Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Raising the Alarm Question?
Old 22 Feb 2007, 03:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Raising the Alarm Question?

For missions that have sentries, the defenders main units can also raise the alarm if they can see a unit that is twice there initiative away from them. My questions is can vehicles see? If so how do I know how far? Is it their basic troop initiative that I use?
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2007, 06:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Raising the Alarm Question?

I would assume they can see and you use the Initiative of the crew to determine it. Since I believe it states in the unit entry for every vehicle who is crewing it. Thus a rhino or razorback would have Initiative 4, but a Hammerhead or Devilfish would have initiative 2.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2007, 21:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd argue that they can't see. they have no I value, and you could safely assume that they crew is not at battle stations (IE, in the tank) becuase they are standing in the chow line or catching some ZZZZs in thier pup tent. After all, that is exactly what the rest of the army is doing.
Rapid Fire

Gets 'em every time

Bustafer Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2007, 21:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah, but they still do go "Hey! What's a Gaunt/Ork/Cultist/Necron/Guardsman/Marine/Knight/Sister/Whatever doing here?"

Still, I do doubt that they spend their off time sitting in a vehicle... maybe... gahhh, who knows?
"No, you can't put a Lascannon there; the Machine God will have a tantrum and turn the universe inside out."

balistafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2007, 22:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The problem is when it comes to skimmers in a mission that uses the Alarm. If the crew is not in it then are they floating or not. See my dilema.
Old 25 Feb 2007, 02:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Moot point. A skimmer only has rules for moving over 6", not for landed/not landed. It didn't move, so it can be penetrated, but counts immobilized as just that, not crashed and destroyed.
Rapid Fire

Gets 'em every time

Old 25 Feb 2007, 03:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yea but there aren't rules for the crew standing around in the camp, since they aren't in the camp and the troops are there, one would assume they are in their vehicle. I doubt a vehicle crew in the middle of a warzone would be very far from their instrument of death, and their protection.

As for skimmers its not a moot point. Tau skimmers have landing gear, if they don't move at all they count as being landed and block LOS. Though since the army can't move until the alarm is sounded I would assume that Tau skimmers would count as landed.

Old 26 Feb 2007, 13:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

True, Vash, landed tau skimmers can block line of sight. Therefore, it is up to the controlling player whether it is landed or not. However, the rules for sentries clearly state that the defender is not expecting combat, but rather they are resting, eating, cleaning thier gear, or just shooting the bull. In the case of non-landed skimmers, figure that they are airborne due to mechanics running some tests on them, and landed ones are landed because thier crews are off doing somehting else. But the point is that a vehicle does have an I value, and therefore can't raise the alarm. It says this very clearly in toward the bottom of page 204, "all the other defending models with an Initiative value count as sentries..."
Rapid Fire

Gets 'em every time

Old 27 Feb 2007, 00:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

"Moot" what are you some sort of wierd animal that goes Moot MOOT!!!* Please let me know what your moots mean as I have no clue as to it meaning good or bad? All jokes aside I do appreciate that you responded to my question and provided your insight into this question I have. MUCHO thanks to all involved.

PS what is moot?
Old 27 Feb 2007, 01:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

A moot point for instance is like an argument over who is going to hang the curtains in a house thats burned down already. The point has already passed and therefore the whole argument is pointless or moot.

As for whether vehicles detect the enemy or not I am still not entirely sure as to the ruling, but thats just from a rules lawyer stand point. I see your point the rules indicate vehicles without an I can't detect the enemy. Still I wonder then why all the codexies I've seen except the two last ones still list the crews for the vehicles as otherwise it would have no impact on the game. Ah well a curiosity for another time.