Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Casual players?
Closed Thread
Old 12 Jul 2006, 06:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Casual players?

How many people here don't see warhammer 40k as a hobby but rather just as a pastime (ex. videogames as opposed to deep-sea fishing)? How many people don't mind point efficiency and sticks three weapons on their commander or lonewolf, aren't particularly proud of their painting skills, or don't ever worry about rule abuse like dodging powerfists or "the brace"?

I'm curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 12 Jul 2006, 14:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Casual players?

Even if it is a passtime, you can still be proud to do it well.

If you're not going to take pride in something you do - anything at all - why do it?
Old 12 Jul 2006, 14:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
How many people here don't see warhammer 40k as a hobby but rather just as a pastime (ex. videogames as opposed to deep-sea fishing)? How many people don't mind point efficiency and sticks three weapons on their commander or lonewolf, aren't particularly proud of their painting skills, or don't ever worry about rule abuse like dodging powerfists or "the brace"?

I'm curious.

I happen to see it in several ways. With several groups, it's a competitive game. Cut throat and no holding back. No whining either. Just straight up hard gaming. With another group, it's more of a hobby. The armies are competent, balance is important, but the look is the most important thing. The painting is all very nice and the army is merely a shadow compared to the single miniatures that are worked out, to look incredibly nice (something most people wouldn't ever put on the table top). Then there's another group, total casual players. Stuff is usually put together, sometimes painted, sometimes not. Armies don't really matter. We call them "beer & chip" games. You just put things on the board, roll dice, and generally talk about things that don't involve the game at all.

The game can be many different things.

There's no need to lump it or anyone who plays it into a single category

Cheers!
Old 12 Jul 2006, 16:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates

My friends and I generally play outside. We have this big floating board we'll put in his pool sometimes, and the rest of us will just do random stuff while two people play.

We're never too serious when we play at home. The serious games are left for the game shop. When you play at home you play bowling with the dice (We have this one dice that is 1 1/2" to the side. My record is 22 orks.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 12 Jul 2006, 16:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiates

The serious games are left for the game shop.
I agree. When my friend and I play at his house, a barren dining room table works fine. We don't always take a morale check if a squad is 25% down.

But if we go to tournys, it gets a little more serious. But he still plays causually (I have yet to enter a tourny.)
Old 12 Jul 2006, 17:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Some of the most amusing and intense games I ever played entirely lacked Morale checks of any kind, had no mission objectives or victory points and were just pure fun...

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 12 Jul 2006, 17:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Even after half a year of gaming I still don't have all the rules memorized....

I play for fun, for friendship, and for the sake of painting models to fight with.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 17:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

I'm not rely proud of my skills(converting dosen't count) but I do care about winning though I only use 1 list though it has issues.

When I play at home the games go on an infinanite amout of turns and if a model falls(my dog,cat hits it) it's dead. Also the whole house is a board need to regroup move your devil fish to the bedroo or kichen.

At the store it'syou can't do that,yes,I,canEtc for 20 min if some roles a hit on a scater but still scatters it.(I've never played a game when morale is use ful)
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 17:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

I'd like to add a category to Mals three. The role players. The people who eat and breath fluff, read the novels, memorize the dexes, play inquisitor and simply love the 40K universe. For them making a character(whether its a commissar or chapter master), watching him and his army evolve is what the hobby is about. To write background stories and special rules are just as important as painting and converting. To them the models are just a physical representation of their fluff, and games are used to determine what happens in the armies history.

Also, the hobby category can be subdivided. On one, the people Mal mentioned who want their are to look great. The golden daemon players who spend weeks on a squad. But others love the hobby and paint and convert, but not becuase they care about how it looks. But because they want to create a unique army. They convert more than they paint, and try to make every model different. Their HQ are uber-ly converted, as are their retinue and command squads. This categry of player also coincides with the role player, although role players aren't as bothered about the models themselves.

Old 12 Jul 2006, 18:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

The only casual element to most gamers around here is their attitude towards personal grooming and hygiene.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Closed Thread