Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eldar betrayal...
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jul 2006, 03:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Farseer Cold-Beer
Default Eldar betrayal...

Alright, me and some friends are having a 6 man game next week and there are 2 teams of 3, on one side Eldar (me), Tau and Space Wolves and on the other side Necrons, Tyranids and chaos right... And I am wondering, though I wouldnt do this but as I am Eldar would I be able to turn on my fello comrades during the battle??? and also would I be able to fire into combat if one of my allies and one of my enemies are in the fray...

Plus I think that there should be a rule, because Eldar, Tau and Space Marines are not allied as normal, along with fluff shouldnt in a close combat fight if me and an allie are both in it against a foe, should there be some sort of variable that means i might 'acidently' attack a friend... amoung the rules this is, because the allies might get confused because they are not normally allied...

What are your views?
Old 07 Jul 2006, 04:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Eldar betrayal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Cold-Beer
would I be able to turn on my fello comrades during the battle?
Off course! I do this all the time. Just make sure you do it when your original enemy is being annihilated though for more fun. Also make sure its a suprise to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Cold-Beer
and also would I be able to fire into combat if one of my allies and one of my enemies are in the fray...
No you cannot. In the rule book it is explained as firing into a group of friendly models. The only way this is possible is if you were to TURN SIDES!
Old 07 Jul 2006, 05:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ah... ok thank you... how bout if its a combat of only enemies... none of my troops are in it???
Old 07 Jul 2006, 06:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Well, I don't know what the rulebook says about that, but I just randomise the hits between squads. It makes life easier.
Old 07 Jul 2006, 06:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Personally I would never do this and would not allow an ally to do it in any battle I was in. I mean I suppose it might be fun for some but I see no reason to do it. Even if I was playing Eldar. Sure once the battle is nearly over I could do it but what would be the point? I suddenly get the wrath of all survivors against me, and even broken in a battle with 6 armies that could still end up being enough to rip you to shreds or cause you to lose. If I were your enemy in that battle Id be overjoyed if my enemies started killing each other and you cant be sure of an overwhelming victory. When you have 2 others to account for on your side the variables of how things can work out get very complicated.

Suppose two of your enemies are mauled, not totally crushed but they have lost about 50% of their forces give or take a little, not out of the fight but badly damaged nonetheless. The third is nearly annihilated with less than 10% of his forces left. One of your allies is down to 20% and another at around 70% and your own forces took damage in the fighting and even concervatively lets say you are down to 85% of your strength. In such large fights I find that usually turn limits are extended so you may still be facing a number of turns left even late in the game when much of the combat has boiled down and the game starts getting to a hunting stage where the remnants of each force regroup and head after the others. Thats still a combined total of an entire army for your enemy and some and far more on your own side. If you turned against your allies your now fighting 5 other armies, true two are pretty much out of the fight but the rest can still pack a punch. At the best of times it would not be tactically sound to do so. Any such betrayals would come after the battle is over and won and would pretty much constitute a new engagement. Now this is just a hypothetical but its an average of how I see battles turn out.

Anyway even from a fluff point I dont see it happening. The Eldar ally when they must and alliances fail and betrayals come when the common goal is gone and with the common enemy intact the Eldar would most likely stick to the alliance until it no longer benefited them. You can do it, it could be very fun. I just would not and wouldnt play with someone again if they did. Tactically unreliable and Id find it to be really not much fun.

However something to consider. In a 4 person free for all game. Everyone fights solo but people could make temporary alliances and then backstab. Thats something I have seen done and something I wouldnt mind because in such a game there are no technical "allies" in game terms and any such alliances are temporary agreements not to kill each other and focus on a greater threat then devolving into an every man for himself stand at the end which can be a lot of fun and still contain some nasty surprises but nobody will suddenly be made very angry and put off and everyone will be prepared for such things and have fun doing them. Remember the game should also be fun for your opponent and allies.

Old 07 Jul 2006, 11:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yer thats what we've done... but i didnt say i would... just asking if i could... but thanx
Old 07 Jul 2006, 12:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Would you like to still have some friends at the end of this battle?

It might be fluffy to betray your allies but not advised.
Old 07 Jul 2006, 12:46   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to TheCheckeredDemon

Haha, the other night some of my friends and I played a 2 on 2 game where everyone had 1850 points. It was Chaos and 'Nids versus Eldar and WH. and the plan was that once someone effectivly destroyed the other team the two people left playing were to turn on each other. But we started the game to late and never got to finish. I wish we could have finished.

"This could get interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'."
"...Oh god, oh god, we're all going to die?"
Old 07 Jul 2006, 20:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

On the other hand, you could make your own 'side' halfway through the battle. Allies in that combat? What allies? Where's that fire prisim...

Old 07 Jul 2006, 21:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You would think that the eldar would be intelligent enough to not attack their allies, at least not until all the common enemies are dead. and even then they might try to broker a settlement so that they could get their craftworld far away before blowing everything to kingdom come....

But that would be intelligent and the eldar are arrogant so go for it ;D