Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tournaments.....
Closed Thread
Old 13 Jul 2006, 19:33   #1 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Default Tournaments.....

Hello

Next year i am 16, and i was thinking maybe going to Tourney will be good fun and improve my skills on the table. Now what i am asking you is what armies are played, what is the cheese/power game rate (out of 10) what's the atmosphere like, what are the people like and finally what army would be good for tournaments. As i only have a Vostroyan guard army, and Guard are pants in competitive battles.

Thanks.

Old 13 Jul 2006, 19:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Tournaments.....

Really depends on what kind of tourny youre getting into and what area its in. Some areas are more cheeseball infested than others. I often avoid tournaments at my local shop because I know that at least 50% of the armies will be utterly vomit-enducing in term of composition. At the last doubles tournament we had about a quarter of the people took daemon bomb armies... Maybe 50% actually had a list that didnt make me want to vomit
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 13 Jul 2006, 23:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

If your going in for a tournament i would think the you will have at least 60% MEQ player. its a simple fact that more people have MEQ and there also easy to play and to play well, your less likely to get punished badly for a mistake with them. i would also expect allot of fast army's ( mech tau dark eldar all mounted, and fast eldar army's) the reason is there great at taking objectives which are vital in tournaments. in tournaments you probably will find lots of cheesed army's but they will often lose points for Amy composition. the atmosphere at tournaments is generally decent. i went to my first one went i was 16 i came second the only problem was some of the older players didn't like the fact i beat them i remember just before i played my last game these two 40 year old men talking about my army list and how one of them (which was my last opponent) could beat me, that made me smile.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 07:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezmir
Hello

Next year i am 16, and i was thinking maybe going to Tourney will be good fun and improve my skills on the table. Now what i am asking you is what armies are played, what is the cheese/power game rate (out of 10) what's the atmosphere like, what are the people like and finally what army would be good for tournaments. As i only have a Vostroyan guard army, and Guard are pants in competitive battles.

Thanks.
I attended my first tournament a few days ago. I saw a couple of completely cheese lists, but the overall atmosphere was great. Close to 2/3 of the armies there were MEQ's, and there was the usual Starcannons armies and such, but they didn't give me trouble much. Hooray for a balanced list!

If you were to play Guard, the only competitive Guard lists I've seen are Armored Company. They won't win every game, but either that, or a maxed Guard army with just Guardsmen everywhere might be a bit of a challenge as well.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 20:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

When you ask which army would be good for tournaments theres no single answer for that, however there is an reason why probably 3/4 people at tournaments are MEQ there easy to play great at adapting in battle and are forgiving to play which make them good for less experienced players. They also can be used to great affect. In tournaments you don't know what your going to be up against so what ever army you take it should be balanced but since you know theres lots of MEQs i slight preference to anti MEQ weapons like plasma usual is better. You can still take guard and do well it just depends on your army an your tactics, besides theres more fun winning with "less competitive" races. just go to the guard board and ask them to help and advise on competitive lists and tactics.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 11:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i attended my first GW store tourny a few days ago. At my IR we have a large amount of MEQ armies, but at the first battle they had a 3 vs 3 mega battle with 3 ultra marines, 1 black templar, 1 world eaters and some sort of eldar necron hybrid. I think the necrons where proxing jetbikes or something. So as you can see the plague has spread so far that even non-MEQ armies are using MEQ models.

Old 17 Jul 2006, 12:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Brutally powergamed beard lists will always hurt you in a tournament...no matter what.

Fielding a balanced list that's able to hurt a lot of things in different ways and is still able to take objectives, then you'll probably do fine all over...even if cheese freaks ravage you.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 17 Jul 2006, 13:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I find that Mobility is the most important aspect of a tournament list, Ive played against the typical "cheesy" iron warriors list in a tournament games and found that its really powerful in normal games but when it comes to random scenarios where objectives count for more than killing more points there only average. mobility allows you to take objectives easier and deny the enemy LoS to valuable units. in the tournaments ive played at most of the none MEQ armys seems to be MECH armys (tau,dark eldar,eldar)
Old 17 Jul 2006, 14:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

What you should expect really depends on the nature of the tournament.

Some tournaments are slug-fests. Those without sportsmanship scores should be considered "Gladiators" - the only thing that matters is winning, and the armies you will see will reflect that.

Others are self-policed by the social nature of the game.

In my area, we don't really see a lot of ultra-cheese (though Godzilla armies are popular), as we play a three-objective system, and sometimes, killing the opponent isn't even one of the objectives. While a maxxed-out Ulthwe Seer Council can dominate if all it has to do is kill the opponent, it suffers in that it cannot claim more than one table quarter, or objective.

You will most likely see more Marines/Chaos than anything else, but be wary of going too far trying to take advantage of that, because you might not see any. And, a good general can adapt to face any threat.

I played in one this weekend, with 20 people. From memory, there was:
1 Ork (me - Speed Freaks)
2 Dark Eldar
3 Tyranids (all godzilla style)
1 Imperial Guard
1 Lost and the Damned
3 Chaos (Iron Warriors, Death Guard, World Eaters)
1 Necron
3 Tau
2 Codex Marines
1 Space Wolves
1 Black Templars
1 ... (Can't recall)

As for saying Guard are pants in competative battles, the guard player won his first two games before I played him, and could have won that had a couple of dice rolls gone his way.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 11:53   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

From personal experience, if you go with an open mind, dont take offence to beardy lists, go there to enjoy yourself and aim to have fun and make it fun for your opponent, you'll have a great time.
Closed Thread