Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

wargear
Closed Thread
Old 11 Nov 2006, 05:59   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default wargear

OK 1st off i am just starting out with 40k played other games including Gothic so i normally expect i should be able to read the rules and just get it. that said a friend who has played befor and i interpret the wargear rules different. i have been digging for clarification on this and i am not finding it so i am asking for some help from the guys who have been at this for more time.

anyway codex reads "a model ( then lists type of unit ) with access to the armory, may choose up to 100 points from the ( unit type ) wargear list"

now i read that as i can put 100 points in gear on a model and i have to pay the cost ie a 20 point unit with 100 points of wargear costs 120 points when adding it to a army. my friend tells me that because it never lists anyware you actually have to pay those points the model still only costs 20 points.

anyway if i could get some help in saying who is right so i am building my army right please thanks.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 06:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: wargear

You would be correct the model does pay for the wargear. That is why there is a points cost. The 100pt limit is just so a 30pt model doesnt have 250pts of wargear. The price of the item being bought for the model is added to its cost and the total wargear cost cannot exceed 100pts. So say a master is 77pts base with only 2pts of wargear a bolt pistol and a close combat weapon. But he could take an Adamantine mantle, artificer armor, plasma pistol, power weapon and melta bombs instead making him 175pts total. The base cost of the master plus the cost of all of his wargear.

Old 11 Nov 2006, 06:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Your friend was just trying to cheat you I think otherwise everything would be kitted out to the extreme.
You are right in this case.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends. a friend of a friend (The First Cortana Letter) R.I.P KJ
Old 11 Nov 2006, 06:33   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

tho i will admit i have as of yet not read the necron codex. he is playing necron so i am currently taking his word for the fact his HQ lord is the only wargear capable unit he has. i am going to be playing tau so i actually think i could have exploited it more than him. its more we are trying to get other friends to play and i didn't want to set them back.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 07:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Ah I see but all codex's work the same no one gets to write off the wargear costs. But you can try to mention that discreetly if you wish or let it slide for a while, outside of a tournament setting its not like every rule has to be handled strictly and its easier to take things simply when trying to get people into the hobby.

Old 11 Nov 2006, 09:25   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

And also bear in mind that for charachters, the points limit only applies to his or her wargear. Not their weapons
Closed Thread