Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

3 player games?
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jul 2006, 17:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default 3 player games?

How do any of you play games greater than 2 people? I know that there are lots of 2 vs 2 games, but how could a person play with 2+ people where they are facing each other all at once?

Curious for suggestions.
Old 07 Jul 2006, 18:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates
Default Re: 3 player games?

The best one I've heard of was referred to as "vampire"

You can only attack the person on your left and only defend to the person on your right. It stops people from teaming up on one person, etc. Can also be used with 4+ people as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 07 Jul 2006, 20:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

Actually thats a great idea, since my friends always team up on me when we play three way.

Thanks Alcibiates

Old 07 Jul 2006, 20:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

Hang on, if you can only attack the person on your left, and defend the person on your right, then you'll be attacking them while they are defending you. Firing squad situation, you shoot them while they do nothing.

Old 07 Jul 2006, 21:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

When I played 3 player, it was 2/ 1000 piont armies and 1/ 500 piont army. Basicaly, the 2/ 1000 arimes can only fight each other, while the 500 tried to equally kill us and what's left tried to take down the 500 piont army.
Old 07 Jul 2006, 21:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

why Alcibiates, why didn't you mention that I was the one that told you about vampire?

Basically It uses the rules from vampire: the eternal struggle tcg, in that one player is always your prey (you can only attack them) and one player is always your predator (you can defend yourself against them, but you may not fire at them). And it makes it more interesting in that if your predator is destroyed then his predator is now your predator, meaning if your predators predator is a lot stronger than you can handle, then its in your best interest to help out your predator (like feeding him sacrificial units or throwing a dreadnought with las/ missile into close combat with one of his squads) until his predator is weak enough for you to handle.

I played a 4 player game like this on monday. It was me with dark angels, my prey was a khornate chaos marine army, his prey with black templars and my predator with diy marines (way too much power armor). Since 2 of the players were beginners and the templar player and me being experienced with our armies, it would have been way too one sided unless me and the templar faced off against each other. by playing Vampire rules we were able to have a good game, and it allowed one of the beginners to almost win (almost... Thank the emporer that my dark angels were able to pull it out in the end)

There is one caveat however: you can only play kill them all games in a Vampire game. if you try to play a regular mission you will find that it ends up devolving into a kill them all, or you will find yourself helpless to stop a player from winning because he has taken the victory condition and you can't touch him because he is neither your prey or your predator.

Also of note, even though it is a multiplayer varient, games go fast. at 2000 pts a side the game lasted 7 hours and 5 turns, and thats with a 45 minute dinner break.
Old 07 Jul 2006, 22:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sorry howl Couldn't remember who it was that had told me and didn't wanna give the wrong person the credit :-[
Quote:
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 07 Jul 2006, 22:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

thas cool

though my friends and I are looking for any other ideas for multiplayer...

we usually have somebody butt into our games, and we are kinda getting tired of playing until one army has no one left
Old 07 Jul 2006, 23:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

You could always make Risk cards, but for warhammer.

For anybody who's never played Risk, there are these cards that are like "Capture Asia" "Kill Blue" etc. that give you a specific objective to do and that is your win condition (or just killing everybody off)

So you could make something like that into win conditions. Such as kill your opponent's HQ/Elites, or... I dunno. It's just a vague idea right now and I'm way too tired to put it into realization :P
Quote:
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 08 Jul 2006, 11:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

I have an idea, its like vampire but slightly different.

Ok lets say there are four players, (aptly named P1, P2 etc) instead of having set turns, you put all the players names in a hat, the first players name out gets first turn that turn stage, they then draw a name from the hat for who gets their turn after, but also the person who got the first turn can only attack (fire upon and charge etc) the person who's turn it is afterwards.
Then the person who gets the second first turn attacks the next persons name out of the hat, who then gets their turn attacking the person who goes last, then the person who goes last gets to attack the person who goes first.
The names go into the hat again for the second turn so the person who gets first turn changes.
Also remember the names never go back into the hat until everyone has had a turn.

This can be done before or during the game (personal preference really)

For example with my four players

P3 gets first turn in Turn 1, then the next name out of the hat is P2, who P3 shoots at, then P2 draws a name and gets P1, who P2 then shoots at, then P1 shoots at P4 and P4 at P3.

Ok turn 2 starts with P2 getting first turn and shooting at P4, then P4 gets P1 and shoots at him, P1 shoots at P3 then P3 at P2

Then so on until turn 6 (or everyone but one player is killed)

Sound like a good idea or is it too complicated?

Closed Thread