Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How many of you game @ a store other than GW?
View Poll Results: How many of you game @ a store other than GW?
I don't 22 73.33%
Occasionaly 2 6.67%
I don't 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 30 Aug 2006, 02:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default How many of you game @ a store other than GW?

Well? The only GW close to me is 55 miles away, so I go to a little store called Sarge's Comics... We game in the basement, I like it better than any GW store I've ever been in (which is 1) and it's only about 20 minutes away (as aposed to 1hr and 15 minutes)...

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 30 Aug 2006, 02:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash
Default Re: How many of you game @ a store other than GW?

I game exclusively with my friends like Kristyna and Jem (before she moved away)...as well as in a couple of old clubs and against the occasional random person that asks me. This will change in Canada...as quite a few of us TO webbers are in Ontario.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 30 Aug 2006, 03:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I rarely play at GW. Last time as when I was going to school in Toronto and I stopped by Eaton Centre for 500 pointers on my lunch break

Kinda feel bad that I never got to play one of the staffers that was constantly bugging me for a game. Even if he used a Lysander-Wing army... Scheduling just never worked out
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 30 Aug 2006, 03:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash
I game exclusively with my friends like Kristyna and Jem (before she moved away)...as well as in a couple of old clubs and against the occasional random person that asks me. This will change in Canada...as quite a few of us TO webbers are in Ontario.
Bash, we know you have a harem of gorgeous gamers... stow it already .

I've never played at a GW... mainly against a single opponent, occassionally at a hobby shop... if the timing works out, I intend to play as much as possible at the nearby dedicated gaming store I discovered. I feel bad not having had a chance to get there over the summer, I basically just gave the store owner tips on his Ork army and haven't been back since :S.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 03:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

I game anywhere except a GW.

*GW store:*

[size=12pt]"Hi! Do you know about our product?! Well let me sho---"[/size]

[size=11pt]---Yes. I know about your product.[/size] :

Seriously, do they have to open up every time with sales pitches? If it's not already painfully obvious that I'm carrying this very large out-of-place cooler full of miniatures, maybe seeing your face, you know, recognizing people would give things a helping hand. But what really gets under my skin is that these kids that work at this GW, really don't even know much of anything about the "product" they're selling. They're just salesmen. How cool is it to play and talk with salesmen. No thanks. I prefer the independent shops, where the people who are there are always there, know everything in the store and don't try to sell anything--they know you're there for a reason and it's not to "learn about a product." And don't even get me started on the horror that is people who go to a GW and ask rules questions and then come running to 40k communities screaming about how "Mr. So and So at my GW said this!" only to discover from 4,000 other people that it was completely false and ridiculous. 40k is a great game, but good heavens, the banana farm must be getting thin.

There are two GW's in Quebec. Two. There are lots of other shops, comic shops, gaming stores, hobby shops. I play everywhere except the GW. And back in the States, in Florida, I never even saw a GW. Mega Comics was my store of choice. But here in Quebec, when I do see a GW, or go near it, I can't help but feel pity.

For all of you with good GW's to game in, I'm happy for you.
For everyone who has a place other than GW to game in, I'm more happy for you!

Cheers! :P
Old 30 Aug 2006, 03:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Mage001 Send a message via MSN to Mage001

I always game at either a friend's house, or at a place called Sci-Fi City. Great place as there's always a game going on and people to challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan
I'd like to call it... "Fair", I mean, she has boobs, how'd we compete?
Old 30 Aug 2006, 04:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
Bash, we know you have a harem of gorgeous gamers... stow it already .
I won't in Canada...I'll not have ANYONE to play with (except Amanda) when I get there...and not even a worthy army til I get around to the Tale of Four Gamer thing which I will follow on with til I build the entire army. Until I even get PR there (possibly next year, mayhap a couple of years after that if I have to return to Australia), I won't have an American visa to go down and visit Kate in New York. So...I'm going to very limited for gaming choices to start with until I find anywhere nice to play at.

I'm with Mal here though...I don't like GW salesmen...and I shudder whenever anyone else tells me I should become one. Bouncing made parties, clubs, drinking and, to an extent, even CONCERTS boring for me...I'm scared to think of what would happen if I made my favourite hobby into my job. Not happening. Ever.

Some peope enjoy being there...and good for them. I merely don't and am glad they have somewhere fun to play. I wish I had that.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 30 Aug 2006, 05:08   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

For me there is only one way to go and game: independent ones. My country doesn't have them GW at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 05:25   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The GW store is the only place I can game at since I dont know anywhere else where I live (Inland Empire California) I'd like to go other places. Only other hobby store I know of doesnt have any place to play at.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 09:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
[size=12pt]"Hi! Do you know about our product?! Well let me sho---"[/size]

[size=11pt]---Yes. I know about your product.[/size] :
Hahaha, I was in my GW the other day picking up a couple paints as I oogled the new night goblins from the battle for skull pass box... about 10mins later I had preordered 2 boxes. They're starting to shift in a new staff that now tries to sell things instead of taking smoke breaks every 30mins, playing magic in the back room when the managers not there, telling little kids to shut up or there legs will be broken, or entertaining us with stories of their tour of duties, including time in Iraq with the army.

Since all the good employees are leaving I think I'm going to have to start heading down to the other hobby shop slightly farther away. Once everyone leaves I'm only heading back to that store to enter in the monthly painting contests where the winners get free 45$ worth of merchandise, etc.
Closed Thread