Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Having trouble getting started
Closed Thread
Old 16 Jul 2006, 04:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Having trouble getting started

Well I'm at it again, looking to start playing 40K, browsing tau online forms and the GW website, checking the sweet paint jobs in the hobby section. I first became interested in 40K back when DOW came out and I started checking out the Game Workshop web site and really getting hyped about the table top game, after some googling I stumbled across the tau online forms and got a more in depth look at the 40K universe. However, I eventually realized how hard it was to get into the game, especially with the cost, so I just kind of faded Warhammer out of my life. It seems like every three months our so something warhammer related would catch my eye and Id find myself looking over the GW web site, and frequently checking the tau online forms, getting all hyped about starting an army until reality brings me back down to earth and I fade out warhammer again...

This afternoon boordome took over and I found myself googling random things until warhammer appeared in the firefox search memory. So after watching the amazing Mark of Chaos trailer I found myself hooked again (still hooked 40K but the MOC trailer was awesome) Well I just got a job and I'm about to get my drivers license so it looks like now is as good a time as ever to get excited about 40K.

Unfortunately I still have a few problems, no one I know plays and we don't live in a practically wealthy area so I think most of my friends will be scared by the cost, I live in Cincinnati and there's no GameWorkshop store even remotely close, the cost still looks killer even with a job I'm not sure I'm ready to commit that much money in a hobby.

Any advise on how to get over those hurdles would be greatly appreciated. I hope to start playing 40K soon!

Old 16 Jul 2006, 04:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha
Default Re: Having trouble getting started

Well, it really all depends on what army you want to play, and what kind of game. I suggest Kill team. You'll need the rulebook, and a make a squad of whatever you want out of that. It doesn't cost much to play and have fun with that, and it most certainly won't run you over $100, unless you really want it to. It should be easy to get friends into, as they only need the appropriate codex, not another rulebook, and the models they want.

Give it a shot, and we hope to see you in 40k!
Old 16 Jul 2006, 05:11   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the speedy advise! Do I have to get White Dwarf 286 & 287 to get the rules for kill teams or are they available elsewhere?
Old 16 Jul 2006, 05:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Viorlakaisshi

The rules for kill team are in the rulebook. (I know they are in the hardback copy, but I am not sure about the paperback.)

Credit for my sig goes to The Immortal Black Mage

Old 16 Jul 2006, 05:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I believe that the softback copy of the rule book is from 3rd edition. And no, the rules for kill team are not in the 3rd edition rule book. If he is going to get into the hobby then he really will need the 4th edition which is only available in hardback to my knowlege. FYI, the 3rd edition rule book is often called the BBB or Big Black Book while the 4th edition rule book is often called the BGB or Big Gray Book. Just so you know.
Kill Team can be fun but you have to have some degree of understanding into the workings of your army, right? I would have to suggest combat patrol instead of kill-team. Slightly more money but it will allow him to play begginer level games of actual 40k, of which the experience will be invaluable. It will also give him a nice base army to go forward with, should he choose to. Just my opinion.

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Old 16 Jul 2006, 05:24   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viorlakaisshi
The rules for kill team are in the rulebook. (I know they are in the hardback copy, but I am not sure about the paperback.)
Kill team rules are one of the things that were left out of the paperback.

Quote:
I believe that the softback copy of the rule book is from 3rd edition.
I think that the softback he's referring to is the Battle For Macragge rulebook.

GW corporate stores aren't the only place to game. I'm sure that there's a FLGS somewhere in the Cinci area...
Old 16 Jul 2006, 05:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Good point, I didn't even think about the Battle for Macrage booklet. Thanks for reminding me .

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Old 16 Jul 2006, 07:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszilla445
Thanks for the speedy advise! Do I have to get White Dwarf 286 & 287 to get the rules for kill teams or are they available elsewhere?
No problem. No, they can be found in the hardback copy of the 4th edition rulebook. It'll run you about $50 bucks.

Steel Skeleton mentioned combat patrol, and I thought about it, but you said you were on a really tight budget, so I decided not to suggest that. It depends on how much you want to pay for stuff. I'll PM you a good website to buy things from for a much cheaper price!
Old 16 Jul 2006, 12:02   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

about no one near you play, if you get the starter set (battle for macragge) that contains two roughly equal basic teams. Which means that you are your friend can play without having to buy two seperate armies.

vAMPed.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 18:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gada Mazaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszilla445
No problem. No, they can be found in the hardback copy of the 4th edition rulebook. It'll run you about $50 bucks.

Steel Skeleton mentioned combat patrol, and I thought about it, but you said you were on a really tight budget, so I decided not to suggest that. It depends on how much you want to pay for stuff. I'll PM you a good website to buy things from for a much cheaper price!

Can I have that link too? Pleeeaaaasssssssseeeee(whiny voice). Ok, back to being a big boy and acting older than a 4 year old...

{EDIT} Sorry about that. I read the comment above and wanted to clarify. That was me being a smart ass to myself. It wasn't directed at anybody else, sorry if it confused you guys as well. :P (Does anybody else think that its just a little bit sad when your own comment confuses you?)

--Commissar_Will
Closed Thread