Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Recoilless' guide to searching
Closed Thread
Old 14 Jul 2006, 00:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Recoilless' guide to searching

Due to some recent threads I have decied to write this guide for the benefit of the community.

Searching is probably the most useful forum feature that goes unused. Thus I have written the following guide to fourm searching.

RULE #1: Always search for the answer to your question unless it is one that is specifically tailored to you, such as, "I have units x, y, and z, what do you think i should buy next." Even then you should search as previous posts, such as Malveaux's guides and people asking similar questions to yours can still be helpful in making decisions.

RULE #2: Always search to see if the thread you indend to make has been created recently, if it has, dont post unless you have somting new to add.

RULE #3: Search engines can be picky when your searching for somthing, lets say "Fast running", you need to do multiple searches not just "fast running".

Search
"run"
"fast"
Somone could have said the word runner in the thread so search "runner"
If you know further information use that too so search "sprinter" or "olympics." Additionally, remove extranious words to increase the number of hits and therefore the chance you will find the thread you are looking for.
A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down, and orders a sandwich. He eats the sandwich, pulls out a gun, and shoots the waiter dead. As the panda stands up to go, the manager shouts, " Where are you going? You just shot my waiter"

"Hey, man, I'm a PANDA!" the panda shouts back. "Look it up!"

The manager opens his dictionary and reads:

Panda: A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Learn punctuation it changes the meaning of your sentinces. If you don't I'll destroy you.

Join TFOTFUWBS
Old 14 Jul 2006, 01:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Viorlakaisshi
Default Re: Recoilless' guide to searching

This should be pinned.

Credit for my sig goes to The Immortal Black Mage

Old 14 Jul 2006, 01:54   #3 (permalink)
lonely tau

yeah...somehting tells me this is the wrong board...

Old 14 Jul 2006, 01:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Actually I checked with SpiritBW he said go ahead and post and if he finds some place better he'll move it.

Additionally, then why are the forum rules in this board?
A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down, and orders a sandwich. He eats the sandwich, pulls out a gun, and shoots the waiter dead. As the panda stands up to go, the manager shouts, " Where are you going? You just shot my waiter"

Panda: A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Learn punctuation it changes the meaning of your sentinces. If you don't I'll destroy you.

Join TFOTFUWBS
Old 14 Jul 2006, 02:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Uh, the forum rules are on this board becuase no t many seem to read the announcment board like they should. Posting them here increases the chances people will see them and so read them. Doesn't always work that way though. By the way, you got plus karma for this post Recoiless.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 03:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Just to add a little note to add:

The key to searching is the same as when you're looking up a word in a dictionary. You don't just blinding flip through the book hoping to land on what you were looking for. You follow a natural process of specifying what you need until you find it. You start with a broad category. You find it. You narrow down where in that category what you're looking for fits. And you just keep going until you find it or until you determine it's not there.

To do this, you should probably always use the Advanced Search feature. This allows you to narrow your search to specific parts of the forum. After all, there's no sense in searching Tau advise from non-Tau army boards or off-topic an general topic areas which don't even have anything to do with 40k. You can easily select where you want the search to be carried out. Search only where it looks like the information you seek may be--common sense goes very far and can help you find things more quickly.

You can also narrow your search to search the contents of a thread, or just the topic titles. This can help you go much faster. For example, if you just want to look at Tau topics concerning Eldar, you may just search the Tau forum (and only the Tau forum) for topics that contain the word "Eldar." You'll find a lot of information faster, than filtering through thousands of posts where the word is mentioned, in threads that have nothing to do with what you're looking for. That's a common sense way to narrow it down and find what you need.

Another big thing about searching, which isn't even noted on the search features is the specific use of quotations in your search. For example:

[size=11pt]Search: the running game[/size]

If you entered that into the search feature, you would find anything concerning those three words. This will make it more difficult to find something specific, but it will make the search more broad, allowing more returned items to view.

Quotations can make it more specific:

[size=11pt]Search: "the running game"[/size]

When you use quotations around a group of words, it tells the search code to only find exactly that phrase, and not just the words. This is very specific. And this kind of search may return with very few hits that have relevant text, but it will be exactly what you typed.

(Note: in those examples given, the first search without quotations gave me 30 pages worth of hits. That's way too many to find something specific. Using quotations, the same search provided only 3 actual hits. Not 30 pages worth of hits, but just 3 hits. The difference is, they were exactly the phrase I wanted and I found exactly what I typed. This can be a speedy process to finding things that have already been asked and answered.)

[size=11pt]Searching is your friend![/size]
And a big thanks to Recoilles for reminding everyone!

Cheers!

Old 14 Jul 2006, 03:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Although im not a huge fan of selecting specific boards. e.g. the MC vs SM thread in the 40k universe thread. If some one were looking for somthing along those guidelines they would be entirely robbed of a similiar thread in the Halo Codex project.

So when searching for things that are a little more specific try without the filters first.

Join TFOTFUWBS
Closed Thread