Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Allocating Attacks in CC
Closed Thread
Old 04 Sep 2006, 21:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Allocating Attacks in CC

OK. last night in a combat patrol game against my brother (Tau vs. Tau), my Kroot managed to charge his crisis suit and gun drone. After all attacks were said and done, I ended up with 6 total wounds that he needed to make saving throws for. My question is- who takes these wounds? Can I allocate just 1 to the gun drone and hit the Crisis suit with the other 5? As I couldn't find a ruling, we went with 3 each, but I'd like a good answer, or a direction to a page in the rulebook, as I couldn't find anything.
Old 04 Sep 2006, 22:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw
Default Re: Allocating Attacks in CC

If the Gundrone and Crisis suit are part of the same squad they take all the wounds and armour saves are made for one till it dies then goes to the next or however the defender whats to do it. Any hits beyond what it takes to kill the one autmaticly go to the other though, always. If they were two seperate squads the attacker would then allocate which model got how many hits.
Old 05 Sep 2006, 00:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

So one at a time, then? As in, he rolls until the drone dies, then has to roll the remaining saves against his crisis suit?
Old 05 Sep 2006, 00:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue 7
So one at a time, then? As in, he rolls until the drone dies, then has to roll the remaining saves against his crisis suit?
If he so chooses, yes. He should declare each attack going where in such a case becuase it is a mixed strength unit and there are equal number of each armour type. One would assume though they would put the attacks on the drone before risking the crisis suit.
Old 05 Sep 2006, 03:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hmm, I think it's handled slightly differently. On page 76 under Mixed Armour, it says that the weakest save takes the first wounds, then it moves to the better saves, and each one has to take a hit before they can take a second. Here's a bit from their example:

Quote:
If the Black Templar unit described about received twenty wounds (squad of 6 Initiates and 5 Neophytes)... The unit would therefor have to make twelve 3+ Saves with the Initiates and eight 4+ Saves with the Neophytes.
So because of this his Crisis Suit and his Gun Drone would each have to make 3 saves, which means that both the Crisis Suit and the Drone could die simultaneously.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Current Armies: The Lone Wolves 2092 pts
Hive Fleet Basilisk 1601 pts
Old 05 Sep 2006, 06:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

They have the same armour sace and toughness.

Drones now have the same toughness and armour save as the unit they are with.

ie Broadside T4 AR 2+
* * Crisis Suit T4 AR 3+
Old 05 Sep 2006, 07:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

IIRC, you should allocate wounds evenly, so in this case your opponint would make 3 saves first, one for each model. If he makes all 3 save, then the next 3 wounds would be allocated evenly again. (Note: if all the models have the same SV then he can just roll 3 dice and if some fail, he can chose who dies, but if thier is different SV on the models, like if thier was a crisis suit and 2 gun drones, then he would have to roll the different SV. seperatly I.E. roll one dice for the CS, and 2 dice for the drones, and he gets to choose which drone would die if the SVs are failed). Now (assuming were using shiled drones) suppose he made 2 saves, one on the CS, and one on the drone, while one drone died. He'd first remove one drone, then he'd have to allocate 2 wounds to each model (since thier are 3 more wounds he hasen't rolled for), try to make the save, and then with the last wound, allocate it on whoever he wants (or who ever survived).
Old 06 Sep 2006, 00:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharasiph
They have the same armour sace and toughness.

Drones now have the same toughness and armour save as the unit they are with.

ie Broadside T4 AR 2+
Crisis Suit T4 AR 3+
gun drones, not shield drones in this case.
Old 06 Sep 2006, 14:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

With gun drones, you would use the mixed armour rules - but, you've also inflicted more wounds than there are models, so you can also force a specific model to take a wound check (Page 26, Rulebook).

But, the mixed armour rules dictate that you distribute the wounds first to the models with the majority armour saves, then to the next majority, and so on until all models have one wound assigned. Then repeat this process until all wounds are assigned. Then roll the saves. (Don't roll half the saves before allocating the other half, for example).
Old 06 Sep 2006, 23:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I wonder about that in close combat. Making your opponent roll on the model of your choice. In ranged I do it all the time, but I have yet to find that I can, no questions asked, do it in the much less random close combat contests.
"When a necron gets hit with a weapon more than double its toughness it is hit so hard that it goes into "negative damage" and does less damage than it actually would if it hit him with less force!" Quote from azimaith on Warseer, contemplating how much GW will Nerf the WBB rules.
Closed Thread