allow you to take the cost of the carapace armor and subtract that from the models original score if you were to downgrade from power armor to carapace.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 03:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

What exactly is the probelm your having? Don't you want your HQ to be well protected? I see little reason to try to decrease his armor save (though I think it's legal), unless you wan't him to be shot up for some reason.

I guess I'd do the same thing with the Kroot shaper (darn 6+ save, why does he have to be different).
Old 27 Apr 2007, 04:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
What exactly is the probelm your having? Don't you want your HQ to be well protected? I see little reason to try to decrease his armor save (though I think it's legal), unless you wan't him to be shot up for some reason.

I guess I'd do the same thing with the Kroot shaper (darn 6+ save, why does he have to be different).
The thing is that my retinue is more valuable than my naked Inquisitor Lord. That's why I want to im to the hits (plus he's unscoring...)

(Inquisitor Lord with Liber Heresius worth 65 pts, as no role other than compulsary HQ and Assassin. Perhaps, his retinue is composed of 3 HBs... so if He can take the hits, I'm happy...)
Old 27 Apr 2007, 05:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladesuit
The thing is that my retinue is more valuable than my naked Inquisitor Lord. That's why I want to im to the hits (plus he's unscoring...)

(Inquisitor Lord with Liber Heresius worth 65 pts, as no role other than compulsary HQ and Assassin. Perhaps, his retinue is composed of 3 HBs... so if He can take the hits, I'm happy...)
Well, if you want him to absorb the enemy fire, I'd leave him be. Maybe even give him better armor as opposed to worse.

Why? Because Power armor is much better at absorbing enemy fire than carapace armor. I get the idea that you don't mind if he gets killed, but I don't think you WANT him to die, do you? All the carapace armor would do for you in this case would be to allow him to soak up LESS enemy firepower before going down, meaning that more enemy shots are going to be allocated to your gunners.

Just for kicks, here's how I would run a barebones Inquisitorial HQ Dakka squad (I don't have my 'dex on me, so I'm not even going to bother with points.):

-1x Inq lord w/ Artificer armor (This bad boy can eat a good amount of firepower. He's not going down easily, so that's less shots you will have to put on others. He would probably be ok without the Artificer Armor if you're short on points.)
-1x Acolyte, no upgrades. (Use him to keep your inquisitor alive.)
-3x HB warriors
-Either 2x or no sage (double or nothing because the effect of only one is geared towards the inquisitor alone.)

With this setup, your inquisitor and acolyte can take the brunt of the firepower and come out alive, and the sages (if you take them) will help our your HB warriors a bit. It's relatively cheap, too.

Personally, I run a retinue where the Inquisitor plays a more important role, but I'll post it anyways, just for reference and ideas:

-1x Inquisitor Lord w/ Artificer armor, Psycannon, power weapon.
-1x Acolyte w/ Power armor, bolt or plasma pistol, CCW.
-2x HB Warriors
-1x Plasma Cannon Warrior
-2x Sage

In this configuration, the Inquisitor can help out quite a lot with his 3 BS5 Psycannon shots. I give him Artificer armor so he can take more hits, and I plop the whole squad in cover for good measure. The Acolyte usually only takes hits for the Inquisitor, but his pistol has come in handy on occasion. The plasma cannon and sometimes plasma pistol are there to kill any MEQ that get in range, while the sages keep everyone hitting on target. MY actual config is slightly different than that, but you get the picture.

Just a note: If I were facing you, I would still be fine with you taking carapace over normal, but I would probably point the above out.

Old 27 Apr 2007, 05:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, I thought that armour saves had to be taken from the worst to the best, taking into consideration de majority saves for application of said armour saves.

So, a Inq Lord (3+) with 3 Warriors (4+) just have the same value, so we take the worst first, exessive saves are then applied to the Inq Lord (excessice numbers to 4 or more saves).

But if I change the Inq Lord save to 4+, the whole unit save is 4+, so I'm free to allocate him the wounds, therefore, he can freely suck in up to 3 wounds, more if I combine him with a medic.

I'm ok into this or I'm I making it all wrong ? I'm doing this from memory... maybe I should have a look at the BBB...
Old 27 Apr 2007, 05:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, the rule you are trying to describe is the majority armor rule. I don't know it by heart anymore ( I haven't played in a few weeks), just making sure you know the rule name for ease of looking it up.

I don't believe saves have to be taken from worst to best, but I think part of the M.A. rule has to do with a scenario like this:

Your unit is hit by a 6 AP4 shots . You can't take them all on the Inquisitor and acolyte, so the appropriate number of 4+ units are taken off right away, before you roll saves on the Inq and acolyte.

Just because your Inq has the same save doesn't mean he can take all of the hits.

*EDIT* And where does it say you can put a medic in an Inquisitorial retinue? This is an honest question, because if you can (although I don't think you can ), I'm sure as heck taking one.

Old 27 Apr 2007, 06:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, it isn't a medic, it is called a chirurgeon, and it is pretty much the same as a medic, only it can only cure the Inquisitor.

Thanks for the rule name, I'll have a look at it.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 06:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladesuit
Well, I thought that armour saves had to be taken from the worst to the best, taking into consideration de majority saves for application of said armour saves.
Majority Armor Saves are the primary concern, not which is better or worse. Only when you have the same # of armor types do the worse one's get allocated hits first. If you have access to a 4+ save, thier is nothing against using it. Just as if you bought better armor, your original save is replace by the new one.
Old 28 Apr 2007, 00:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Depends on the wording. IIRC, the Guard codex says the Carapace Armor Adds One to the save, so if it was using that wording Carpace armor would get you a TEQ save!

If it says a 4+ save then your out of luck.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote